cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Greatest victory in state of Utah history. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7235)

SeattleUte 03-25-2007 08:43 PM

Greatest victory in state of Utah history.

Enjoy.

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?i...#message444651

YOhio 03-26-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 67540)

I prefer Weber State's victory over UNC just a couple of years later. It's remembered much more nationally.

cougjunkie 03-26-2007 01:03 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RnJbeswDpVg

I prefer this one

All-American 03-26-2007 02:32 AM

Ah, yes. The win wherewith Utah secured a second place finish.

Kentucky's bitches, evermore.

SeattleUte 03-26-2007 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67581)
Ah, yes. The win wherewith Utah secured a second place finish.

Kentucky's bitches, evermore.

BYU's bowl wins are like a zillion first round NCAA playoff wins Utah has had. BYU has never smelled a stage liket this. NO comparison. Urban Meyer's season did not come close to this, I'll admit.

I asked the other day on CB whether BYU had ever beaten a top 10 team in post season in any sport. You could hear a pin drop.

All-American 03-26-2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 67585)
BYU's bowl wins are like a zillion first round NCAA playoff wins Utah has had. BYU has never smelled a stage liket this. NO comparison. Urban Meyer's season did not come close to this, I'll admit.

I asked the other day on CB whether BYU had ever beaten a top 10 team in post season in any sport. You could hear a pin drop.

Next question, please?

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67610)

Next question, please?

Your answer, which is the year of the mythical national championship, is not a correct answer. Unless, of course, a 6-5 Michigan team was ranked in the top 10 that year.

SteelBlue 03-26-2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67611)
Unless, of course, a 6-5 Michigan team was ranked in the top 10 that year.

I still say that 6-5 Michigan team was better than that Pitt team Utah played in the Fiesta bowl.

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 67612)
I still say that 6-5 Michigan team was better than that Pitt team Utah played in the Fiesta bowl.

That may very well be, but what does that say about that '84 BYU team? Didn't it have to score a TD late in the game to get the win? The Utes destroyed Pitt. It was a joke that the BCS made Utah play that team.

I'm not comparing the '04 Ute team to the '84 BYU team - I was just pointing out to AA that his answer was wrong. ;)

All-American 03-26-2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67614)
That may very well be, but what does that say about that '84 BYU team? Didn't it have to score a TD late in the game to get the win? The Utes destroyed Pitt. It was a joke that the BCS made Utah play that team.

I'm not comparing the '04 Ute team to the '84 BYU team - I was just pointing out to AA that his answer was wrong. ;)

I wasn't answering that question. Seattle claimed BYU had never sniffed the stage Utah reached by achieving a second place finish. As a matter of face, we've done even better than that.

And calling it mythical isn't going to erase the trophy or the name at the top of the polls at the year's end.

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67618)
I wasn't answering that question. Seattle claimed BYU had never sniffed the stage Utah reached by achieving a second place finish. As a matter of face, we've done even better than that.

Got it. My bad.

tooblue 03-26-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67611)
Your answer, which is the year of the mythical national championship, is not a correct answer. Unless, of course, a 6-5 Michigan team was ranked in the top 10 that year.

No matter how hard y'all try, Yewta althetic accomplishments cannot not compare to a national championship.

It's what it is, can't be taken away, can't be dimished ... keep spouting the same smack over and over ... by the way, Urban Meyer won the Fiesta bowl -what team was he coaching again, the national media doesn't even care, they just know Urban won the game ;)

Brian 03-26-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 67637)
No matter how hard y'all try, Yewta althetic accomplishments cannot not compare to a national championship.

It's what it is, can't be taken away, can't be dimished ... keep spouting the same smack over and over ... by the way, Urban Meyer won the Fiesta bowl -what team was he coaching again, the national media doesn't even care, they just know Urban won the game ;)

Okay, but the U does have a national championship in a major sport.

'84 was a great year for the zoo. It's too bad they couldn't have had a real opponent in a major bowl game and better settled all the hub-bub since.
Maybe in the alternative universe game for the PS-19383093 in heaven, we can accurately play an '84 BYU vs. wash or fla and see what happens. Or the fiesta utes vs one of (texas/mich/auburn/vtech)

ute4ever 03-26-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 67642)
Maybe in the alternative universe game for the PS-19383093 in heaven, we can accurately play an '84 BYU vs. wash or fla and see what happens.

Was Steve Young the QB on the '84 team? If so, he won't be in heaven, because we all know what happens to people who make a career out of breaking the sabbath.

Archaea 03-26-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 67655)
Was Steve Young the QB on the '84 team? If so, he won't be in heaven, because we all know what happens to people who make a career out of breaking the sabbath.

yes they become utefans with Giac as their eternal basketball coach, and Chuck Stobart as their eternal football coach.

Brian 03-26-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 67642)
Okay, but the U does have a national championship in a major sport.

'84 was a great year for the zoo. It's too bad they couldn't have had a real opponent in a major bowl game and better settled all the hub-bub since.
Maybe in the alternative universe game for the PS-19383093 in heaven, we can accurately play an '84 BYU vs. wash or fla and see what happens. Or the fiesta utes vs one of (texas/mich/auburn/vtech)

As a side note, I still don't think they were the best team in '84. The whole undefeated thing is hooey, especially when you play such a weak schedule.
I'm undefeated in arm wrestling matches in my home (vs. wife and teenage daughter, that doesn't mean I can go for the title on the ESPN tough guy show). I have the same thoughts on the fiesta utah team. in no way do i think they deserved a shot at the title, they weren't that good, and their weak schedule never tested them.

But, I could be wrong, we'll never know until we break out the PS in heaven.

Archaea 03-26-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 67659)
As a side note, I still don't think they were the best team in '84. The whole undefeated thing is hooey, especially when you play such a weak schedule.
I'm undefeated in arm wrestling matches in my home (vs. wife and teenage daughter, that doesn't mean I can go for the title on the ESPN tough guy show). I have the same thoughts on the fiesta utah team. in no way do i think they deserved a shot at the title, they weren't that good, and their weak schedule never tested them.

Florida was the best team but they were on probation for rules infractions. Charlie Pell bought a damn good team that year.

Whether they were best or not is arguable. None of the teams were that great. Ok lost to an okay UW team, a team that failed to even win its conference. NB lost to Syracuse or Kansas. It wasn't a stellar year. And BYU was good, not great. We played the rules and won. Best? Who cares.

Goatnapper'96 03-26-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

cal

'84 was a serious down year for college football. I do find comfort in knowing the good teams offered to prove BYU was not all that and a bag of chips lacked the testicular fortitude to play the BYU.

That is why Seattle Ute loves them so, they are testicular fortitude lackers...one and all!

Venkman 03-26-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

As a side note, I still don't think they were the best team in '84.

Hundreds of sportswriters and coaches disagree with you.

But if I need your opinion on the deeper meaning of a scripture story, I'll give you a holler. :-)

Venkman 03-26-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 67666)
cal

'84 was a serious down year for college football. I do find comfort in knowing the good teams offered to prove BYU was not all that and a bag of chips lacked the testicular fortitude to play the BYU.

That is why Seattle Ute loves them so, they are testicular fortitude lackers...one and all!

I take comfort in the fact that we made the Huskies our bitch the following year.

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 67637)

I'm not diminishing it at all. BYU did everything it had to do wo win the mythical national championship. And yes, it is mythical because it was determined by voters. That is a fact that can't be denied.

SteelBlue 03-26-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67780)
I'm not diminishing it at all. BYU did everything it had to do wo win the mythical national championship. And yes, it is mythical because it was determined by voters. That is a fact that can't be denied.

As it was every year.

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 67791)
As it was every year.

Exactly. Until Division I football finally catches up with the rest of the world of college sports, it's champion will always be mythical which is a sad thing.

Because the NCAA is all about money now, a football playoff would generate more money than the NCAA would know what to do with.

SeattleUte 03-27-2007 04:47 AM

Thanks all for contributing. I think this thread establishes that Utah's win over no. 1 ranked North Carolina in the 1998 Final Four was the greatest victory by any Utah team in any sport (edging out that same Utah team's win over no. 2 ranked and defending national champ Arizona a week before).

All-American 03-27-2007 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67794)
Exactly. Until Division I football finally catches up with the rest of the world of college sports, it's champion will always be mythical which is a sad thing.

Because the NCAA is all about money now, a football playoff would generate more money than the NCAA would know what to do with.

And yet you referred to 1984 as the year of the mythical championship?

Nice.

All-American 03-27-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 67888)
Thanks all for contributing. I think this thread establishes that Utah's win over no. 1 ranked North Carolina in the 1998 Final Four was the greatest victory by any Utah team in any sport (edging out that same Utah team's win over no. 2 ranked and defending national champ Arizona a week before).

Nah, I'll go with Miami.

And I actually have a decent reason why. Rankings don't matter in basketball. The fact that UNC was voted #1 meant absolutely nothing in a sport where the champion is determined on the court. It actually matters that Miami was ranked #1 when BYU beat them.

I do admit that at least part of the reason I'm responding such is out of beligerence.

il Padrino Ute 03-27-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67900)
And yet you referred to 1984 as the year of the mythical championship?

Nice.

Yes, I did. It was the year of the mythical championship. As was every year before and after.

My mistake was specifying BYU's mythical championship.

No worries, I'd like to have one for Utah.

All-American 03-27-2007 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67903)
Yes, I did. It was the year of the mythical championship. As was every year before and after.

My mistake was specifying BYU's mythical championship.

No worries, I'd like to have one for Utah.

If that's how you felt, you would have referred to 1984 as "a year in an era of mythical championships." You don't get to weasle out of this one, mon frere.

il Padrino Ute 03-27-2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67904)
If that's how you felt, you would have referred to 1984 as "a year in an era of mythical championships." You don't get to weasle out of this one, mon frere.

To quote Rocky "If that's what you want to believe, go ahead." ;)

All-American 03-27-2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67905)
To quote Rocky "If that's what you want to believe, go ahead." ;)

Apostate.

il Padrino Ute 03-27-2007 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67906)
Apostate.

I know, I know. You just call it like you see it, right?

I'm not afraid to speak the truth.