cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Question for those in the Los Angeles area (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15385)

ute4ever 12-29-2007 01:31 AM

Question for those in the Los Angeles area

I am in the Bay Area right now, and tomorrow will finish working around 4 and driving home. I want to stop at Philippe's for a late dinner but if I don't get there before they close at 10, can you recommend a consolation establishment for my dining pleasure?

TripletDaddy 12-29-2007 03:45 AM

What a coincidence.....my family is all meeting at Phillipe's for lunch tomorrow. We are taking the kids up on the Metrolink...they love riding the train and subway.

If you are talking about getting there past 10, then your options in that area are limited.

If you wanted a nice late greasy treat within striking distance, you can try these two:

1. Cielito Lindo (at the end of Olvera St...about 3 blocks down from Phillipes on the corner of Alameda and Cesar Chavez). Taquitos with the classic green gaucamole sauce. This stand has been there for over 60 years serving taquitos. Probably longer. Not a sit down, though.
2. Tommy's. The original one on Rampart and Beverly...from Philippes, go to the 101, take it North, go about 2 miles or so and get off on Rampart. The offramp will dump you off on the East side of the 101. Turn back around and get back on Rampart heading West. Go about 3 blocks to Beverly. You will see the famous red shack. and a line of people.

Are you coming down the 5? what kind of food are you looking for? If you want late dining with sit down, there are really good Korean BBQ places in K-town, good sushi and shabu shabu houses in J-Town (although likely closed at that hour), plus lots of other classic options (pinks, apple pan, etc).

il Padrino Ute 12-29-2007 04:27 AM

I was under the impression that dining in LA begins and ends with In-N-Out. Am I wrong?

TripletDaddy 12-29-2007 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 167865)
I was under the impression that dining in LA begins and ends with In-N-Out. Am I wrong?

Fortunately, yes.

In and Out is a good burger, but that is about it. I cannot imagine why it would be a destination meal for anyone.

When in LA, you should try Tommy's or Apple Pan for other interesting takes on burgers, and Pinks for hot dogs, if you are looking for fast food staples.

ute4ever 12-29-2007 05:10 AM

Ooh I forgot about Tommy's, I've never been there. Maybe I'll skip lunch and eat at both!

il Padrino Ute 12-29-2007 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 167878)
Fortunately, yes.

In and Out is a good burger, but that is about it. I cannot imagine why it would be a destination meal for anyone.

When in LA, you should try Tommy's or Apple Pan for other interesting takes on burgers, and Pinks for hot dogs, if you are looking for fast food staples.

Well, I'm not much of a fan of In-N-Out so I don't bother eating there.

I found a better burger (IMO) at that place in Huntington Beach that was at the end of a pier. I heard it fell into the ocean.

TripletDaddy 12-29-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 167886)
Well, I'm not much of a fan of In-N-Out so I don't bother eating there.

I found a better burger (IMO) at that place in Huntington Beach that was at the end of a pier. I heard it fell into the ocean.

Ruby's Diner. Still there. I find I/O burgers to be better, but Ruby's always seems to taste good because you are starving from being at the beach all day. Also, it is fun to watch all the Vietnamese folks gutting fish that they catch off the edge of the pier.

TripletDaddy 12-29-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 167881)
Ooh I forgot about Tommy's, I've never been there. Maybe I'll skip lunch and eat at both!

Wow, that would definitely be a serious violation of the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. Tommy's is not for those who lack intestinal fortitude.

If you do go to Tommy's, you MUST get the chili cheeseburger. If you get the sissyburger, you have gone off the reservation and I can no longer vouch.

Also, cheese fries (no need for chili cheese fries, as you will have plenty of extra chili from the burger....use it for dipping your fries).

And can of soda, available in the coolers (you will know what I am talking about when you get there).

If you want to eat it like a true Angelino, get a side of yellow chili peppers (free) and consume a few of those with your meal.

Once you are done, drive very quickly to SD and a clean bathroom.

ute4ever 12-29-2007 03:59 PM

According to Tommy's website, they have a location in San Diego. I was not aware of that. So perhaps this evening I will have my appetizer at Cielito Lindo, followed by dinner at Philippe's, and will hit up Tommy's next week.

As Ice Cube would say, I think today will be a good day.

TripletDaddy 12-29-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 167919)
According to Tommy's website, they have a location in San Diego. I was not aware of that. So perhaps this evening I will have my appetizer at Cielito Lindo, followed by dinner at Philippe's, and will hit up Tommy's next week.

As Ice Cube would say, I think today will be a good day.

OK, that sounds good. Yes, Tommy's is in SD, too, but the original red shack is the one in LA (just for informational purposes, I guess). The burger will be good either way.

I have never eaten at CL and Phillipes in one sitting. That could be interesting.

When I go to CL, I always get the same thing: 6 taquitos, avocado sauce, rice, beans, pineapple soda (they dont sell horchata, unfortunately).

When I go to Phillipes: 2 beef double dips with swiss, hard boiled egg (pickled), lemonade, loads of yellow chili peppers on the side, and I alternate desserts: a baked apple, cheesecake, or coffee cake.

Have you ever eaten at Cole's? It is on 6th street downtown. they go back and forth with Phillipe's as to who invented the sandwich first. The problem with Cole's is that it is about 3 blocks from skid row, so enjoy. The sandwich is good, though. I prefer Phillipe's....the sawdust on the floor, the spicy mustard, and the proximity to the Ravine....1000 times better experience than Cole's.....but if you love food, you should still check out Cole's one of these days.

ute4ever 01-02-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 167916)
Tommy's is not for those who lack intestinal fortitude. If you go, you MUST get the chili cheeseburger. Also, cheese fries (no need for chili cheese fries, as you will have plenty of extra chili from the burger....use it for dipping your fries).And can of soda, available in the coolers (you will know what I am talking about when you get there).

http://www.mylittleutefan.com/tommyburger.jpg

Well because I couldn't let the online guy who I've never met think that I'm a sissy, I got the "Tommy Mega Combo" for lunch today. It included a triple chili cheeseburger, chili cheese fries and a 44 oz. pepsi for $8.75. I somehow managed to eat the whole thing. See the shine on the hamburger bun? It's a layer of grease.

Now I am going to have nothing but fat free cottage cheese and broth soups for the next three days, but that's another issue.

Jeff Lebowski 01-02-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 168987)

Well because I couldn't let the online guy who I've never met think that I'm a sissy, I got the "Tommy Mega Combo" for lunch today. It included a triple chili cheeseburger, chili cheese fries and a 44 oz. pepsi for $8.75. I somehow managed to eat the whole thing. See the shine on the hamburger bun? It's a layer of grease.

Now I am going to have nothing but fat free cottage cheese and broth soups for the next three days, but that's another issue.

Do you have a death wish?

TripletDaddy 01-02-2008 09:29 PM

Yum. nice. I ate the same thing yesterday at the Rose Bowl.

did you get the yellow chili peppers, too?

You can only eat at Tommy's about once every few months. Anything more and you are taking your life into your own hands.

PS Technically, did say no need for chili on the cheese fries because you would have enough from the burger. But more power to you!

ute4ever 01-02-2008 09:31 PM

They gave me several coupons with my order, such as get a free burger with the purchase of a combo meal. The food was good, but I put the coupons in the shredder. I'm not going back.

ute4ever 01-03-2008 05:54 PM

22 hours later and my stomach is still not hungry in the least. How much grease was in that meal?

SipiTau 01-04-2008 06:51 PM

I have to say, I invested many a dollar at Tommy's while in school. My stomach can't handle the chili any longer.

If you're ever in the Culver City area, you should try Tito's Tacos on Washington Blvd off the 405; I recommend the tacos and all meat burrito w/cheese. Then walk next door to Johnnie's and pick up the best pastrami sandwich in LA.

ute4ever 01-04-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SipiTau (Post 170265)
If you're ever in the Culver City area, you should try Tito's Tacos on Washington Blvd off the 405; I recommend the tacos and all meat burrito w/cheese. Then walk next door to Johnnie's and pick up the best pastrami sandwich in LA.

Been to Tito's and have had both of those items. I also could spend eternity with their cheese enchiladas.

Haven't been to Johnnie's; I've never left Tito's with any available room in my stomach. The next time I am in town I'll have to go there and to Apple Pan.

TripletDaddy 01-04-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 170272)
Been to Tito's and have had both of those items. I also could spend eternity with their cheese enchiladas.

Haven't been to Johnnie's; I've never left Tito's with any available room in my stomach. The next time I am in town I'll have to go there and to Apple Pan.

Correction...best pastrami sandwich in LA (and the country, as voted on by Zagat, amongst others) is Langers on 7th and Alverado. YUM! Also, you can buy fake IDs and Drivers liceneses outside on the corner.

ute4ever 06-11-2008 02:58 PM

Had the single Fatburger combo on Saturday, which was horribly overpriced at $9.79.
The relish was a bit much.
If you eat the Triple King burger (24 oz. of hamburger), you get your photo on the wall and a free prize. I'll save that one for Triplet Daddy.

http://www.mylittleutefan.com/fatburger.JPG

And what better to wash it down with than this?

http://www.mylittleutefan.com/479.JPG

TripletDaddy 06-11-2008 03:28 PM

I'm fly at Fatburger when I'm way out West.

Did you add bacon, onion rings, and fried egg?

TheSizzle36 06-11-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 230777)
I'm fly at Fatburger when I'm way out West.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...3&postcount=17

You are a bit late with that my friend.

ute4ever 07-03-2008 03:11 AM

It's been six months since I posted this question, and now need additional ideas.

Between July 9-19 I'll be passing through the western L.A. valley four times. I've been to Phillipe's, Tommy's, Ruby's, Tito's, and Cielito Lindo. Haven't made it to Cole's or Johnnie's. What else do you recommend?

SipiTau 07-07-2008 09:53 PM

Here's a few:

The Apple Pan: (across the street from Westside Pavillion): Their hamburgers are top notch.

The Shack: (Playa Del Rey-off Culver Blvd): Good burgers, haven't eaten there in some time.

Jay Bee's BBQ: (Gardena-off Avalon Blvd): My favorite bbq joint.

Aunty Kizzy's (Marina Del Rey): Southern/Soul Food. Frequent stop of NBA players when they're in town. If you go, make sure to have dessert.

El Rocoto (Gardena-Artesia/Normandie Blvd). Great Peruvian food; much better than El Pollo Inka.

TripletDaddy 07-07-2008 10:15 PM

Agreed on Apple Pan. Great burgers....get the hickory burger. Also, everyone gets a slice of apple pie.

Your list was surprisingly devoid of Pinks. Pinks is an institution, so you really need to go at least once. To get the full experience...go late....like midnight. Nothing like standing in line for 45 minutes at midnight to get a hot dog.

FYI, Coles is closed down, at least for now. There was a lot of construction along 6th street and so Cole's closed up its shop. The signage is still there, so perhaps they will re-open at some point. Hopefully, because that place was good.

If you want to go to J-town, go to Shabu Shabu...always packed, open at weird hours, and very delicious.

For the moster burrito of all time, go to El Tepeyac in East LA.

If you are around during lunch hours....the best pastrami sandwich in the country....Langer's Deli on 7th and Alvarado. I plugged this one before, but it is worth it. Let me know if you plan on going.

Also, I will bet dollars to donuts that Sipi has eaten his fair share of late-night at Chano's. The old chorizo burrito is pretty tasty. Good luck understanding anything through that awful drive-through speakerbox.

SipiTau 07-07-2008 10:55 PM

I'm not too big on Pinks, but you're absolutely spot on about having to experience it.

I've had my fair share of Chano's and their burritos are great. My buddies and I used to call our food runs the triple crown: Philipe's, Tommy's and then topped off with a burrito from Chano's...good times.

ute4ever 07-07-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SipiTau (Post 238783)
My buddies and I used to call our food runs the triple crown: Philipe's, Tommy's and then topped off with a burrito from Chano's...good times.

You ate at all three consecutively? Dang.

TripletDaddy 07-08-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SipiTau (Post 238783)
I'm not too big on Pinks, but you're absolutely spot on about having to experience it.

I've had my fair share of Chano's and their burritos are great. My buddies and I used to call our food runs the triple crown: Philipe's, Tommy's and then topped off with a burrito from Chano's...good times.

Why not end it all with a 4th addition....a short pit stop at La Taquiza, right off Adams and Fig.......those mulitas and al pastors are basically what the gods eat when they are in town for an SC football game.

Speaking of SC football, single game tickets go onsale July 20. I am crossing my fingers for Luckeyes tickets. I wish my brother played for SC.....

ute4ever 07-13-2008 03:55 PM

Went to Johnny's last Wednesday and had the pastrami sandwich; for $10.50 I would like more than an 8 oz. sandwich but fwiw it was yum.

Went to Chano's and asked for the Chano's burrito, for the element of surprise. I'm not too sure what was on it but it was great. Afterwards I intended to drive to Pink's but the 101 was PACKED (at 10pm on a Saturday) so I took side roads like 3rd and Vermont, and got there in no time. However, the line was around the corner, and around the next corner, and around the next corner. Forget that. Stupid cultists. And by then my Chano's had settled in and I wasn't hungry anymore, so I intended to leave, but the 101 southbound was also at a snail's crawl, so I tried to work my way to the 10, again on side roads like Wilshire and Alameda, but apparently drove right past it and didn't realize it, therefore staying south on Alameda, until suddenly my maps pointed out that I was a mile from Compton. Hmm, maybe I could ask people to point me to the street where Boys N the Hood was filmed, and take pictures. Or not. Instead I U-turned and pulled into some dive called Hurcules Restaurant just off the 105 and Imperial Hwy, to find a highway link to San Diego, and some arrogant Korean/Laos/Hispanic/Thai/Malaysian mix employee bullied me into ordering something for using his parking lot. So I got a carne asada quesadilla, drove home and put it in the fridge, and just had it for breakfast, and it was as good as I've had.

On Tuesday I'll be in Solvang. Any recommendations there? I hope someplace has Kringles.