cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ancestry roll call (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9718)

Venkman 07-06-2007 03:36 PM

ancestry roll call

I like this sort of stuff...

What's your racial/ethnic makeup? Are you proud of it? What brought your ancestors to America?

Me:
1/4 German
1/4 Swiss (German speaking)
1/4 English
1/4 Danish

English - Mixed bag. The ideals this country was founded upon are essentially English. But English rulers were oppressors and a-holes.

German/Swiss - ehh <shrugs shoulders>

Danish - Vikings are cool.

I wish I had some Scottish blood. I admire their independent fighting spirit. Plus bagpipes rule. I wouldn't mind a little Cherokee as well to spice things up.

The Church brought 7/8 of me to America. The remainder dates back to Puritan times.

Surfah 07-06-2007 03:45 PM

1/2 English
1/4 Hawaiian
1/8 Japanese
1/8 Chinese

My mother's side was baptized in Yorkshire, England and made the trek with the saints a few generations ago. They settled in Bountiful and then eventually migrated to eastern Idaho.

My father's side was baptized in Hawaii around the turn of the century. Great-great grandparents were full Japanese and Chinese. Ah-puck and Kawashima. They came to Hawaii seeking work in the cane fields. I also, have some Portuguese, my grandmother was a Coelho, but they're the Pollocks of Polynesia so we just as soon not acknowledge it.

FMCoug 07-06-2007 03:48 PM

1/2 English
1/4 Swede
1/4 Mutt (German, Irish, Scottish, Cherokee, who knows what else. This line has been here since before the Revolution)

Venkman 07-06-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 98307)
1/2 English
1/4 Swede
1/4 Mutt (German, Irish, Scottish, Cherokee, who knows what else. This line has been here since before the Revolution)

Does the mutt side come from appalachia or the south? Seems like everyone down there is scotch irish with a little cherokee mixed in.

FMCoug 07-06-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 98324)
Does the mutt side come from appalachia or the south? Seems like everyone down there is scotch irish with a little cherokee mixed in.

Kind of all over. I think most of that line was in Ohio. Though there is some in Kentucky as well. So of the two choices I guess appalachia is more likely. My great grandmother's family moved to Oklahoma in the late 1800's and then went West in the early 1900's (pre dust bowl .. my grandmother was an infant at the time and was born in 1911). But they were dirt poor to the point that they went from Oklahoma to Colorado via covered Wagon. Homesteaded near Colorado Springs and ultimately moved on to CA.

Another interesting note on that line. One of my direct ancestors is Obadiah Allen, first cousin to Ethan Allen of Revolutionary War fame. Obadiah fought as well and my grandma was big into the DAR and genealogy. Which was nice when I joined the church. :)

cougjunkie 07-06-2007 04:13 PM

1/4 Portuguese (my grandparents on my moms side immigrated here from Portugal, believe it or not their last names are Santos)
1/4 Potawatomi indian (my grandfather on my dads side was an indian chief, he married my grandma who is white and was a school teacher on the reservation)
1/4 Polish- my grandma is a pollock through and through
1/4- mutt (french canadian, spanish, dutch)

Venkman 07-06-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 98339)
1/4 Portuguese (my grandparents on my moms side immigrated here from Portugal, believe it or not their last names are Santos)
1/4 Potawatomi indian (my grandfather on my dads side was an indian chief, he married my grandma who is white and was a school teacher on the reservation)
1/4 Polish- my grandma is a pollock through and through
1/4- mutt (french canadian, spanish, dutch)

what part of the country are the Potawatomi indians from?

cougjunkie 07-06-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 98356)

My grandparents lived on a reservation in Kansas, but they are originally from Michigan and Wisconsin.

The Borg 07-06-2007 04:59 PM

1/2 English
1/2 Scandanavian (1/4 Danish & 1/4 Swedish) ...or thereabouts.

jay santos 07-06-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 98356)

Potawatomi is the county name for Council Bluffs, Iowa winter's quarters.

jay santos 07-06-2007 06:06 PM

Mostly English with some Danish and other European.

Indy Coug 07-06-2007 06:16 PM

Here it is in descending order

English
Icelandic
German
Norwegian
Danish
Samoan

nikuman 07-06-2007 06:41 PM

In order:

Ukranian
French (via the Huguenots and Canada)
English
Scandanavian
Sioux Indian

I'm also 1/2 Japanese, but that's a different story that's not reflected in my DNA.

marsupial 07-06-2007 06:50 PM

French
German
English
Welsch

My father's father was born and raised in San Francisco by a French mother and a German father, both immigrants. Maybe it's because of all my grandparents, I liked him the best, or maybe it's just that I have romanticized the idea being an immigrant in San Francisco in the early 1900s, but I am proudest of my French and German heritage.

UtahDan 07-06-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 98305)
1/2 English
1/4 Hawaiian
1/8 Japanese
1/8 Chinese

My mother's side was baptized in Yorkshire, England and made the trek with the saints a few generations ago. They settled in Bountiful and then eventually migrated to eastern Idaho.

My father's side was baptized in Hawaii around the turn of the century. Great-great grandparents were full Japanese and Chinese. Ah-puck and Kawashima. They came to Hawaii seeking work in the cane fields. I also, have some Portuguese, my grandmother was a Coelho, but they're the Pollocks of Polynesia so we just as soon not acknowledge it.

This reminds me of one of the funniest King of the Hill episodes:

HANK: So, are you Chinese or Japanese?
KHAN: I live in California last twenty years, but first come from Laos.
HANK: Huh?
KHAN: Laos. We Laotian.
BILL: The ocean? What ocean?
KHAN: We are Laotian. From Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in Southeast Asia. It's between Vietnam and Thailand, okay? Population 4.7 million.
HANK: [after a long pause and a blank stare] So, are you Chinese or Japanese?

So, surfah......are you chinese or japanese? :-)

Actually I think I would have guessed that you were a caucasian/islander/asian combo. Some slight asian facial features but to damn big to not have some poly in there.

UtahDan 07-06-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 98418)
In order:

Ukranian
French (via the Huguenots and Canada)
English
Scandanavian
Sioux Indian

I'm also 1/2 Japanese, but that's a different story that's not reflected in my DNA.

Interestingly, I am also a Huguenot decendent. Remi's.

BigFatMeanie 07-06-2007 07:23 PM

3/4 English/Welsh
1/4 German

Mormon Red Death 07-06-2007 07:29 PM

Ephraimite....

Surfah 07-06-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 98427)
This reminds me of one of the funniest King of the Hill episodes:

HANK: So, are you Chinese or Japanese?
KHAN: I live in California last twenty years, but first come from Laos.
HANK: Huh?
KHAN: Laos. We Laotian.
BILL: The ocean? What ocean?
KHAN: We are Laotian. From Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in Southeast Asia. It's between Vietnam and Thailand, okay? Population 4.7 million.
HANK: [after a long pause and a blank stare] So, are you Chinese or Japanese?

So, surfah......are you chinese or japanese? :-)

Actually I think I would have guessed that you were a caucasian/islander/asian combo. Some slight asian facial features but to damn big to not have some poly in there.

That episode was hilarious. As my fiance pointed out during a game of table tennis where I proclaimed that I was going to whoop her ass because I am Chinese, I am whatever I need to be when it's convenient. And she's right.

I do get that question though quite a bit. I tell them my last name is Chong. And then they ask, so is that Chinese or Japanese? The Korean Club at BYU used to call me every semester as well. And everyone on my mission thought I was latin. I'd explain that I was from Hawaii and then they'd say, but your parents are from Mexico?

I wish I had more height and size though. My father's oldest brother makes my dad look like a runt. And you've seen my old man.

UtahDan 07-06-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 98442)
That episode was hilarious. As my fiance pointed out during a game of table tennis where I proclaimed that I was going to whoop her ass because I am Chinese, I am whatever I need to be when it's convenient. And she's right.

I do get that question though quite a bit. I tell them my last name is Chong. And then they ask, so is that Chinese or Japanese? The Korean Club at BYU used to call me every semester as well. And everyone on my mission thought I was latin. I'd explain that I was from Hawaii and then they'd say, but your parents are from Mexico?

I wish I had more height and size though. My father's oldest brother makes my dad look like a runt. And you've seen my old man.

I don't remember your dad as being a huge guy. I remember him being a good sized guy who is hard as a rock and tough as nails. Didn't he play hoops for like an hour with a pretty badly broken finger?

mpfunk 07-06-2007 07:47 PM

I'm a honky.

ChinoCoug 07-06-2007 07:48 PM

98% Chinese
2% Taiwanese aboriginal

Dad came to the states for graduate school.

Surfah 07-06-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 98446)
I don't remember your dad as being a huge guy. I remember him being a good sized guy who is hard as a rock and tough as nails. Didn't he play hoops for like an hour with a pretty badly broken finger?

Yes. He's not big, 6', 225 or so but he's in ridiculous shape at his age. It's sad really. He's nearly twice my age and can still beat me at most everything I do. And he doesn't let me forget it either. I remember working out with him right after I got home from the mission at Quantico and he was repping 300lbs on the bench press without a spotter. I am too embarrassed to post what I was lifting...mission arms, mission arms.

FarrahWaters 07-06-2007 08:14 PM

1/2 Japanese. My mom came to the states after she was baptized.

1/2 English/French/Irish, some sort of mix

When I was younger, I used to get asked all the time what I was mixed with. (Usually by older men, so it was a little creepy when they'd smile and say, "good mix" when I told them.) People usually guess wrong, that I'm part Chinese, Vietnamese, Philipino. Except for other Asians-- they all can guess with the first try that I'm part Japanese.

Also, I frequently get honked and yelled at by truckloads of waving Mexican immigrants when I drive on the freeway. So from a distance, maybe I look Latina :)

cougjunkie 07-06-2007 08:22 PM

my wife is 100% mayan indian.

Jeff Lebowski 07-06-2007 08:45 PM

1/2 Welsh
1/2 Scandanavian

(roughly)

SteelBlue 07-06-2007 09:05 PM

1/2 English/Welsh
1/2 Danish

Lost Student 07-06-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 98462)
Also, I frequently get honked and yelled at by truckloads of waving Mexican immigrants when I drive on the freeway. So from a distance, maybe I look Latina :)

That's funny, my wife is 1/4 Korean. Mexicans are always hitting on her, thinking she is Latina. When we lived in Arizona for a while, I felt the need to be a little protective of her.

creekster 07-06-2007 09:17 PM

100% western european mutt. There may be some mediterranean somethign in there, however, as I do brown up pretty nicely in the summer sun.

I too, have been honked at by truckloads of immigrants, but I don't think it was fo rmy bronze skin. They were also waving fingers.

Lost Student 07-06-2007 09:36 PM

I am:

1/8 German
1/8 Brazilian
3/4 Welsh/English/whatever else

My maternal grandmother was born in Brazil to a Brazillian father (don't know where his ancestors were from; perhaps Germany) and German mother.
Maternal grandfather's main ancestry was Scottish I think
Paternal Grandfather's line comes from Wales, settled in Malad with the other Welsh peoples
Maternal Grandmother's line from England-ish.

Because my last name is Welsh, I share something in common with the following people:
http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_...s_portrait.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Jones_2005.jpg

SoCalCoug 07-06-2007 09:37 PM

A comedian had a good line the other night on Last Comic Standing.

He is clearly Asian-appearing.

"It's hard being Chinese . . . because I'm Japanese."

cougjunkie 07-06-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost Student (Post 98481)
I am:

1/8 German
1/8 Brazilian
3/4 Welsh/English/whatever else

My maternal grandmother was born in Brazil to a Brazillian father (don't know where his ancestors were from; perhaps Germany) and German mother.
Maternal grandfather's main ancestry was Scottish I think
Paternal Grandfather's line comes from Wales, settled in Malad with the other Welsh peoples
Maternal Grandmother's line from England-ish.

Because my last name is Welsh, I share something in common with the following people:
http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_...s_portrait.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Jones_2005.jpg

Are you related to this Welsch?
http://www.bvkholice.cz/jgolden.jpg

Lost Student 07-06-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 98484)
Are you related to this Welsch?
http://www.bvkholice.cz/jgolden.jpg

I hope not.

Edit: although I probably play basketball like him:

"During his stint in Cleveland, Welsch was best known for frequently dribbling the ball off his foot and wildly missing open jump shots."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiri_Welsch

SoonerCoug 07-06-2007 11:05 PM

~1/3rd German
~1/3rd English
1/8th Italian
1/8th Welsh
1/16th Swiss
1/16th Irish

SoonerUte 07-06-2007 11:07 PM

7/8ths Danish
1/8th English

BigFatMeanie 07-06-2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 98502)
~1/3rd German
~1/3rd English
1/8th Italian
1/8th Welsh
1/16th Swiss
1/16th Irish

How can you be a 3rd of something? Is incest a skeleton in your family closet?

nikuman 07-06-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 98462)
People usually guess wrong, that I'm part Chinese, Vietnamese, Philipino. Except for other Asians-- they all can guess with the first try that I'm part Japanese.

Those of us who know almost never get it wrong. The looks are completely distinct.

Lost Student 07-07-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 98515)
How can you be a 3rd of something? Is incest a skeleton in your family closet?

5 of your 16 great-great grandparents=~1/3

SoonerCoug 07-07-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost Student (Post 98524)
5 of your 16 great-great grandparents=~1/3

Exactly.

RC Vikings 07-07-2007 03:49 AM

Mostly English with some Danish. I married a Honduran to give my kids a little color in their skin.