cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What's more likely to make you apostate, science or theology? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12216)

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 02:43 PM

What's more likely to make you apostate, science or theology?

Apparently theology.

Quote:

The Harvard and Yale divinity schools did not train their students to earn their own livings behind a horse and a plow or prepare them to spend half their days in the saddle going from one rural hamlet to another.As George Whitefield charged, the primary impact of these schools on many of their studnets, then as now, may have been to replace faith with theology and belief with unbelief. Indeed, it was in the religion departments and divinity schools, not in the science departments, that unbelief was formulated, and promulgated in American intellectual life."
Finke, Roger, and Rodney Stark. The Churching of America: Winners and Losers in our Religion Economy. New Brunswick, N.J.: Routledge, p. 86.

It's encouraging to know that more concrete, precise disciplines won't be hazardous to one's faith like the more abstract ones, speculative ones.

Indy Coug 09-28-2007 02:49 PM

That question should be "science or APOSTATE theology?"

Archaea 09-28-2007 02:57 PM

I don't believe study creates apostasy for the most part, but the uncaring, noninclusive mullah atmosphere within Church creates it. A big tent environment would eliminate a lot of apostasy.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 128909)
That question should be "science or APOSTATE theology?"

no theology was ever intended to make one apostate

Indy Coug 09-28-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 128913)
no theology was ever intended to make one apostate

I didn't say that was the intent, I'm just saying that a theology even more flawed than Mormonism is going to result in a lot of disillusionment when they can't reconcile flawed theology with scriptures, reason and so forth.

Tex 09-28-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 128912)
I don't believe study creates apostasy for the most part, but the uncaring, noninclusive mullah atmosphere within Church creates it. A big tent environment would eliminate a lot of apostasy.

Eliminating commandments would create a lot fewer sinners too.

Archaea 09-28-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 128918)
I didn't say that was the intent, I'm just saying that a theology even more flawed than Mormonism is going to result in a lot of disillusionment when they can't reconcile flawed theology with scriptures, reason and so forth.

Theology evolves or evolved to explain in philosophical and metaphysical terms how religious ideas relate to nonreligious matter. Because it is more dry that the emotive aspects of charismatic religious movements, it can tend to bore or cause one to drift. In one sense, theology is the scientific language acting as the exoskeleton of religious movements. Mormonism is the anti-theological religion, because it was created through the efforts of nonscholars, ranchers, farmers, workers, not preeminent scholars of the day a la historical Christianity.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 128920)
Theology evolves or evolved to explain in philosophical and metaphysical terms how religious ideas relate to nonreligious matter. Because it is more dry that the emotive aspects of charismatic religious movements, it can tend to bore or cause one to drift. In one sense, theology is the scientific language acting as the exoskeleton of religious movements. Mormonism is the anti-theological religion, because it was created through the efforts of nonscholars, ranchers, farmers, workers, not preeminent scholars of the day a la historical Christianity.

it causes one to drift because in the end, half of it is BS anyway.

Archaea 09-28-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 128927)
it causes one to drift because in the end, half of it is BS anyway.

It's just people's way of trying to explain something that they don't understand, so I wouldn't call it BS, just perhaps scientifically unverifiable, as is almost all aspects of religious activity or belief.

Indy Coug 09-28-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 128930)
It's just people's way of trying to explain something that they don't understand, so I wouldn't call it BS, just perhaps scientifically unverifiable, as is almost all aspects of religious activity or belief.

Well, from an LDS viewpoint, their theology is fatally flawed due to a lack of continuing revelation, purposeful meddling and so forth.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 128930)

chances are when you move from scientifically unverifiable premises to a conclusion to another conclusion, you'll end up in BS land.

Ultimately, you'll wonder why your BS is incoherent and flawed, and lose your faith.

il Padrino Ute 09-28-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 128912)

I disagree that atmosphere creates apostasy. It seems that most apostates choose that path and use the lack of a big tent environment as an excuse to deflect blame.

Archaea 09-28-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 128959)
I disagree that atmosphere creates apostasy. It seems that most apostates choose that path and use the lack of a big tent environment as an excuse to deflect blame.

Some people will leave for many reasons, they don't want to do what's asked, they are struggling and encounter an unsympathetic leader or what not. If we always had wise and caring leaders those who struggle would receive better care. If a person felt loved no matter what fewer would apostasize.

Requiem 09-28-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 129006)
If a person felt loved no matter what fewer would apostasize.

To that comment I would add if leadership could be trusted with openly and honestly discussing their history, there would be less apostasy.:rolleyes:

This may become fodder for a new Jeff Foxworthy bit: You know you must be an apostate when...

Sleeping in EQ 09-28-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 129014)
To that comment I would add if leadership could be trusted with openly and honestly discussing their history, there would be less apostasy.:rolleyes:

This may become fodder for a new Jeff Foxworthy bit: You know you must be an apostate when...

Amen.

...you stop hiding your Sunstone when the home teachers come over.

SoonerCoug 09-28-2007 07:43 PM

Theology.

Archaea 09-28-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 129034)
Amen.

...you stop hiding your Sunstone when the home teachers come over.

Easy for me, ours, if we have any, don't visit. No visits, thank goodness in over two years.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 129036)
Theology.

From my experience theology/religious studies departments have a much higher % of atheists than science depts.

creekster 09-28-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 129044)
From my experience theology/religious studies departments have a much higher % of atheists than science depts.

But that correlation may not support the causation you seem to be suggesting.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 129048)
But that correlation may not support the causation you seem to be suggesting.

OK, what variables do you propose may affect that %?

Archaea 09-28-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 129060)
OK, what variables do you propose may affect that %?

First, observations are anecdotal, so it's not scientific, but let's imagine the personal selection has something to do with it.

Those naturally inclined to question or those who have lost faith gravitate to the fringe of theology perhaps, so the study thereof does not cause apostasy but somebody who has already lost faith gravitates there.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 129064)
First, observations are anecdotal, so it's not scientific, but let's imagine the personal selection has something to do with it.

Those naturally inclined to question or those who have lost faith gravitate to the fringe of theology perhaps, so the study thereof does not cause apostasy but somebody who has already lost faith gravitates there.

Endogeneity, everyone knows that. But what reason do we have to believe that those who lose their faith are more likely to gravitate toward theology than science? Especially since aspiring ministers study theology.

SoonerCoug 09-28-2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 129044)

I agree. I think scientists are more likely to be agnostics, but maybe less likely to be atheists than someone in a religious studies department.

creekster 09-29-2007 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 129128)
Endogeneity, everyone knows that. But what reason do we have to believe that those who lose their faith are more likely to gravitate toward theology than science? Especially since aspiring ministers study theology.

You guys think too much sometimes. You seemed to me to be suggesting that the study of theology makes you apostate because it is all BS and so leads you away from the truth, as opposed to science, which is not BS. An laterntate explanation for the causality that immediately suggested itslef to me is that the study of tehology makes you apostate becasue it is BS and you realize this when you study it, while scientists aren't as likely to be apostate becasue they don't study it. I don't subscribe to this, but it just seems equally defesible as a theory.

UtahDan 09-29-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 129172)
but it just seems equally defesible as a theory.

Can we please have a gentleman's agreement not to discuss future interests on this board? Some topics should just be out of bounds.

creekster 09-29-2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 129195)
Can we please have a gentleman's agreement not to discuss future interests on this board? Some topics should just be out of bounds.

defeasible, defensible, is anyone really reading htis stuff?

ChinoCoug 09-29-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 129172)
You seemed to me to be suggesting that the study of theology makes you apostate because it is all BS and so leads you away from the truth, as opposed to science, which is not BS. An laterntate explanation for the causality that immediately suggested itslef to me is that the study of tehology makes you apostate becasue it is BS and you realize this when you study it, while scientists aren't as likely to be apostate becasue they don't study it. .

Those two theories aren't mutually exclusive. People realize theology is BS because they can't make a rational defense for God, so they think God must not exist. But I think the reason they can't do it is because they're methods are a bunch of warm-fuzzy BS. With science, it's a little more clear cut, so they won't go apostate as much.

creekster 09-30-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 129327)
Those two theories aren't mutually exclusive. People realize theology is BS because they can't make a rational defense for God, so they think God must not exist. But I think the reason they can't do it is because they're methods are a bunch of warm-fuzzy BS. With science, it's a little more clear cut, so they won't go apostate as much.

They are not necessarily exclusive but are on a specturm and at either end they would be. The point is that your assumption that there is a religious tryuth from which theologians are led away due to study is possibly incorrect; it could be that there simply is no religious truth and the study through critical reasoning of theology makes on realize this. There is certainly room for overlap. ANd, as I said bfore, I do not subscribe to the second theory.

ChinoCoug 09-30-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 129372)
They are not necessarily exclusive but are on a specturm and at either end they would be. The point is that your assumption that there is a religious tryuth from which theologians are led away due to study is possibly incorrect; it could be that there simply is no religious truth and the study through critical reasoning of theology makes on realize this. There is certainly room for overlap. ANd, as I said bfore, I do not subscribe to the second theory.

So the theory you describe but don't subscribe to says through critical reasoning they discover there is no religious truth. OK, but that doesn't explain why scientists don't go apostate in as large numbers. I'm just postulating that critical reasoning unaided by the scientific method will take you to BS land.

RockyBalboa 09-30-2007 05:26 PM

The 2 reasons I've seen people leave the church:

1. Because they've done their own studying and come to the conclusion that the stories they've been told and learned about aren't true anymore. And yes for you "intellectuals" I know it's deeper than that.

2. Because they get offended by someone or something and quit going.

Sorry for the generic and plain examples, but ultimately that's what it boils down to.

I was tempted to say.....Sin,,,,just to get the intellectual mullah's in a tizzy. ;)

FMCoug 09-30-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 129475)
The 2 reasons I've seen people leave the church:

1. Because they've done their own studying and come to the conclusion that the stories they've been told and learned about aren't true anymore. And yes for you "intellectuals" I know it's deeper than that.

2. Because they get offended by someone or something and quit going.

Sorry for the generic and plain examples, but ultimately that's what it boils down to.

I was tempted to say.....Sin,,,,just to get the intellectual mullah's in a tizzy. ;)

In my experience, more often than not, serious sin is the real culprit in #2.

RockyBalboa 09-30-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 129476)
In my experience, more often than not, serious sin is the real culprit in #2.

You won't get any argument from me.

creekster 10-01-2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 129470)
So the theory you describe but don't subscribe to says through critical reasoning they discover there is no religious truth. OK, but that doesn't explain why scientists don't go apostate in as large numbers. I'm just postulating that critical reasoning unaided by the scientific method will take you to BS land.

I ujnderstand. I was just makign an observation. Nothing of particualr distionction was meant.

SeattleUte 10-01-2007 03:25 PM

Is this the worst, most inartful subject heading for a thread ever? Chino truly doesn't get it, I see.

BYU71 10-01-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 128907)
Apparently theology.

Finke, Roger, and Rodney Stark. The Churching of America: Winners and Losers in our Religion Economy. New Brunswick, N.J.: Routledge, p. 86.

It's encouraging to know that more concrete, precise disciplines won't be hazardous to one's faith like the more abstract ones, speculative ones.

Whatever category describes mullah types in the church. If those types really become dominant in the church, then that will be a witness to me "by their fruits" indicates things have gone awry.

Archaea 10-01-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 129768)
Is this the worst, most inartful subject heading for a thread ever? Chino truly doesn't get it, I see.

No, there are plenty of inartful threads; I have a personal witness of this, as you and I have authored many of them.