cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A family friend has been out on his mission about 4 months... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17514)

BYUTexan 03-13-2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malapert (Post 195601)
BS, these are kids who grew up being given trophies for "participating" on soccer teams from ages 4 to 12. Didn't matter that they lost every game.

This is the generation whose sense of entitlement comes from being molly coddled their entire lives. Their parents ran to their defense every time an elementary school teacher didn't give them straight "A"s and perfect citizenship marks.

These kids now think they are entitled to a life devoid of pressure, challenge and obstacles. They're soft. They want their mom when the going gets a little tough.

Quit making excuses for them danimal. Let me guess, danimal is under 30 years of age.

Yeah, my older brother decided suicide was the best way celebrate being given a trophy in his youth.

NorCal Cat 03-13-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 197131)
But for those who actually have problems, it is a serious issue, and if you think that for one second, that Elder or Sister would rather come home because it is "easy" just to face the social pressure and judgments of other members who think they are "pussies" then you've got another thing coming. Nobody wants to face coming home to an unsupportive ward or family...and that just compounds the problem and is likely to cause more depression.

My comment regarding "pussies" was directed at young men in general these days, as opposed to past generations that weren't so protected, and coddled growing up.

Frank Ryan 03-13-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYUTexan (Post 197592)
Yeah, my older brother decided suicide was the best way celebrate being given a trophy in his youth.

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Cali Coug 03-14-2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear that.

NorCal Cat 03-14-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

There has been a suicide in my family also. This was before the days of trophies for participating. Who knows what is going through the mind of someone who decides to take his own life.

As has been said though, there are obviously real, serious mental health issues that need to be addressed professionally. Don't know how it is handled now, but I know in the past the Church mission system was ill equipped to deal with it.

I also agree that today's kids are "softer" than past generations, and the "depression" card can be played, and taken advantage of too easily.