cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finances (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Official brag about your salary thread (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15798)

Jeff Lebowski 01-11-2008 06:53 PM

I live within my means.

Runner Coug 01-23-2008 05:54 AM

I have had a few years where I've made a bit over 6 figures, but most of the time I fall a few thousand short. That's with no college degree, and in all honesty, it's really not hard work. I leave my house between 10-11 am every morning, and get home by 6.

I feel really bad when I go visit my brother who spent 7 years in school and makes 60k less than me.

marsupial 01-23-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 177160)
I have had a few years where I've made a bit over 6 figures, but most of the time I fall a few thousand short. That's with no college degree, and in all honesty, it's really not hard work. I leave my house between 10-11 am every morning, and get home by 6.

I feel really bad when I go visit my brother who spent 7 years in school and makes 60k less than me.

So, how do I get into your downline?

MikeWaters 01-23-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 177160)

7 years in school is not bad at all for that kind of money , considering he dropped out before junior high.

Detroitdad 01-24-2008 02:32 AM

I make almost one third annually what my student loans are. Very exciting. I vomit in my own mouth a little when I think about all those years of foregone wages while I was in school, and I see people without a degree making some coin.

But hey, jealousy is bad karma. More power to them and their families.

BigFatMeanie 01-24-2008 02:38 AM

You could have done what I did - get one of those fake degrees from the University of Phoenix (Motto: "Pay your fee, get your degree")

Good thing my employer coughed up for the dime-store diploma.

Oh well, it's a good thing I'm so handsome because I've been able to make a comfortable living without a great academic record (I flunked out of CS at BYU and out of Physics at the U).

Colly Wolly 01-24-2008 03:02 AM

Who cares about salary? Let's talk about who has the biggest wang. Probably me.

YOhio 01-24-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 177456)
Who cares about salary? Let's talk about who has the biggest wang. Probably me.

I don't think you're quite the biggest dick on CG. Pretty close though.

Colly Wolly 01-24-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 177473)
I don't think you're quite the biggest dick on CG. Pretty close though.

Ouch.

DJRoss 02-26-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 173438)
Depends on the company. And granted I don't know what your company does. But the difference IMO is product vs. in-house. The software I work on IS our product. Not something that supports operations, etc. Writing code that is going to a server farm that is responsible for collecting the $400M / year in revenue is very different that writing code for the in-house accounting system.

Spoken like a true finance guy. Keep doing it. The consulting fees to fix the mess are out of this world.

Amen to that. It never ceases to surprise me when I sit down with company heads and explain the concept of Intellectual Capital with them. While off shoring may have been a boon to India, Russia and China, it was an extremely short term solution to maintaining the cost accounting dogma the big four continue to spew on corporate America.

I laugh every time I see the look on their faces when I advise them to spend as much as they can to ensure they secure the greatest achieving knowledge workers out there whether they are high end back bone gurus or handymen with degrees in sanitation engineering. Sustainability can only be achieved through nurturing the IC within the company. When all is said and done, that is where the value truly lies. Not in the accumulation of inanimate assets.