cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   LDS church chides Affirmation (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21543)

Sleeping in EQ 08-13-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252048)
I do have an answer and have articulated my reasons for not opposing gay marriage many, many times. Do a search.

Tex makes an amazing rhetorical slip in his response to you (above). Reasons go right up to the "prophet." In this thinking, the prophet is literally presented as a "reason."

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 252049)
Huh? Did you not understand my question?

I did, but personally I think that while you are very intelligent, you are also ridiculous and annoying. You are evasive and rarely directly answer questions, so I have decided to simply respond to you in kind, if at all.

Please enjoy more of my future non-responses to your queries.

PS Go Cougars! I think we have a decent shot at running the table this season.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 252051)
Tex makes an amazing rhetorical slip in his response to you (above). Reasons go right up to the "prophet." In this thinking, the prophet is literally presented as a "reason."

Yes, I caught that SIEQ. I just find Tex to be boring, so I will let you or Cali go the rounds with the internet persona known as "Tex"

Tex 08-13-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 252051)

This makes no sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252052)
I did, but personally I think that while you are very intelligent, you are also ridiculous and annoying. You are evasive and rarely directly answer questions, so I have decided to simply respond to you in kind, if at all.

Listen, Triplet, if you want to discuss my personal reasons for opposing gay marraige, we can certainly do so. I've done it several times before.

What I'm getting at is ... your position makes no sense to me. Perhaps you can clarify. Cali, in admitting he doesn't know the reason, at least suggests that he thinks Monson has one, however poorly articulated. You, on the other hand, think that he doesn't.

So again I ask ... if no one from the primary teacher up to the prophet has a "coherent reason" for opposing this, why are we doing it?

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 252058)
This makes no sense.

Listen, Triplet, if you want to discuss my personal reasons for opposing gay marraige, we can certainly do so. I've done it several times before.

What I'm getting at is ... your position makes no sense to me. Perhaps you can clarify. Cali, in admitting he doesn't know the reason, at least suggests that he thinks Monson has one, however poorly articulated. You, on the other hand, think that he doesn't.

So again I ask ... if no one from the primary teacher up to the prophet has a "coherent reason" for opposing this, why are we doing it?

Tex, you are being very boring and evasive again.

Why not answer some basic questions....are you married, do you have children, where do you live?

Cali Coug 08-13-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 252058)
This makes no sense.

Tex- I think you are asking the same question DDD is asking. Why are we doing this? I don't know the reason, I don't think you know the reason, and neither does DDD. So good question- why are we doing this as a church? If you had an answer, you may want to share it with church PR.

Tex 08-13-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 252061)
Tex- I think you are asking the same question DDD is asking. Why are we doing this? I don't know the reason, I don't think you know the reason, and neither does DDD. So good question- why are we doing this as a church? If you had an answer, you may want to share it with church PR.

I gave my answer in the links above. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself and still be accused of being "evasive."

DDD didn't just say "I don't know the reason" ... he said he doesn't think the prophet has one. That's a quite different position, and one he apparently feels disinclined to defend.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 252061)

I already asked Tex this question specifically....if he knew the prophet's reason, please share. He responded with more Texspeak, rather than admitting that he really has no logical or coherent reason, either.

It is more fun to talk about Tex in the third person than to address him directly.

RC Vikings 08-13-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 251964)
Just once I'd like to hear, from the pulpit at GC, that it's the fathers fault for not pushing them enough to play sports. Just once!

I think everyone already knows this.

Cali Coug 08-13-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 252064)
I gave my answer in the links above. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself and still be accused of being "evasive."

DDD didn't just say "I don't know the reason" ... he said he doesn't think the prophet has one. That's a quite different position, and one he apparently feels disinclined to defend.

Again, you have listed your personal reasons (which aren't very strong, in my opinion). What are the church's reasons? Why single out gay marriage more than any other issue pertaining to families? Why is gay marriage so much more destructive than adultery, divorce, pre-marital sex, spousal and child abuse, homosexual sex, etc.? I feel we have been told it is important because families are important and this destroys families. That seems like a poor explanation to me.