cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Worst call in BYU history (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15368)

Goatnapper'96 12-28-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 167772)
How so? What does 10 yards get you? Only a 1 in 10 chance they down the ball inside the 1. And even if they do, you just run a QB sneak and go into the locker room. They tell you never to catch a punt inside the 8 yard line I think. So why catch it at the 9 or 10 whatever it was in that situation?

Guys trip after the snap and fall backwards. UCLA was blowing up the BYU OL all 1st half. There are many things that could happen if BYU is pinned at the 1. I just think that given Bryce's hands it was not a big enough risk to just catch the ball and then have Max take a knee instead of having to run a sneak.

BYU71 12-28-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 167779)
Guys trip after the snap and fall backwards. UCLA was blowing up the BYU OL all 1st half. There are many things that could happen if BYU is pinned at the 1. I just think that given Bryce's hands it was not a big enough risk to just catch the ball and then have Max take a knee instead of having to run a sneak.

Fits with my criteria. Was there any upside to fielding the punt. Yep, ball on 5 yard line not 1 yard line.

Every other scenario in the poll does have an upside, although maybe not a big one.

The no drop to the knee call has the upside odds of me marrying my avatar.

Insensitive PAP 12-28-2007 10:35 PM

A better question about Mahuika. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 167734)
Agree. And a coach has to be experienced enough and smart enough to either intuitively know these odds or to study them in the offseason enough to understand them.

Unga's got about a 1/100 chance of fumbling. But his long run for the year is 40 yards, and nothing was working that day, and UCLA has speed to run him down even if he breaks through the line. So if you say he has 1/250 chance to bust it out to the 50 or so. Then with a bad kicker, we have another 20% chance to get another 20 yard pass in and a 50% chance to kick a field goal. That means you have about a 1/1000 chance to make three points.

vs 1/100 chance to give up 7 points.

In a defensive battle where you're up 11 points.

Very, very stupid.

I'm getting more upset thinking about it. I was mad enough when Mahuika fielded the punt. What? Field a high punt on the road with different lights you're than you're used to for the opportunity to take a knee at the 10??

why is he even on the field to recieve that punt? I wouldn't even have a returner back on that play.

mpfunk 12-28-2007 11:01 PM

Question, why are people putting the blame on Anae for that call. That is the type of thing that needs to be put on the head coach. BM needs to be aware what his OC is doing and put a stop to madness like that before it happens.

I think BM is a good head coach, but that dumb move is on him.

Before anyone brings up Whittingham, yes I blame Whittingham for Ludwig's moronic moves.

Jeff Lebowski 12-28-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 167818)
Question, why are people putting the blame on Anae for that call. That is the type of thing that needs to be put on the head coach. BM needs to be aware what his OC is doing and put a stop to madness like that before it happens.

I think BM is a good head coach, but that dumb move is on him.

Before anyone brings up Whittingham, yes I blame Whittingham for Ludwig's moronic moves.

Point #1: BM has had Anae's back through the entire affair. He is not shirking blame.

Point #2: That is silly. The head coach doesn't monitor each and every play call on the field. It was Anae's call.

mpfunk 12-28-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 167821)
Point #1: BM has had Anae's back through the entire affair. He is not shirking blame.

Point #2: That is silly. The head coach doesn't monitor each and every play call on the field. It was Anae's call.

In this type of situation the head coach needs to tell his OC that they are kneeling on the ball.

Jeff Lebowski 12-28-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 167823)
In this type of situation the head coach needs to tell his OC that they are kneeling on the ball.

Easy to say in hindsight. Maybe he assumed that would happen. And in the heat of the moment with things happening in real-time, he didn't have time to react to Anae's call.

But the punting decision against B.C. was clearly Bronco's decision. And a dumb one at that.