cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "The 10 Greatest Books of All Time" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6136)

Jeff Lebowski 01-23-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 55599)
I bet you haven't read it.

I have. Chloroform in print.

Jeff Lebowski 01-23-2007 02:04 PM

I would NEVER attempt to make a list of the ten greatest books since I can't imagine having read enough books to feel qualified to make such a presumption. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed this thread. And I have some new books on my reading list.

I would like to mention that one of my favorite books is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Anyone else like that one? Or am I showing my redneck roots again? I loved that book.

marsupial 01-23-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 55642)
I would NEVER attempt to make a list of the ten greatest books since I can't imagine having read enough books to feel qualified to make such a presumption. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed this thread. And I have some new books on my reading list.

I would like to mention that one of my favorite books is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Anyone else like that one? Or am I showing my redneck roots again? I loved that book.

I read it and liked it enough, but it would never make one of my lists.

BarbaraGordon 01-23-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

This is a great book. If you ever have a chance, reread the book while you're in those areas of Montana. The setting complements his message.

Cali Coug 01-23-2007 02:33 PM

I also liked The Robe. And can I count The Missing Piece? :)

FarrahWaters 01-23-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

I read it when I was 17, and reread it a couple times after that. I thought it was great at the time, I don't know what I would think of it now.

I think it's funny we are always making these lists. What's that line from the movie High Fidelity? Something like, "It doesn't matter what you're like, it's what you like that really matters."

Jeff Lebowski 01-23-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 55650)
I read it when I was 17, and reread it a couple times after that. I thought it was great at the time, I don't know what I would think of it now.

So it appeals to unsophisticated minds? No wonder I liked it so much.

FarrahWaters 01-23-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 55651)
So it appeals to unsophisticated minds? No wonder I liked it so much.

Are you saying I was unsophisticated at 17? :) Sometimes a reread of a book carries less weight than it used to. Sometimes it becomes more profound. I guess that's when you know it's a great book.

No mention of Hemingway from anyone?

Archaea 01-23-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 55653)
Are you saying I was unsophisticated at 17? :) Sometimes a reread of a book carries less weight than it used to. Sometimes it becomes more profound. I guess that's when you know it's a great book.

No mention of Hemingway from anyone?

Old Man and the Sea, but the others are somewhat tedious. John Steinbeck falls into that category as well.

Jeff Lebowski 01-23-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 55653)
Are you saying I was unsophisticated at 17? :)

Good question. You tell me what has changed since you were 17.