cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What was your most patriotic event you've attended in person? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481)

MikeWaters 06-28-2007 09:53 PM

Story of the guy jumping onto the subway track and pushing a handicapped guy down onto the ground to save his life--more moving to me than all "patriotic" locations I have ever been.

cougjunkie 06-28-2007 10:31 PM

I think after 9/11 we were very bonded as a country, yes it didnt last long but Pres. Bushs approval rating was at its peak during that time. Everyone wanted us to find Osama and go to war, people were enlisting in the military like crazy, ready to fight for the country.

Jeff Lebowski 06-29-2007 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 95358)
Some special moments for me:

1) Visiting Pearl Harbor
2) Visiting Vicksburgh National Park...and seeing all those white crosses
3) Visiting Mt. Rushmore
4) Taking in some of the memorials in D.C. (ie. Lincoln, Jefferson)

(not there in person...but seemed like I was!)
5) The funeral of President Ronald Reagan (although I wasn't there in person)
6) feelings I had after the towers were hit

Several people have mentioned civil war battlefields. I am curious as to why that makes one feel patriotic. I feel emotional at those places. And sad as I contemplate the tremendous loss. But I don't recall feeling particularly patriotic about the experience. Help me out here.

Don't get me wrong, I love civil war history. But it seems like it was a horrendous national nightmare. Brothers killing brothers.

Archaea 06-29-2007 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 95593)
Several people have mentioned civil war battlefields. I am curious as to why that makes one feel patriotic. I feel emotional at those places. And sad as I contemplate the tremendous loss. But I don't recall feeling particularly patriotic about the experience. Help me out here.

Don't get me wrong, I love civil war history. But it seems like it was a horrendous national nightmare. Brothers killing brothers.

I sense those sentiments as well. But I feel proud, our nation rose out of our crucible which would either destroy us or allow us to reunite.

I am amazed when I see the firsthand brutality that the first modern war wrought. It must have been fearsome to see and to participate in.

In a weird way, I get more patriotic watching an athlete from our country win in the Olympics and then stand during the ceremony as opposed to many other events.

il Padrino Ute 06-29-2007 03:57 AM

Being inside the Signoella Naval Air Base near Catania for the 4th of July celebration in 1984. The CO was the 2nd Councilor of the Branch Presidency on the base and he invited all the missionaries and members of the Catania Branch to the base. They put on a all out military parade for us that afternoon then a great fireworks show later that night. Very cool to see fireworks with the Mediterranean Sea in the background and some awesome Italian-grade fireworks that blow up real good.

Also, even though I only watched it on TV, when the folks from the FDNY carried the flag from Ground Zero into RES during the opening ceremonies of the '02 Winter Olympics was an incredible experience.

SoCalCoug 06-29-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 95596)
In a weird way, I get more patriotic watching an athlete from our country win in the Olympics and then stand during the ceremony as opposed to many other events.

You know what? That's the one thing that gets me. I love the Olympics, and I love to watch the medal ceremonies.

Mormon Red Death 06-29-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 95664)
You know what? That's the one thing that gets me. I love the Olympics, and I love to watch the medal ceremonies.

I'm a sucker for fly overs like the helicopters that did the fly over at the 2004 fiesta bowl..

SoCalCoug 06-29-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 95665)
I'm a sucker for fly overs like the helicopters that did the fly over at the 2004 fiesta bowl..

That was before you got tasered, right?

Mormon Red Death 06-29-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 95667)
That was before you got tasered, right?

Tasers dont affect me... I am superhuman

Surfah 06-29-2007 05:15 PM

I have been to most of the Civil War sites. I have been to the DC monuments and memorials. I have been to Pearl Harbor. I have visited the Pentagon and Ground Zero shortly after 9/11. But I have never felt more patriotic than I did in the MC with the entire student body for the Tuesday devotional on September 11th. When Bateman had the student body stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance I was moved to tears. It was a very powerful, emotional experience, that was purely patriotic.