cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Some of you are writers... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400)

SteelBlue 10-28-2005 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlier
Don't question someone unless you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

Wow, our first angry rebuttal. Relax outlier.

MikeWaters 10-28-2005 02:37 AM

fusnik11
seattleute
outlier
tooblue
socalcoug

who else wants in? steelblue?

outlier 10-28-2005 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlier
Don't question someone unless you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

Wow, our first angry rebuttal. Relax outlier.

You're right. I have a hard time keeping it under control when confronted with outspoken ignorance.

o

PS, Are we not allowed angry rebuttals here? Crap I had this all figured out wrong...

SeattleUte 10-28-2005 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters
by the sound of this thread, one might get the mistaken idea that there is actually money to be made by being a writer. LOL.

Outside of JK Rowling that is.

Great point. And with respect to short stories, I doubt even Updike makes much money. These days short stories are mostly batting practice for aspiring novelists. I read that in the NY Times sometime ago.

MikeWaters 10-28-2005 02:56 AM

However I don't begrudge outlier. It's not like there should be peer pressure to share ones work, LOL. Like catblue said, it's actually nice to not ask others to read ones work.

Archaea 10-28-2005 02:57 AM

include me if you will

that would be fun.

non sequitur 10-28-2005 03:04 AM

Count me in.

MikeWaters 10-28-2005 03:06 AM

okay, you 2 are added.

Parrot Head 10-28-2005 03:06 AM

For a bit I thought outlier's avatar snake was going to strike the post there.

I was a journalism guy undergrad and think of myself as a decent writer on some levels, but the journalism turned me into an ultrapicky editor and has also tainted my ability and mode of thought towards writing. It really turned me into a straight-facts-some-flavor writer. Nouns, verbs, then maybe some adjectives and adverbs.

I took a few creative writing courses and detested the ultra-detailed, fluffy style a lot of people bring. If you want concise writing , that's what I can give you and that's what I can edit your work down to. Of course, maybe the fluffy details are just the offspring of poor writing? Whenever we had free-reign assignments, I tended towards plays/scripts because it let me avoid paragraph upon paragraph of description. Not that I was great at that either.

I think that if I wrote much, I'd tend towards the style of Hemingway in lacking tons of details. But I'm not a fan of his writing either. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd rather be associated with him than Henry James. I'll start looking for a noose before I read HJ again. I need strong, intelligent, thoughtful writing... like Grisham or Danielle Steel!

If there's still room in the pen & sword inn, I'd be happy to contribute -- especially if there's a little contention!

creekster 10-28-2005 06:36 AM

Too bad voyeurism doens't qualify; Given how well

Outlier took Catblue's comments about first publication rights, I can only imagine how amusing it might be when they started to critique each other's work. The truth is, however, that I spend far too much of my day editing legal writing to really want to edit or review more writing, even good creative writing, in the evening. Moreover, I think the law has beaten any real creativity out of my writing, although I suppose I feel like I could still offer "big picture" ideas and comments on analytical writing. Besdies, I certainly wouldn't want the fact that my eyes were added to the forum to casue Outlier to lose any lucrative publishing opportunities.

When will we get a spell-checker? Do I need to buy more books?