cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Russian militants shoot down Malaysian passenger plane (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29155)

MikeWaters 07-18-2014 07:58 PM

Instead just this week we had the administration's representative announcing that Russia "is not an adversary."

Good time to be a rogue regime right now. American foreign policy is worthless.

SoonerCoug 07-18-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 318843)
Instead just this week we had the administration's representative announcing that Russia "is not an adversary."

Good time to be a rogue regime right now. American foreign policy is worthless.

Mindful agrees with you.

Archaea 07-18-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 318839)
Really the only significant thing he could pull off at this point would be to convince Germany to impose big sanctions at great risk to their own economy. Probably not going to happen.

Other than this and broader US sanctions, I think Obama's hands are basically tied in terms of meaningful intervention.

Obama's early interactions with Putin were wrong. He has never toed a tough line with him. You have a little Napoleon who has now thrilled his native base by repeatedly thumbing his nose at the US.

The US should never have backed down in Poland. That move is the reason we're seeing all of the other catastrophes Russia is pursuing. Millions upon millions will suffer because Obama did not understand Russian mentality. Obama has a severely misguided foreign policy.

SoonerCoug 07-18-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 318848)
Obama's early interactions with Putin were wrong. He has never toed a tough line with him. You have a little Napoleon who has now thrilled his native base by repeatedly thumbing his nose at the US.

The US should never have backed down in Poland. That move is the reason we're seeing all of the other catastrophes Russia is pursuing. Millions upon millions will suffer because Obama did not understand Russian mentality. Obama has a severely misguided foreign policy.

Putin's strength has grown because Russians are happier with their lives and their economy is better.

He had generated a tremendous propaganda machine.

I don't think Obama could have significantly affected either of these two major factors.

MikeWaters 07-18-2014 10:03 PM

When there is zero threat of reprisals, bad men are on the move.

I'm not a warmonger. But we have a president who is perceived as a complete douche. That's not good.

SoonerCoug 07-18-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 318851)
When there is zero threat of reprisals, bad men are on the move.

I'm not a warmonger. But we have a president who is perceived as a complete douche. That's not good.

What would you do if you were president?

SoonerCoug 07-18-2014 10:26 PM

Putin's victims:

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/...57183544598528

I liked this quote: "In Putin's Russia, plane attacks missile."

So true. Russian news is full of stories saying that Ukrainian air traffic control intentionally told plane to decrease altitude.

SoonerCoug 07-19-2014 02:12 AM

Now Russians are saying that the missile was a Ukrainian attempt to shoot down a plane carrying Putin. Idiots.

MikeWaters 07-19-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 318856)
What would you do if you were president?

I would have a show of force. I would bring in a carrier. I would announce weapons support for Ukraine. In addition to the sanctions.

I would not try to convey that I am a pussy. Obama conveying that puts us all in danger.

SoonerCoug 07-19-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 318880)
I would have a show of force. I would bring in a carrier. I would announce weapons support for Ukraine. In addition to the sanctions.

I would not try to convey that I am a pussy. Obama conveying that puts us all in danger.

Good points. Maybe that's about to happen.

Maybe Obama wants to avoid further escalation. Bringing more guns to a fight might not be the best solution.