cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   McCain committed political malpractice. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24464)

BarbaraGordon 11-06-2008 09:50 PM

She will most certainly be a frontrunner. That's not to say she'll garner either the POTUS or the VP nomination, but she'll be a frontrunner when things start up in 2010.

Tex 11-06-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 291308)
History is what it is. I simply point it out.

You are a small man.

Cali Coug 11-06-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 291362)
You are a small man.

I just look small to you because you are looking at me from Alaska.

Tex 11-06-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 291343)
She will most certainly be a frontrunner. That's not to say she'll garner either the POTUS or the VP nomination, but she'll be a frontrunner when things start up in 2010.

If she wants, her hat will be in the ring, but I'm not so sure that she gets that far. If she wants the POTUS nomination, she's going to need to be far more polished than she was this time around.

As has been noted, conventional wisdom holds that Republicans tend to nominate the "next guy in line" and I'm not sure 2 months as VP really qualifies as taking over that slot. You'd think it would favor Romney, but a lot will depend on what he chooses to do too. He's not in a public position anymore, so he needs to shore up his conservative credentials in some other way if he really wants to take another shot.

TripletDaddy 11-06-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 291377)
If she wants, her hat will be in the ring, but I'm not so sure that she gets that far. If she wants the POTUS nomination, she's going to need to be far more polished than she was this time around.

As has been noted, conventional wisdom holds that Republicans tend to nominate the "next guy in line" and I'm not sure 2 months as VP really qualifies as taking over that slot. You'd think it would favor Romney, but a lot will depend on what he chooses to do too. He's not in a public position anymore, so he needs to shore up his conservative credentials in some other way if he really wants to take another shot.

I hereby volunteer my services to undertake all polishing, rubbing, waxing, and general massaging of Sarah Palin.

Just doin' my civic duty! Drill, baby, drill!

BarbaraGordon 11-06-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 291377)

Obviously, Mitt will be a frontrunner for the nomination, too.

Cali Coug 11-06-2008 11:03 PM

I find the opinion that it isn't "nice" to point out the absurdity of McCain's pick after the election to be misplaced.

His pick was absurd. Picks like that in the future should be avoided. They will only be avoided if we call politicians on the absurdity of picks like McCain's.

I argued a while back that what McCain was doing with Palin was a tragedy for democracy. I feel even more strongly now than I did then that I was right. Not only was the fact that she was totally sheltered from the critical eye of the public a bad step for democracy, the more we learn about the reasons she was sheltered, the more we realize just how bad the pick really was. Palin would have been a disaster for the nation as VP. She would have been an even greater disaster for the nation as president if something were to happen to McCain, and yet, they were a few million votes away (likely far less than that) from winning the election.

McCain said multiple times that he would "rather lose an election than lose a war." "Country first." His pick of Palin, and his continuing support of Palin in light of what he learned about her following her selection, totally undermines his credibility on that front.

Palin represents a tremendous step backwards for our political process. Fortunately she lost. Unfortunately, it wasn't by much (in terms of votes cast). A bright, shining light needs to focus on what happened and how it was that a person so unqualified for the office came so close to gaining it, with the knowing assistance of an American patriot.

CardiacCoug 11-06-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 291333)
I guess that's ok if you're an accountant or dentist. It's kind of a problem if you want to be VP of the US. Frankly, I've never understood how someone can consider themselves to be educated and not know basic geography like Africa is a continent and not a country.

I agree with you. I was just saying that I find it very believable that Palin doesn't know this stuff because of all the college-educated people I have met that are completely ignorant about the location of states and countries. See my avatar. 70% of Americans don't get the joke (my guesstimate).

creekster 11-06-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 291372)
I just look small to you because you are looking at me from Alaska.

Are you in Russia?

Cali Coug 11-07-2008 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 291413)
Are you in Russia?

All Obama supporters are. We are required to make the pilgrimage semi-annually.