cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Input needed (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18297)

marsupial 04-07-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 205496)
Who cares if Grace has already been used by family members?

Honestly...when it comes to naming babies...that is the GAYEST rule that couples or one of them freak out about.

Why don't people just name their kid whatever they want instead of feeling like their child won't be unique, if it....heaven forbid has the same first name as 13958235939825038 other people in the world?

Yeah, but we're talking first cousins here, not just another random person with the same name. That also means that at least among family she'd end up always being known as "little Grace" since she already had a cousin who was older than her.

RockyBalboa 04-07-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 205497)
Yeah, but we're talking first cousins here, not just another random person with the same name. That also means that at least among family she'd end up always being known as "little Grace" since she already had a cousin who was older than her.

So what?

creekster 04-07-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 205472)
Sounds like your wife is the brains of the outfit.

Don't encourage her.

Besides, Sebastian is a great name.

YOhio 04-07-2008 12:52 AM

This website is always fun when choosing baby names.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

myboynoah 04-07-2008 12:54 AM

Boy - Sinjin (my wife totally vetoed this; she has no idea)

Girl - Hannah or Therese

MikeWaters 04-07-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 205494)
Do you follow the rule that the first and last names must have a different number of syllables? Because we have not been very good at following that rule with our first two.

in the south you mean you have not followed the rule.

SteelBlue 04-07-2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 205496)
Who cares if Grace has already been used by family members?

Honestly...when it comes to naming babies...that is the GAYEST rule that couples or one of them freak out about.

Why don't people just name their kid whatever they want instead of feeling like their child won't be unique, if it....heaven forbid has the same first name as 13958235939825038 other people in the world?

I stole my own brother's name for my first son. Granted, he's 18 years younger than me, but still...

RockyBalboa 04-07-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 205509)
I stole my own brother's name for my first son. Granted, he's 18 years younger than me, but still...

I hear ya.

My first name is Dave. I have 2 1st Cousins within a year of me who's first names are also Dave.

Granted I haven't seen either of them in about 10+ years.

Mormon Red Death 04-07-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 205459)
OK, I've got 15 weeks left before this baby is coming out and danimal and I have zero names. I am well aware that 15 weeks is still a long time to go, but I am going to need some time to really mull over the names before I can actually give it to a child. We do not know what we're having so we need a boy's and a girl's name.

So bring it on. Let's hear your ideas. What are some names that you liked, but maybe your spouse vetoed? Or names of your exes? People you admire? People you hate? It doesn't matter. We've gone through three name books already and have come up high and dry.

Don't use Geronimo... its mine

Mormon Red Death 04-07-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 205471)
I don't know that you want to take advice from a father who named his 5th son Royal but here are some names that didn't make the grade:

Linus
Maxwell
Virgil (I suggested the name for all five boys but my wife would not hear of it!)
Agustus (gus)

Since the Lord won't bless us with girls I'll share some girl names of our friends children:

Fiona
Edanna
Kay
Jane

He didn't mention the one girl name he wants to use...