cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   OK you potential Bishops out there (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11765)

RockyBalboa 09-13-2007 09:27 PM

I just posed this "hypothetical" to my brother who's a Bishop in a Murray Ward.

His exact response..."Apparently this guy doens't believe in the Atonement and she's getting into bed with a guy holding a recommend, but who yet lacks a testimony and I'd carefully and kindly warn her to be wary of control freaks like this guy."

My brother's final words..."By that way...that is unbelievably arrogant. That blessing could mean he will be on the High Council or the Ward council for all he knows. What a head case."

So there's one Bishops view on it.

Jeff Lebowski 09-13-2007 09:29 PM

Is this a real story? Are there really people out there stupid enough to ask a question like this?

If so, I pity this young woman.

creekster 09-13-2007 09:50 PM

Paranthetically, there is no evidence Mary Magdalene was a hooker.

Tex 09-13-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 123389)
Tex reminded us that church leaders do this for prospective GA's and others in high callings. So maybe the kid would have some basis for the question.

Do "this"? Try not to be so vague.

The question they asked a mission president friend of mine was, "Is there any sin or misdeed in your past, even repented of, that were it brought to light could embarrass the church?" (By the way, I don't know that those are the exact words--you're getting this 3rd hand--but it was to that effect.)

That strikes me as a tad further up the "serious" scale than some indiscretion as a teenager.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=19

The real problem with this situation, as others have pointed out, is that he thinks such a call is actually coming. Someone ought to share Luke 14:10 with him.

Requiem 09-13-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 123367)
Were I the Bishop:

I would tell the man that the question in and of itself is inappropriate.

I agree with the prior thoughts along the line of "If he is that concerned about it then he likely isn't GA material anyway" but if I were the Bishop I wouldn't express said thought.

I agree with this and most of the previous responses. For the purposes of a continued semblance of sanity, please tell me this is truly a hypothetical and not a real person. Do patriarchs really make such outlandish promises?

Goatnapper'96 09-13-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 123420)
I agree with this and most of the previous responses. For the purposes of a continued semblance of sanity, please tell me this is truly a hypothetical and not a real person. Do patriarchs really make such outlandish promises?

No, but many folks decide that the Patriarch did.

Chapel-Hill-Coug 09-13-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 123403)
I don't think it's an unreasonable question to ask. If you're going to be shackled to this person for the rest of eternity you have a right to know what kind of emotional baggage is coming along with them. Especially for the guy, girls get all emotionally jacked up when they're sleeping around. I don't think it's anymore inappropriate than asking if someone is suffering from a mental illness.

It's who he's asking that I have a problem with.

What he chooses to do with the information once he has it is entirely up to him, and who am I to judge that decision?

I have a roommate that had a little history, and was dating a a guy that she thought she might marry. She told him about it, because she admitted upfront that she had emotional issues from the experience, and he deserved to know that. Turns out he had more than her though and so nothing ever came of it.

I agree with you BDB, it is a very appropriate question......to ask a future spouse though, and NOT her bishop. And if it is to be asked, it should have nothing to do with worthiness, and everything to do with the practicalities of the relationship.

DrumNFeather 09-14-2007 02:41 AM

I had a friend who faced a similar situation with his girlfriend/fiance. After spending some time thinking and praying about her past transgressions (that she informed him about...he never went to the bishop) he told her that if the Lord forgave her, who was he to even concern himself with the transgression.

Not surprisingly, they are happily married with kids now.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is to know a fiance's past transgressions...if the person has truly repented and has been forgiven, then the Lord (throuh proper authority) has seen fit to forgive and allow the person to move on. When dating and making decisions about maraige, you fall in love with who they are, not who they were 5 years ago.

OrangeUte 09-14-2007 03:01 AM

agree that bishop has no business answering this question. still, i would ask the young man if his mission was the 2 best years of his life - b/c he sounds like the kind of young man who will probably answer yes for many many years to come...

MikeWaters 09-14-2007 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 123532)
agree that bishop has no business answering this question. still, i would ask the young man if his mission was the 2 best years of his life - b/c he sounds like the kind of young man who will probably answer yes for many many years to come...

boooooo..........mission is still the best two years of my life.