cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Introducing this Section (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10601)

Jeff Lebowski 08-02-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 109129)
My guess is that both forums will look virtually identical in a very short period of time.

Could be.

My problem is that I think any attempt to dictate what types of religious viewpoints are kosher in either forum will be arbitrary and unfair. Categorizing religious discussions into fully faith-based and academic-based groupings turns my stomach. Where do you draw the line? What the hell is wrong with both types of viewpoints in a single thread? I think both viewpoints are valid and worthwhile.

I could be wrong, but I think this is a bad idea.

Archaea 08-02-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 109141)
Could be.

My problem is that I think any attempt to dictate what types of religious viewpoints are kosher in either forum will be arbitrary and unfair. Categorizing religious discussions into fully faith-based and academic-based groupings turns my stomach. Where do you draw the line? What the hell is wrong with both types of viewpoints in a single thread? I think both viewpoints are valid and worthwhile.

An important perspective. What happened though is both perspectives used the one perspective to beat down the other.

It will be interesting to watch.

Jeff Lebowski 08-02-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 109143)
An important perspective. What happened though is both perspectives used the one perspective to beat down the other.

It will be interesting to watch.

Let me put it another way, the interaction between the faith-based and academic-based approaches is one of the main things I enjoy about CG. Why on earth would we want to separate that?

Archaea 08-02-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 109145)
Let me put it another way, the interaction between the faith-based and academic-based approaches is one of the main things I enjoy about CG. Why on earth would we want to separate that?

Okay, I see your point. I'm not certain how to moderate the concern where the civility is maintained.

So you want a third sector for death matches with Tex to continue?

Jeff Lebowski 08-02-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 109149)
Okay, I see your point. I'm not certain how to moderate the concern where the civility is maintained.

Well, this approach is akin to teaching your children to stop arguing by forcing them to live in separate homes. Gross overreaction.

jay santos 08-02-2007 06:20 PM

This is a dumb idea. If I had more time I'd throw in a reference from an ancient philospher to satisfy the requirements for the forum.

YOhio 08-02-2007 06:32 PM

To all you critics of this new forum, stop it! WHEN MIKE WATERS SPEAKS THE THINKING ENDS!!!!

Cali Coug 08-02-2007 06:44 PM

Gotta agree with Lebowski. We now have a new forum and three pages of posts debating about whether a link to a DNA study is appropriate for inclusion.

This is a message board. It isn't relief society. Some people will say mean things, some things will be misinterpreted and taken out of context, some people will be insensitive, others will staunchly defend any and everything, and those who are interested will read and those who are not won't.

non sequitur 08-02-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 109141)
Could be.

You are not wrong. It is a bad idea. Whenever I see the term "academic approach" I cringe. Out of curiosity, how do we differentiate between the academic approach and the pretentious approach?

MikeWaters 08-02-2007 06:57 PM

I understood the split as this:

1) personal experience
2) non-personal experience discussion