cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A bridge too far? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10016)

non sequitur 07-16-2007 08:59 PM

If God is really concerned with matters like tattoos and piercings, he must be awfully bored.

Indy Coug 07-16-2007 09:00 PM

God is concerned about everything. That's part of the job description.

BYU71 07-16-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 102079)
Hinckley.

It's a good point. A lot of times when people say "Temple Recommend questions," they are thinking of concrete, measurable things, like Word of Wisdom or chastity.

Some of the other questions leave a lot more room for interpretation.

Really. Who do you think I should consult with to get the right interpretation, you or Indy?

Sustaining the brethern doesn't mean you follow their counsel in everthing, does it.

Solon 07-16-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 102094)
If God is really concerned with matters like tattoos and piercings, he must be awfully bored.

A-FREAKING-MEN!

Indy Coug 07-16-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 102097)
Really. Who do you think I should consult with to get the right interpretation, you or Indy?

Sustaining the brethern doesn't mean you follow their counsel in everthing, does it.

I didn't offer a definition of what it means to sustain the brethren, I merely pointed out that it might be worthwhile to reflect on what it does and doesn't mean.

BYU71 07-16-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 102099)
I didn't offer a definition of what it means to sustain the brethren, I merely pointed out that it might be worthwhile to reflect on what it does and doesn't mean.

Agreed. I personally have reflected on it quite a bit and have come to a conclusion there is a difference between commandment and counsel. After much reflection my measuring stick is Temple worthiness.

That is the conclusion I have come to for myself. It doesn't bother me if someone else comes to another conclusion for themselves.

SteelBlue 07-16-2007 09:20 PM

I do think that the forum where the comments are made are important. For instance, I've heard many people say that they don't drink Coke because GGH said that we don't during his interview with Larry King. Now, beside the fact that I don't believe he actually said that (he was answering a 7 part question with one yes), I don't think he'd ever choose Larry King Live as the forum to finally lay down the law on anything.

Tex 07-16-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 102109)
I do think that the forum where the comments are made are important. For instance, I've heard many people say that they don't drink Coke because GGH said that we don't during his interview with Larry King. Now, beside the fact that I don't believe he actually said that (he was answering a 7 part question with one yes), I don't think he'd ever choose Larry King Live as the forum to finally lay down the law on anything.

Heh, funny, I know people like that too. They watch the clip and they say, "Yep, clearly caffeine is against the Word of Wisdom."

It interesting to see where everyone draws their personal line.

Solon 07-16-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 102107)
Attempts to freeze the line of acceptable dress at 1950s American corporate culture is silly. As soon as the current crop of church leaders (who were raised to believe that the IBM/CIA look is the only look approved by God) pass on, things will lighten up.

Even the CIA is okay with facial hair.
http://media.militaryphotos.net/phot...SF_Cowboy2.jpg