cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top Ten Most Offensive Statements By LDS Church Leaders (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17027)

smokymountainrain 02-22-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 188027)
Actually, you have it backwards. If you seriously think none of those comments are offensive, you are the fool.

Why? Because I choose not to be offended by them? It's actually quite nice to live life without having to worry about being offended by what others say. If that makes me foolish, so be it.

SeattleUte 02-22-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 188024)
none of those comments are offensive. That is unless, of course, you are a fool.

The comments might be ridiculous, they might be unintentionally comedic, they might be ignorant, but they most certainly aren't offensive - that is unless one makes the conscious decision to take offense and I'm not sure why anybody would choose to do that.

Yeah, I guess someone could have said that about Mein Kampf before Hitler became Chancellor of Germany and got in a position to do some real property damage and bodily injury. What's so offensive about a little hate speech between ignoramuses? Not much different than a circle jerk. Makes sense.

woot 02-22-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 188028)
Why? Because I choose not to be offended by them? It's actually quite nice to live life without having to worry about being offended by what others say. If that makes me foolish, so be it.

It seems to me that one should be able to recognize a comment as offensive without actually being offended. Otherwise, you would feel no restraint in parroting any of that nonsense.

SoonerCoug 02-22-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

You are officially a racist. Not necessarily an aggressive "hate" racist--but a racist all the same.

smokymountainrain 02-22-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 188029)
Yeah, I guess someone could have said that about Mein Kampf before Hitler became Chancellor of Germany and got in a position to do some real property damage and bodily injury. What's so offensive about a little hate speech between ignoramuses? Not much different than a circle jerk. Makes sense.

Hey if you choose to take offense, that's your problem. I'm not going to let some ignorant comments made by some dude 125 years ago offend me. It simply isn't worth it.

Indy Coug 02-22-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 188033)
You are officially a racist. Not necessarily an aggressive "hate" racist--but a racist all the same.

LOL. The racists are the ones that keep trying to race bait by rehashing old quotes like this time and time again.

smokymountainrain 02-22-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 188031)
It seems to me that one should be able to recognize a comment as offensive without actually being offended. Otherwise, you would feel no restraint in parroting any of that nonsense.

I would feel restraint because so many of those comments are either incorrect, senseless, ignorant, worthless, etc - they also might offend some weak-minded individuals.

Those would be some of the many reasons I would "feel restraint in parroting any of that nonsense".

smokymountainrain 02-22-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 188033)

that comment is just about as laughable as those made by BY, Mark Peterson, McConkie, etc.

Laughable, ignorant, stupid - but certainly not offensive. But nice try.

Sleeping in EQ 02-22-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Those quotes are not merely lapses of manners. They do not simply evidence a lack of tact. They assert (im)moral notions and thus may be justly subjected to indignation.

Your lightmindedness regarding them is unbecoming.

scottie 02-22-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Obviously one can choose not to be offended by something, but like Woot brought up that doesn't make a comment un-offensive. I'm not easily offended but much either, but I can't understand how a black or an American Indian or homosexual would feel about those comments.