cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Saw 'Juno' last night... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15609)

il Padrino Ute 05-05-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 217445)
we had a non-mormon doc come and talk to us in junior high. He said "how many of you want your future wives to have had sex with lots of different guys?" No hands. "Then maybe there is an advantage to abstinence."

He knew how to relate to male minds.

I'm of the belief that if one expects a virginal spouse, one should be willing to offer the same in return.

SeattleUte 05-05-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 217445)
we had a non-mormon doc come and talk to us in junior high. He said "how many of you want your future wives to have had sex with lots of different guys?" No hands. "Then maybe there is an advantage to abstinence."

He knew how to relate to male minds.

What an unbelievably ignorant and sexist comment. Downright primitive. I hope things have changed in Texas since you were in junior high.

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 217459)
What an unbelievably ignorant and sexist comment. Downright primitive. I hope things have changed in Texas since you were in junior high.

how many men has your wife had sex with? (PM me if too embarrassing)

il Padrino Ute 05-05-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 217459)

Are you saying that abstinence is wrong? Or that telling boys that they ought to keep it in their pants if they don't want a spouse who was a mattress back isn't a good idea?

bluegoose 05-05-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 217396)
I haven't seen it but based on trailers I saw in a hotel recently I was disturbed by the glamorizing of teen pregnancy. Maybe the whole actual movie is different. I rarely if ever disapprove of films or art in general because of the content but I didn't like that. Teen pregnancy is one of our worst societal ills and girls bear the brunt of it. I hope it never happens to any of my children but I'm not out of the woods with any of them yet.

There really wasn't much glamorization of teen pregnancy in the movie. I think part of the message was that of tolerance, but certainly not glamour.

Coach McGuirk 05-05-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 217471)
There really wasn't much glamorization of teen pregnancy in the movie. I think part of the message was that of tolerance, but certainly not glamour.

In fact I would say it showed the opposite. She was ostracized by her schoolmates and it also showed how easy it is on the male, like when his little pal vijay has a conversation with him,

VIJAY Hey man.
BLEEKER Oh, hey Vijay.
VIJAY Did you hear Juno MacGuff is
pregnant?
BLEEKER Yup.
VIJAY just like our moms and teachers!
BLEEKER Yup.
VIJAY Did you hear it’s yours?
BLEEKER Yup.
VIJAY What a trip, man.
BLEEKER I don’t really know anything about it.
VIJAY You should grow a mustache. You’re
a real man now.
BLEEKER I can’t grow a mustache. It never
comes in evenly.
VIJAY Me neither. But I’m going to stop
wearing underpants in order to
raise my sperm count. See you.

SeattleUte 05-05-2008 10:39 PM

Waters said something he thinks should enrage me. Shows how primitive he is.

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 217478)

actually I think you quite "sophisticated". If your wife asked to indulge in the pleasures of a younger man...who am I to know that your answer would be no?

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 217475)

VIJAY Hey man.
BLEEKER Oh, hey Vijay.

I thought the actor who played Beeker was awesome.

Archaea 05-05-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 217478)

Perhaps I'm not a mainstream Mormon, perhaps I am, but for me the issue of complete inexperience, though once attractive as a twenty something is not a mark of distinction as one matures.

Would you rather have a virgin who didn't know what she liked and was taking time finding out, or would you prefer a real woman who knows what she wants and goes after it? I'd prefer the latter the second time around.

Whether adults abide by chaste principles is one thing, but unemployed persons and teenagers should.