cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Prop 8 stuff heating up (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21253)

SeattleUte 07-28-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 247704)
why don't you go find a a mosque or church to disrupt and leave us alone.

you classless POS.

Is this place a church?

Cali Coug 07-28-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 247701)
My concerns are thousands of years old. I have Epicurus, Spinoza, Franklin, Paine, Einstein for starters on my side. Were they liars and possessing evil motive?

Were they without serious flaws?

RockyBalboa 07-28-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 247707)
Is this place a church?

I'm gonna be in town Thurs before the BYU/Washington game and gonna try the Metropolitan Steakhouse that has been recommended to me by a few.

Care to join me and break some bread? :)

Cali Coug 07-28-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 247696)
My motives are pure. I think it causes a net loss in happiness overall because it is an enemy of liberty and the examined life.

Oh please. How could you even begin to quantify something like that? And if "net happiness" was your concern, you certainly wouldn't rejoice at seeing someone feel sad.

Like I said, SU, it reeks of desperation to feel vindicated, and you are looking entirely in the wrong place. You should know that someone else's actions has no effect on whether or not you personally made the right decision. Every time you look at another person's acts to vindicate your own acts, you expose an inner lack of self-confidence and security.

SeattleUte 07-28-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 247714)
Every time you look at another person's acts to vindicate your own acts, you expose an inner lack of self-confidence and security.

Taking notice of and pleasure in vindication in various forms for a courageous act is human nature. It doesn't mean that the observer necessarily has any lack of self-confidence in his actions. You are presuming a cause and effect that simply need not exist. In any event, I'm concerned for your and others' enlightenment. Why did David Hume in his charming way proselatize the same message to religious family and friends of his day?

Cali Coug 07-28-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 247716)
Taking notice of and pleasure in vindication in various forms for a courageous act is human nature. It doesn't mean that the observer necessarily has any lack of self-confidence in his actions. You are presuming a cause and effect that simply need not exist. In any event, I'm concerned for your and others' enlightenment. Why did David Hume in his charming way proselatize the same message to religious family and friends of his day?

Say what you will. Only you know exactly how you feel on the issue and what brings you happiness. If my guess is correct, you need to do more than fabricate rationalizations for your feelings on an internet board to find security and peace.

Indy Coug 07-28-2008 05:39 PM

Adam, we all realize that you are Seattle Ute in embryo; the only question is how long is the gestation period.

Jeff Lebowski 07-28-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 247733)
Adam, we all realize that you are Seattle Ute in embryo; the only question is how long is the gestation period.

You are an asshole sometimes, Indy.

Indy Coug 07-28-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 247734)
You are an asshole sometimes, Indy.

[AMENDED]Adam, we all (with the predictable exception of Lebowski) realize that you are Seattle Ute in embryo; the only question is how long is the gestation period.[/AMENDED]