cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If BYU was undefeated this year would they play in the MNC game? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14491)

MikeWaters 11-30-2007 11:22 PM

What was the situation at the top of the BCS picture in 04 with Utah?

Archaea 11-30-2007 11:24 PM

If BYU goes undefeated and plays in the MNC game, I'll be Jerry Creekster's uncle.

FMCoug 11-30-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 157751)
If BYU goes undefeated and plays in the MNC game, I'll be Jerry Creekster's uncle.

Nobody is saying that as a "normal" circustance. In most years, an undefeated BYU would not come close to the MNC game. This has been an unusual year. What we're saying is that an undefeated BYU this year might have gotten a shot. And the Colley computer poll agrees.

jay santos 12-01-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 157756)
Nobody is saying that as a "normal" circustance. In most years, an undefeated BYU would not come close to the MNC game. This has been an unusual year. What we're saying is that an undefeated BYU this year might have gotten a shot. And the Colley computer poll agrees.

If they upgraded the schedule a little, they'd be in it most years with an undefeated record. The year Utah went undefeated, there were three undefeated BCS schools. On average there is probably one.

FMCoug 12-01-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 157768)
If they upgraded the schedule a little, they'd be in it most years with an undefeated record. The year Utah went undefeated, there were three undefeated BCS schools. On average there is probably one.

Agree on the schedule. But my point is that it would take a unique set of circumstances for a non-BCS to get in to the title game. You clearly need to go undefeated, but you also need the top BCS schools to beat each other up like they have this year.

That's why the "Hawaii model" is misleading. If you had 2 or 3 undefeated BCS teams, and most others were 1 loss ... Hawaii might bot even be top 15 this year, much less 12.

TripletDaddy 12-01-2007 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 157751)

That would be sweet on two levels...

One, my school would win a national championship.

Two, you would be part of my family.

il Padrino Ute 12-01-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 157481)
The BCS conspiracy theorists drive me a little batty.

BCS schools don't need to protect anything. It's always been theirs and it always will be theirs. The reason Michigan gets more $, TV ratings, national championships, important postseason games, etc. than Tulsa is not due to some conspiracy.

I agree with this. The BCS teams are the bigger names. The problem is that the BCS is driven by tv money and not to find a true champion. If there were 10+ million residents along the Wasatch Front, Utah and BYU would be in a BCS conference.

il Padrino Ute 12-01-2007 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 157749)
What was the situation at the top of the BCS picture in 04 with Utah?

Three undefeated BCS teams.

And the geniuses that make the call or feed data into the computers picked the least deserving of those 3 to be the team to play USC.

TripletDaddy 12-01-2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 157783)
I agree with this. The BCS teams are the bigger names. The problem is that the BCS is driven by tv money and not to find a true champion. If there were 10+ million residents along the Wasatch Front, Utah and BYU would be in a BCS conference.

Norman, OK
Lincoln, NE
South Bend, IN

all have metro populations similar to or smaller than SLC, yet house BCS schools and National Champions.

The issue isn't population. It is national appeal.

Indy Coug 12-01-2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 157785)
Norman, OK
Lincoln, NE
South Bend, IN

all have metro populations similar to or smaller than SLC, yet house BCS schools and National Champions.

The issue isn't population. It is national appeal.

South Bend is 1 hour drive from Chicago. 3 hours from Detroit and 2 hours from Indianapolis. That's over 10 million people.