cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What BYU needs to be successful (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17961)

cougjunkie 03-24-2008 04:42 PM

Telling stat:

Trent led the team in rebounding 1 time over the last 10 games. He averaged 4.4 rebounds per game over the last 10, JT averaged 4.2.

TripletDaddy 03-24-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 201536)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lee missed two pull-up jumpers from 18 in the last two minutes of play.

He may have. He should have taken every shot. Or drove and kicked it out. 2 shots? that's it?

He is the conference player of the year.

Kerr and Paxson made the final shots.....but MJ was the one who created the opportunity.

Look at what Stanford did on Saturday...they kept pounding it in to Lopez and it finally worked.

Rose needs to communicate to his players that THEY are not to take shots in those crunch time moments. Get the ball to Lee, let him create.

TP taking that shot was a huge piece of crap.

K-dog 03-24-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 201560)
Telling stat:

Trent led the team in rebounding 1 time over the last 10 games. He averaged 4.4 rebounds per game over the last 10, JT averaged 4.2.

Like I said at the beginning of the year. He doesn't have the heart to be a good rebounder. He is lazy.

MikeWaters 03-24-2008 04:46 PM

Trent:

1. can't rebound
2. can't defend
3. can't faceup
4. can't hold position on the block

That's a pretty nice resume.

He needs a heart transplant.

Spaz 03-24-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 201562)
He may have. He should have taken every shot. Or drove and kicked it out. 2 shots? that's it?

He is the conference player of the year.

Kerr and Paxson made the final shots.....but MJ was the one who created the opportunity.

Look at what Stanford did on Saturday...they kept pounding it in to Lopez and it finally worked.

Rose needs to communicate to his players that THEY are not to take shots in those crunch time moments. Get the ball to Lee, let him create.

TP taking that shot was a huge piece of crap.

I'd have preferred seeing Lee take those shots from 15 instead of 18. Still, you can't argue with the numbers - the guy shot over 60% from inside the arc this year. How can you not have him taking the bulk of the shots in the closing minutes of a game like that?

TripletDaddy 03-24-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 201564)
Trent:

1. can't rebound
2. can't defend
3. can't faceup
4. can't hold position on the block

That's a pretty nice resume.

5. Can't control his wife.

Indy Coug 03-24-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 201566)
I'd have preferred seeing Lee take those shots from 15 instead of 18. Still, you can't argue with the numbers - the guy shot over 60% from inside the arc this year. How can you not have him taking the bulk of the shots in the closing minutes of a game like that?

On top of that, he's a 85%+ FT shooter. Maybe if Lee would get off of the one cup of gruel a day diet made famous by Oliver! he would be have the strength/durability to mix it up close to the basket.

Goatnapper'96 03-24-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 201571)
On top of that, he's a 85%+ FT shooter. Maybe if Lee would get off of the one cup of gruel a day diet made famous by Oliver! he would be have the strength/durability to mix it up close to the basket.

I'd do anything to win a tourney game anything!
Would you say "the Church is true?"
--Anything
"Paint your face bright blue?"
--Anything!
"Go to Timbucktoo?"
And back again!

Goatnapper'96 03-24-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 201389)
The two best players on the team were Cummard and Plaisted.

So, the weaknesses on the team are at the 1, 2, and 4 positions.

Fredette has proved himself a heady player and will be the starting PG next season. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in decision making and cojones.

The real killer this season was not having a serviceable 4. A not-very-athletic Tavernari at 6'6" does not cut it. Few offensive boards, gives up offensive boards. No put backs. Big defensive liability. BYU has to have a springy athletic 4 that clean the glass on both ends, that is a stopper on the defensive end.

Burgess was our best defensive guard, and so we will need a good defender at the 2, esp. with slow-footed Fredette at the 1. A stopper who can put the ball on the floor and go to the rim and hit the open 3.

So what about a lineup as follows

1-fredette
2-cummard
3-tavernari
4-?
5-plaisted

(btw, the idea of plaisted playing the 4, when he has zero face up game is ridiculous)

If we have the above lineup, who is at the 4?

One thing I've noticed in the tourney is that ALL of the good teams are excellent on defense. BYU's defense was good, but not at the level to win games in the tourney. We need better defense.

This is the reason I wished and commented that perhaps Chris Collinsworth not going on a mission could have been a huge boon to BYU. He is the anti-Tavernari and I thought that starting CC at the 3 or 4 could have been huge for BYU. CC's shot is uhhhhh developing and as it improves he becomes pretty dynamic on offense as his ballhandling skills and athleticism are far better than most 4's BYU has. I doubt he is ever a back to basket type of player, but as pointed out BYU's offense can be successful with only 1 of those. If Collinsworth became a decent threat behind the arc he also seems far more capable and able to penetrate. Certainly his free throw shooting would have to improve but he strikes me as the type that he would improve. He doesn't appear to have mental issues other than nerves and a lack of familiarity.

But what really makes me moist for CC is the defensive versatility he would bring. Rose could put Tavernari on the opposing 3 or 4 who is less of an offensive threat. If the opposing 3 is an athletic slasher, CC covers him. If the 3 is a jumpshooter with limited athleticism, put Tav on the guy. If the 4 is athletic cover him with CC if the 4 is a post player and sationary put JT on him. There would still be matchup issues if the opponent has a good scorer at both the 3 and 4, but with Lee there are more options in how to combat that. There would be few teams that BYU will play that have serious athletes at 2-4, so somewhere there would be smaller threat to throw JT on.

But alas CC is off to do sickle thrusters.......

TripletDaddy 03-24-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 201575)
I'd do anything to win a tourney game anything!
Would you say "the Church is true?"
--Anything
"Paint your face bright blue?"
--Anything!
"Go to Timbucktoo?"
And back again!

Sung annually by NCAA selection committee to BYU:

Cheerio but be back soon,
I don't know somehow I'll miss you
I love you that's why I
say cheerio not goodbye
Don't be gone long be back soon