cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The story on Craig Jessop (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18775)

hyrum 04-23-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 212330)

Since the new conductor took over, the choir, almost without exception, has performed only church hymns. This is a big issue with Pres. Packer, so it would confirm my suspicion that he is the intermediary Jessop met with.

If so, it is sad. Mormons may have the gift of the Holy Ghost, but to act like they have a monopoly on inspiration is naive and insulting.

I think the entire choir should picket the Jazz game.

Cali Coug 04-23-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212429)
Did Jessop start this underground whisper campaign? I think it takes more guts to be open and public than start a gossip-fest.

No. My source is not Jessop.

SeattleUte 04-23-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212355)
Btw, ecclesiastical leaders telling choir directors and ward music chairpersons not to play certains kinds of music happens ALL THE TIME.

In fact it happened with my wife in my ward (she is the music chair).

I thought the music was appropriate. Obviously everyone else involved in the musical production thought it was appropriate. But the decision was made that it was not to be done.

Are our meetings more boring, and solemn than they need to be? Yes, I think so. But it's my own personal opinion, and my opinion is not going to change 150 years of solemn boredom. It's a tradition. That's why people asking the congregation to repeat "Aloha!" is so subversive (and why I like it).

For a thousand years musical instruments were forbidden in Christian services.

SeattleUte 04-23-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212429)
Did Jessop start this underground whisper campaign? I think it takes more guts to be open and public than start a gossip-fest.

The way these things usually go suggests he eventually will.

Jeff Lebowski 04-23-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 212461)
For a thousand years musical instruments were forbidden in Christian services.

Well, there you go. We believe in the restoration of the primitive church.

8ballrollin 04-23-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212355)
Btw, ecclesiastical leaders telling choir directors and ward music chairpersons not to play certains kinds of music happens ALL THE TIME.

This reminds me of an experience I once had with my bishop who refused to allow our choir to sing a version of the African American spiritual Deep River...

All-American 04-24-2008 02:41 AM

So after sending out a ping, the one thing that seemed inconsistent to a source in the choir was the bit about LDS-only music, since the choir is about to put out an Americana-type CD, though she recognized that CDs are quite a different animal from the other roles of the choir. The response was that this seems as likely a theory on what happened as any other idea being thrown around.

ute4ever 04-24-2008 03:03 AM

To those who are giving Cali Coug a hard time for not revealing his source, why would he make it up? It's not like he's disclosing a juicy list of brethren who have read the sealed portion of the BOM; rather he gave a brief timeline of the final few actions of the friggin' former choir director. Yeah real tabloid material.

DrumNFeather 04-24-2008 03:08 AM

Sounds like Jessup didn't get his due process either.

MikeWaters 04-24-2008 03:10 AM

I'm not criticizing Cali for not giving up a source. I'm just saying I'm not going to get worked up about as long as it is hearsay.

Also, I realize music in the church is crappy, and it is no shock that the church wouldn't want black gospel music. The church has its own "brand" and they want to stick to it.

I might not like it. But I'm old enough to know that is how things work.

Now if Jessop comes out and says a GA made racist statements, then we can talk.