cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   J. Beck's CES Fireside (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17377)

MikeWaters 03-05-2008 02:09 PM

SAHMs do a lot of plopping their kids in front of the TV. Which is more valuable? Interacting with peers and teachers or watching TV?

I used to be in the Norcal camp, firmly believing that kids raised by a fulltime Mom was by far superior. I am not as sure anymore.

Jeff Lebowski 03-05-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 193739)
The same applies for the husband. :)

True. But if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

jay santos 03-05-2008 02:15 PM

I don't mind her because she shares my (and my wife's) worldview on seperate but equal roles of men and women and the importance of dedicating oneself to raising children, even at the cost of some personal sacrifice. I'm not making myself out to be a hero on this, because there are some things I'm fine with sticking up my thumb at the church over and doing my own thing. So anyway, since I'm in line with Beck's views I'm cool with her. However, she definitely has an arrogant, overbearing style that could grate on you if you're not 100% in line with her.

RockyBalboa 03-05-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 193743)

Yep and if Mama ain't happy for too long, she ain't gonna be happy with half your stuff.

MikeWaters 03-05-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 193744)
I don't mind her because she shares my (and my wife's) worldview on seperate but equal roles of men and women and the importance of dedicating oneself to raising children, even at the cost of some personal sacrifice. I'm not making myself out to be a hero on this, because there are some things I'm fine with sticking up my thumb at the church over and doing my own thing. So anyway, since I'm in line with Beck's views I'm cool with her. However, she definitely has an arrogant, overbearing style that could grate on you if you're not 100% in line with her.

In other words she is 100% convinced that she is right, with no room for those who disagree, and uses strident language. We call these people "mullahs". (note: label doesn't apply to me, despite the fact I am always right)

Indy Coug 03-05-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 193743)

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.

BYU71 03-05-2008 02:34 PM

I read the piece quickly. My initial response is I see no problems. Seems to me she gave due respect to education and those who choose to pursue a career.

She gave her opinion that choosing the motherhood course is preferable to a career, but as long as I read it as her opinion and not her citing God as the authority for her opinion, I have no problem.

exUte 03-05-2008 02:46 PM

She may not be 100% right all the time........

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 193748)
In other words she is 100% convinced that she is right, with no room for those who disagree, and uses strident language. We call these people "mullahs". (note: label doesn't apply to me, despite the fact I am always right)

but she is not 100% incorrect like you would make her out to be. Remember, her talk? It was 1,227 words long and you and others focus on a 61 word example.

BTW........I agree with Santos.

exUte 03-05-2008 02:47 PM

Based on some poll or study

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 193741)
SAHMs do a lot of plopping their kids in front of the TV. Which is more valuable? Interacting with peers and teachers or watching TV?

I used to be in the Norcal camp, firmly believing that kids raised by a fulltime Mom was by far superior. I am not as sure anymore.

or based on a bias you hope is true so that it backs up your criticisms?

Do you ever quit complaining about the Church and it's leaders?

MikeWaters 03-05-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 193774)
or based on a bias you hope is true so that it backs up your criticisms?

Do you ever quit complaining about the Church and it's leaders?

You're the biggest complainer on this site, by the way.