cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20433)

Indy Coug 06-25-2008 04:45 PM

Would executing rapists encourage rapists to kill their victims?

SoCalCoug 06-25-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 234667)

Very good point. That hadn't actually occurred to me, and I think it's a very valid point.

Tex 06-25-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 234667)

Would executing rapists encourage rapists not to rape at all?

Indy Coug 06-25-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 234679)
Would executing rapists encourage rapists not to rape at all?

It's a lot easier to know why you're executing murderers: because they killed somebody.

MikeWaters 06-25-2008 05:11 PM

Tex, what about executing drunk drivers who kill?

Tex 06-25-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 234686)
It's a lot easier to know why you're executing murderers: because they killed somebody.

Perhaps. The death penalty has lots of murky areas as well, such as the recent controversy around executing mentally-challenged folks. There is no easy path to determining when to take a life, which is why this is a complex issue.

Personally I don't support the logic of using the death penalty to influence behavior, but you brought it up.

Tex 06-25-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 234687)
Tex, what about executing drunk drivers who kill?

Mike, what about this specific case?

MikeWaters 06-25-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 234690)
Mike, what about this specific case?

this specific case assuming in fact guilty, if left to my own devices I might kill the man myself. but I respect the law, and the law must be judicious and protect both the victim and the accused. So I don't kill that man.

Tex 06-25-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 234691)
this specific case assuming in fact guilty, if left to my own devices I might kill the man myself. but I respect the law, and the law must be judicious and protect both the victim and the accused. So I don't kill that man.

Up until today's ruling by a single justice majority, the law said you could.

minn_stat 06-25-2008 07:36 PM

I don't have strong feelings one way or another regarding the subject of whether or not the death penalty is appropriate for rape victims. However, I do have strong feelings about the appropriateness of SCOTUS, or any other court, overturning a law enacted through the appropriate venues on such flimsy reasoning. Let the people, through their representatives, make the laws. If they are in clear breach of the constitution, fine, overturn them. But the reasoning I'm seeing here doesn't come close, IMO.