cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   BYU's solution to its basketball woes: (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5994)

RockyBalboa 01-16-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53906)
Ok then, why not allow Foster the same?

Because he'd rather raise the ire of others on here by saying what he does and then see what kind of reaction he can get from church members. U and Y fans alike.

mpfunk 01-16-2007 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 53918)
Because he'd rather raise the ire of others on here by saying what he does and then see what kind of reaction he can get from church members. U and Y fans alike.

Or maybe he honestly believes that Foster would be better off not going on a mission. I certainly don't agree with him, but he may actually believe what he is posting.

il Padrino Ute 01-16-2007 03:58 AM

He may believe Foster would be better off not serving a mission, but he certainly doesn't have Foster's best interest at heart. It's all about wanting Foster to play basketball for the Utes in order for him (SU) to be happy with the team.

SeattleUte 01-16-2007 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53929)
He may believe Foster would be better off not serving a mission, but he certainly doesn't have Foster's best interest at heart. It's all about wanting Foster to play basketball for the Utes in order for him (SU) to be happy with the team.

No, you are distorting something I said on Utefans. I take special interest in Foster as a Ute fan. But as an abstract proposition I believe there are better uses of one's time than spending two years on a Mormon mission. I honestly believe that, and I might add that most people would agree with me, and they are not disproportionately comprised of bad people. None of my children, including my two sons, will be playing for the Utes, and I won't be encouraging any of them to go on missions. This doesn't make me evil; only in a very few places, relatively speaking, would I be considered such for holding this view.

il Padrino Ute 01-16-2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 53933)
No, you are distorting something I said on Utefans. I take special interest in Foster as a Ute fan. But as an abstract proposition I believe there are better uses of one's time than spending two years on a Mormon mission. I honestly believe that, and I might add that most people would agree with me, and they are not disproportionately comprised of bad people. None of my children, including my two sons, will be playing for the Utes, and I won't be encouraging any of them to go on missions. This doesn't make me evil; only in a very few places, relatively speaking, would I be considered such for holding this view.

I never said you were evil; only that you were selfish.

While you may feel that you have his best interest at heart, you're forgetting one very major detail: Only Foster knows what is best for Foster. Your opinion, my opinion or any other's opinion is 100% irrelevant.

YOhio 01-16-2007 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53937)
I never said you were evil; only that you were selfish.

While you may feel that you have his best interest at heart, you're forgetting one very major detail: Only Foster knows what is best for Foster. Your opinion, my opinion or any other's opinion is 100% irrelevant.

We're sports fans, best interests are counted by W's and L's. ;-)

I am constantly amazed at how quickly an innocuous comment by SU can send a board into meltdown. I expect it of Cougarboard, but I'm surprised that the intellects at the Guard fall for it. I encourage a more charitable reading of his comments. I don't think he's as devious as this thread would implicate.

All-American 01-16-2007 05:29 AM

True enough.

jay santos 01-16-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 53940)
We're sports fans, best interests are counted by W's and L's. ;-)

I am constantly amazed at how quickly an innocuous comment by SU can send a board into meltdown. I expect it of Cougarboard, but I'm surprised that the intellects at the Guard fall for it. I encourage a more charitable reading of his comments. I don't think he's as devious as this thread would implicate.

He's every bit as devious as this thread would implicate. However, what he says in this thread specifically is pretty innocuous. I was pretty happy when I heard Plaisted wasn't going on a mission.

myboynoah 01-16-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 53981)
He's every bit as devious as this thread would implicate. However, what he says in this thread specifically is pretty innocuous. I was pretty happy when I heard Plaisted wasn't going on a mission.

Me too. In a perfect world, I would have preferred that he be inclined to do so, but wasn't. What am I to do? The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

Goatnapper'96 01-17-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 53982)
Me too. In a perfect world, I would have preferred that he be inclined to do so, but wasn't. What am I to do? The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

I think both Jimmer Fredette and Jonathon Tavernari have been upfront that neither plan to serve missions.

How unfortunate for the BYU hoops fan......