cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TCU's massive failure (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26771)

JJS 01-06-2010 07:34 PM

Bummer

Total heartbreaker for TCU and the MWC. Its a shame really. Both teams are quality teams. Both teams could hang with anyone in college football (except Florida, that team is just out of this world. I hope they stumble over the next couple of years. But I digress). BSU just happened to be more prepared and has had experience playing on this stage. BSU is almost always in the perfect position. They never have anything to lose. They will always be considered an underdog and if they lose, no big deal. Its not like they are playing for the WAC to be considered for an automatic BCS birth. TCU had the weight of the conference, the media, and themselves on their shoulders (rightly or wrongly). College football is part talent, part coaching, and part psychology. Teams that have the wrong kind of pressure on them almost always lose. BSU has no pressure on them. That is why they can pull that gimmicky trick play crap. The MWC still had an amazing bowl season but unfortunately, college football nation will just say "they couldn't win the big game."

JJ

SeattleUte 01-06-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJS (Post 309004)
Total heartbreaker for TCU and the MWC. Its a shame really. Both teams are quality teams. Both teams could hang with anyone in college football (except Florida, that team is just out of this world. I hope they stumble over the next couple of years. But I digress). BSU just happened to be more prepared and has had experience playing on this stage. BSU is almost always in the perfect position. They never have anything to lose. They will always be considered an underdog and if they lose, no big deal. Its not like they are playing for the WAC to be considered for an automatic BCS birth. TCU had the weight of the conference, the media, and themselves on their shoulders (rightly or wrongly). College football is part talent, part coaching, and part psychology. Teams that have the wrong kind of pressure on them almost always lose. BSU has no pressure on them. That is why they can pull that gimmicky trick play crap. The MWC still had an amazing bowl season but unfortunately, college football nation will just say "they couldn't win the big game."

JJ

Good post, JJ. Actually, I agree. I don't know if I would separate coaching and psychology though.

MikeWaters 01-06-2010 08:39 PM

I didn't watch the game.

SeattleUte 01-06-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 309006)
I didn't watch the game.

Like I said. Who cares.

Archaea 01-07-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 309007)
Like I said. Who cares.

I watched and was surprised how flat TCU looked. In part that is attributable to BSU, but TCU looked slow and no BSU did not look fast.

Props to BSU for being well-coached and for having played well, but TCU played badly for them and the conference will suffer for TCU having lost.

MikeWaters 01-08-2010 10:07 PM

Does SU realize that putting down TCU does not make Utah any better?

Someone should let him know.

SeattleUte 01-11-2010 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 309017)
Does SU realize that putting down TCU does not make Utah any better?

Someone should let him know.

I'm just disappointed. People kept telling me how great TCU was, and I was excited for a 6-0 MWC bowl record.

Cali Coug 01-11-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 309029)
I'm just disappointed. People kept telling me how great TCU was, and I was excited for a 6-0 MWC bowl record.

Well no wonder you were disappointed. You thought TCU was going to get two wins from their bowl game (that's the only way the MWC was going to get to 6-0).

MikeWaters 01-11-2010 04:06 PM

I always take SU's opinion with the asterisk that he hasn't actually seen a college football game on TV or in person in years.