cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Eagle Court of Honor for 19 Eagles (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24573)

YOhio 11-09-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 292638)
Just look at all the 14 year old kids getting their Eagle Scout in Utah. Enough said.

I earned my Eagle Scout award as a fourteen year old. I'm sure my mom helped some, but we had a scout master who was pretty aggressive. Everybody in our troop earned their Eagle, most before they became priests.

FMCoug 11-09-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 292645)
I earned my Eagle Scout award as a fourteen year old. I'm sure my mom helped some, but we had a scout master who was pretty aggressive. Everybody in our troop earned their Eagle, most before they became priests.

To me it depends on what is being categorized as the "work". If we're saying that leaders, parents, etc. helping organize, prod, make sure the kids are doing what they need to, sure.

But I know of no situation where actual merit badge work, etc. was done by someone other than the schout.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 292645)
I earned my Eagle Scout award as a fourteen year old. I'm sure my mom helped some, but we had a scout master who was pretty aggressive.

http://adamsandler.jt.org/andrea/SNL/canteen/adamal.jpg

RC Vikings 11-09-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 292658)

DDD your killing me with that one.

BarbaraGordon 11-09-2008 10:28 PM

We call troops like that Eagle Factories, and it's not intended as a compliment.

creekster 11-09-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 292623)
It may be that way in California, but here in Utah, we force our kids to do the work.

That's amusing, but a coup[le kids in my ward actually went TO Utah to do their eagle review because the board here is so tough (full of non-LDS scouters; hardcore guys that wear the red trimmed socks).

BarbaraGordon 11-09-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 292668)
That's amusing, but a coup[le kids in my ward actually went TO Utah to do their eagle review because the board here is so tough (full of non-LDS scouters; hardcore guys that wear the red trimmed socks).

I thought they got rid of the red socks?

TripletDaddy 11-09-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 292668)

quick straw poll.....red-topped socks: fold over the tops or no?

As a young scout my red tops were folded over. As I got older, I started to rebel and not fold them over. Also, I would wear socks that were different shades of faded green. I just didn't care at that point.

cougjunkie 11-09-2008 10:47 PM

I was a life scout at 16, with only an eagle project left, never did get my eagle. I just became to burned out and really didnt care. In fact I still dont have any regrets, my resume does but not me.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 292674)
I was a life scout at 16, with only an eagle project left, never did get my eagle. I just became to burned out and really didnt care. In fact I still dont have any regrets, my resume does but not me.

Spoken like a real scouter.

No kid earns his Eagle at 14 without his mom doing some of the work for him. And by some, I mean thinking up, coordinating, and basically completing almost all aspects of the eagle project.