cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is gay marriage (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24002)

exUte 10-27-2008 01:28 AM

Let me dumb it down even further......

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 284514)
:confused:

Y = Yes. Gay marriage is ordained of God.
N = No. Gay marriage is NOT ordained of God.
:confused: = I don't care what God thinks.

BarbaraGordon 10-27-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 284511)
We won't address the role of the Church at this time.

"We" won't?

You're something else, you know that? I know you like to think you carry the light of the Gospel to the board, but some reason I associate you more with 2nd Corinthians 12:7.

BarbaraGordon 10-27-2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 284515)
Y = Yes. Gay marriage is ordained of God.
N = No. Gay marriage is NOT ordained of God.
:confused: = I don't care what God thinks.

That's right. UDan is telling God to go to hell. Glad you called him out on that.

All-American 10-27-2008 02:17 AM

You want it? Fine.

I do not believe gay marriage is ordained of God.

I don't believe God approves of people leaving the church, either. Do you want us to legislate against that, too?

If you want to outlaw gay marriage or anything else, you're going to have to come up with a better reason than that.

BarbaraGordon 10-27-2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 284524)
You want it? Fine.

I don't believe God approves of people leaving the church, either. Do you want us to legislate against that, too?

If you want to outlaw gay marriage or anything else, you're going to have to come up with a better reason than that.

Legal marriage and ecclesiastical marriage have never been interchangeable. A few hundred years ago in England, marriages were not recognized as such by the church without parental consent, even though they were legally binding. In the antebellum south, well-treated slaves were treated to wedding ceremonies by ordained ministers, but their marriages were not legally recognized. Today, Catholics can obtain an annulment so that (ecclesiastically speaking) a marriage never existed, yet the couple is still legally recorded as having been married. Muslims in this country often enter into marriages that are recognized by the mosque but not by the state. And in most states, couples cohabitating for an extended period of time enter into common law marriages which not only are not sanctioned by the church, they're expressly forbidden.

The point is, the church really shouldn't care whom the government thinks is or is not married. The church still gets to make its own rules and marry or not marry whomever they wish. That's the great thing about living in America.

exUte 10-27-2008 03:42 AM

I asked him to respond and gave him

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 284517)
That's right. UDan is telling God to go to hell. Glad you called him out on that.

three options.

Talk about a nut case..........calm down Babs.

exUte 10-27-2008 03:43 AM

So if you believe that, you should sit idly

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 284524)
You want it? Fine.

by? It was the legal system that made it a legal and legislative issue. The people had already voted once.

exUte 10-27-2008 03:46 AM

Babs, shows how ignorant some voters are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 284527)
Legal marriage and ecclesiastical marriage have never been interchangeable. A few hundred years ago in England, marriages were not recognized as such by the church without parental consent, even though they were legally binding. In the antebellum south, well-treated slaves were treated to wedding ceremonies by ordained ministers, but their marriages were not legally recognized. Today, Catholics can obtain an annulment so that (ecclesiastically speaking) a marriage never existed, yet the couple is still legally recorded as having been married. Muslims in this country often enter into marriages that are recognized by the mosque but not by the state. And in most states, couples cohabitating for an extended period of time enter into common law marriages which not only are not sanctioned by the church, they're expressly forbidden.

The point is, the church really shouldn't care whom the government thinks is or is not married. The church still gets to make its own rules and marry or not marry whomever they wish. That's the great thing about living in America.

If you think the gay agenda stops there, fine. LOL

Plus the Church has a right to stand up for moral issues when they see fit. They saw fit. If you want to fight what some might think is counsel from a prophet of God. Go ahead. Apparently you are better informed than the 1st presidency and know better the will of God.

BarbaraGordon 10-27-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 284542)
Apparently you are better informed than the 1st presidency and know better the will of God.

Of course I do, dingdong. They're MORMONS!

YOhio 10-27-2008 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 284542)
If you think the gay agenda stops there, fine.

When I heard that gays don't even use Franklin-Covey for their agenda my mind was put at ease because they'll be terribly inneficient with their crappy Daytimers.