cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ceteris Paribus (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18779)

TripletDaddy 04-23-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus (Post 212413)
Enjoy the witty commentary from many - including '71, AA, Adam, Archaea, CC, DDD, Gnapper, IPU, LPoke, PAC, SeattleUte, Solon and the non A&M OCD version of Waters.

This list is like one of McCarthy's lists.....some glaring omissions and a whole bunch of folks who don't deserve to be on it.

PS.....why did you alphebetize your list? If it is because you have OCD, do you use public restrooms?

bluegoose 04-23-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 212485)
This list is like one of McCarthy's lists.....some glaring omissions and a whole bunch of folks who don't deserve to be on it.

PS.....why did you alphebetize your list? If it is because you have OCD, do you use public restrooms?

Technically, '71s full moniker name is BYU71, so its not completely accurate. I had the same thought, wondering if the user list page for "B" names was down when he was compiling his list. Apparently not. I was an intentional omission.

BarbaraGordon 04-24-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212418)
She is too skinny (her face looks gaunt), and she looks like she was given a swirlie in a toilet full of tan spray.

I'm crushed. I'll have you know I gained three pounds for that shoot and that's a real tan. That's my natural hair color, too.

(Don't mind me. I'm just trying to be witty to make CP's list.)

CP: I like your name. I've always been curious whether ceteris should be pronounced with a /k/ or an /s/ at the beginning. I think generally ceteris paribus is pronounced with a /k/, but in et cetera it's pronounced with a /s/. This makes no sense. What say you?

ps. I alphabetized my list of suggested names for Marsupial's offspring, so ignore TD's scoffs. Ordering lists in informal settings is perfectly normal. Really.

All-American 04-24-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 212514)
I'm crushed. I'll have you know I gained three pounds for that shoot and that's a real tan. That's my natural hair color, too.

CP: I like your name. I've always been curious whether ceteris should be pronounced with a /k/ or an /s/ at the beginning. I think generally ceteris paribus is pronounced with a /k/, but in et cetera it's pronounced with a /s/. This makes no sense. What say you?

ps. I alphabetized my list of suggested names for Marsupial's offspring, so ignore TD's scoffs. Ordering lists in informal settings is perfectly normal. Really.

Last time I talked with a native Latin speaker, he used a /k/. . .

I've been taught that C=/k/. It works for me, since C. is used as an abbreviation for Gaius, and given the lunate sigma of Greek, it is easy to see why C could have adopted the /s/ sound. The letter K looks to me like a Greek influence.

Detroitdad 04-24-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 212420)
I am hurt that you don't fine me witty, but you left off YOhio and included SU so you must be drunk.

Great to have you in a non-lurking status.

Seconded.

PaloAltoCougar 04-24-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

I've always been curious whether ceteris should be pronounced with a /k/ or an /s/ at the beginning. I think generally ceteris paribus is pronounced with a /k/, but in et cetera it's pronounced with a /s/. This makes no sense. What say you?

I was taught it's with a /k/, but I dunno. Before aversion therapy eliminated certain inclinations, I used to daydream in Larry Wimmer's Econ class of starting a mobile gourmet dining enterprise named Cater Us Fabulous.

Cali Coug 04-24-2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 212523)
I was taught it's with a /k/, but I dunno. Before aversion therapy eliminated certain inclinations, I used to daydream in Larry Wimmer's Econ class of starting a mobile gourmet dining enterprise named Cater Us Fabulous.

lol! I like it.

Pronunciation in link below.

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...eris%20paribus

TripletDaddy 04-24-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Whatever. Your lists are annoying, banal, mediocre, uninspiring and vapid.

TripletDaddy 04-24-2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 212523)

Speaking of clever names for commerce, when we were in vegas recently for the Vegas Bowl, we saw a hair salon called "Curl Up & Dye." The guy inside looked like Criss Angel, so I think the place catered to the Hot Topic crowd.

Previously, I knew of a place called "Garden of Eatin'," which I did not like so much.