cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Backpacking stoves (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18605)

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie R. (Post 210073)
Lebowski -

Have you used white gas or unleaded in your coleman? I'm curious if one burns stronger than the other.

I think my biggest hangup with the coleman is that I've got one of their larger camp stoves and it seems to always smell a little like gas. I don't know if that is just because it is so old and it probably leaks some, or what. But I'm hesitant due to my (perhaps unreasonable) thought that it would be more prone to leak and smell up everything in my pack.

I always use white gas. I haven't tried unleaded. I have never had a problem with odor or leakage.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 08:21 PM

I have had some minor issues with odor.

Beacuse when you detach the line from the fuel bottle, there is always a small amount of fuel still in the hose despite burning out.

And if you open the top of the fuel bottle very slowly while pressurized, you are going to get some gas mist/liquid. This is while the bottle is pretty full. Haven't done it when almost empty.

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 08:32 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Gives me some idea when I get looking a little more closely at the outdoor store this weekend.

I don't go all the time, though I'd like to go more. I just want something that works hassle free, doesn't weigh too much, and won't break the bank unnecessarily. Sounds like there are a lot of good options depending on the features you like.

creekster 04-17-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie R. (Post 210083)
Thanks for the input everyone. Gives me some idea when I get looking a little more closely at the outdoor store this weekend.

I don't go all the time, though I'd like to go more. I just want something that works hassle free, doesn't weigh too much, and won't break the bank unnecessarily. Sounds like there are a lot of good options depending on the features you like.

I'll just add one thing. I go on a week long trip once a year and in our group we have all of these stoves and over the last couple of years most of the others have replaced their stoves with the superfly.

8ballrollin 04-17-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 210084)
I'll just add one thing. I go on a week long trip once a year and in our group we have all of these stoves and over the last couple of years most of the others have replaced their stoves with the superfly.

Creekster is a closer.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 09:33 PM

remember you cant take those canisters on a plane. fuel bottle you can.

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 09:33 PM

Yeah, that's quite a sales pitch.

I think my initial inclination towards the superfly was due to the simple nature of sticking it on the fuel supply, firing it up, and cooking with it. I'll admit that I glanced at the coleman stoves too, but they look a bit heavier to me. And the places I end up getting hauled off to in the uintas are rugged enough that I'd rather put my weight into a sleeping pad. If I was into extremely high altitude, winter backpacking, or longer trips I might pay more attention to the fuel source issue. For what I do the little snap on canisters of butane will work great. I don't do any fancy enough cooking to need a stove with the hose and fuel canister and I don't go frequently enough for fuel cost to become an issue.

Again - thanks all for the input.

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 09:36 PM

Mike - that's certainly something to be aware of. I just backpack around here, so I'm not to worried about getting on a plane with one. I'm also assuming that in the event that I did I could find a Walmart just about anywhere willing to sell me a new canister.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 09:40 PM

plane issue. mine multiple fuel and sinners. good for emergency

bluegoose 04-17-2008 10:13 PM

I've got a MSR whisperlite shaker white gas stove. When its working (worked) it has been a good stove. I've had problems lighting it in the past and out of laziness have gone with a Coleman propane campstove. Its a lot easier to light and maintain a constant flame than the Whisperlite. Its a bit heavier, but when you're already carrying 75-80 pounds, whats an extra pound.

And Mike, thank goodness most of us live in parts of the country where we don't have to take an airplane to get to prime backpacking spots. If you'd like to see such a place, I'd be more than happy to pick you up at our local airport with your empty fuel conisters and show you around.