cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Input needed (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18297)

Jeff Lebowski 04-06-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205466)
It's 3 syllables in the north, and 2 in the south.

That was funny.

RockyBalboa 04-06-2008 11:27 PM

Stockton if it's a boy.

Grace if it's a girl.

Detroitdad 04-06-2008 11:37 PM

Try to give them a distinctive, pronouncable and not mundane name. Go French, Italian, or Spanish and you will not go wrong.

Tex 04-07-2008 12:01 AM

My only suggestion is to give them a name they will not be forced to spell out every time they give it ... one that will inevitably be misspelled by hundreds of people throughout his/her life.

This includes substituting "y" for "i" and vice versa (no "Cyndi" or "Kathrin").

One more: avoid Book of Mormon names. Favor names of folks in your family history.

Archaea 04-07-2008 12:04 AM

Austere Archaea has a nice ring to it.

William James would also be great.

il Padrino Ute 04-07-2008 12:05 AM

Boy names
Brooks
Joshua
Quinn
Icabod
Morty
Zeke

Girl name
Olivia
Carmen
Hailey
Gretchen
Emma
Melba

marsupial 04-07-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205460)
a family in our ward named their son Bowen.

This is not a bad name. Danimal doesn't like it. But so far he seems to be the pickiest. I will look it up and add it to the list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 205468)
That name is very "Thomas the Train" friendly. I approve.

Up until recently, we've had a Thomas the Train friendly First Presidency. As far as I know there is no Dieter train. However, Gordon, Thomas, Henry and James are all really useful engines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 205471)
Virgil (I suggested the name for all five boys but my wife would not hear of it!)
Agustus (gus)

Since the Lord won't bless us with girls I'll share some girl names of our friends children:

Fiona

We knew a Virgil and he was super cool. I have Gus on the list already but Danimal doesn't like it.
I'd like the name Fiona better if it wasn't for Shrek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 205476)
Stockton if it's a boy.

Grace if it's a girl.

Too bad I'm not having twins, I could have a Stockton and a Modesto.

Grace is beautiful name. It was danimal's grandmother's name and it has been used several times already by danimal's family members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 205477)
Try to give them a distinctive, pronouncable and not mundane name. Go French, Italian, or Spanish and you will not go wrong.

My maiden name is quite unique. In fact, I've never known anyone with my maiden name who wasn't related to me. My married name is quite common so I would like a less common (but not weird or made up) first name for my kids. If my kids had my maiden name, I probably wouldn't care how common the first name was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 205480)
My only suggestion is to give them a name they will not be forced to spell out every time they give it ... one that will inevitably be misspelled by hundreds of people throughout his/her life.

This includes substituting "y" for "i" and vice versa (no "Cyndi" or "Kathrin").

I prefer the traditional spellings of names and I typically don't like names that have multiple spellings (and that would include my own name). For example, I went to high school with a Kristin, a Kristen and a Christin.

ewth8tr 04-07-2008 12:31 AM

Well, my kids names are Robert, Emery, Lindsey and Ella. Then, we just found out we are expecting our 5th in December and the name will be Owen if it is a boy or Adalyn if it's a girl (I wanted Ada, wife wanted something a bit longer, so it will be Adalyn, but I'm still gonna call her Ada :))

marsupial 04-07-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 205465)
How many syllables is your last name? (This is of the utmost importance in Barbara's guide to baby names.)

Do you follow the rule that the first and last names must have a different number of syllables? Because we have not been very good at following that rule with our first two.

RockyBalboa 04-07-2008 12:35 AM

Who cares if Grace has already been used by family members?

Honestly...when it comes to naming babies...that is the GAYEST rule that couples or one of them freak out about.

Why don't people just name their kid whatever they want instead of feeling like their child won't be unique, if it....heaven forbid has the same first name as 13958235939825038 other people in the world?