cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do you like Mormon art? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11177)

il Padrino Ute 08-26-2007 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 117114)
When one deals with Lebowski, one needs to get a jump on the stretching that will follow.

Disagree. But then, I've never created a problem with Lebowski.

Jeff Lebowski 08-26-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 117110)
But hates seems to imply you'd firebomb her studio if you had the chance.

Now that's just hilarious.

Lingo, sometimes you are dumber than a sack of hammers.

JohnnyLingo 08-26-2007 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 117125)
Now that's just hilarious.

Lingo, sometimes you are dumber than a sack of hammers.

No substance, just an attack.

Just status quo from Jeff.

jay santos 08-26-2007 05:03 AM

I'll get mocked for this, obviously, but I like Liz Swindle (not really her Joseph Smith stuff), and this is one of my favorites.

http://www.greenwichworkshop.com/new...at/swindle.jpg

Sleeping in EQ 08-27-2007 01:45 PM

Teichert has some passable work. SiRS and I have a print of her "Mary and Martha" on the wall.

Most Mormon art I've seen is not good.

The best Mormon art is the pictures the sunbeams draw where everyone has oversized heads and hands.

il Padrino Ute 08-27-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 117345)
Teichert has some passable work. SiRS and I have a print of her "Mary and Martha" on the wall.

Most Mormon art I've seen is not good.

The best Mormon art is the pictures the sunbeams draw where everyone has oversized heads and hands.

Agreed about the Sunbeams artwork. My daughter drew a picture of me when she was a sunbeam that would give one the impression that I have tremendous hearing.

creekster 08-27-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 117448)
Agreed about the Sunbeams artwork. My daughter drew a picture of me when she was a sunbeam that would give one the impression that I have tremendous hearing.

When my oldest son was that age he drew figures that had legs and arms shaped sort of like long sausages. I noticed that some of this figures had three legs, but other didn't. I asked him why some had three legs and he told me matter of factly, and with a little exapseration that I was grapsing the obvious, that this was how one could tell the boy figures form the girl figures.

Tex 08-27-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 117047)
Good old Liz Lemon Swindle. Oh how I hate her work.

Just curious: do you legitmately not like the art, or do you just not like that it's "vogue"?

I find a lot of Mormon media-haters just don't like how prolific the stuff is, like it's too trendy. IOW, Cougarguard-brand iconoclasm.

il Padrino Ute 08-27-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 117499)
When my oldest son was that age he drew figures that had legs and arms shaped sort of like long sausages. I noticed that some of this figures had three legs, but other didn't. I asked him why some had three legs and he told me matter of factly, and with a little exapseration that I was grapsing the obvious, that this was how one could tell the boy figures form the girl figures.

LOL!

I about choked on the Coke I was sipping as I read that. Too funny.

Jeff Lebowski 08-27-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 117505)
Just curious: do you legitmately not like the art, or do you just not like that it's "vogue"?

I find a lot of Mormon media-haters just don't like how prolific the stuff is, like it's too trendy. IOW, Cougarguard-brand iconoclasm.

I don't know, Tex. Her style just always seemed cheesy to me. Sappy. I like my art to be more subtle. The scenes she paints and the expressions on the faces seem to be emotionally manipulative. About as subtle as a sledge hammer. The two paintings in YOhio's posts are good examples. As is her painting of Joseph in Liberty Jail. Who would want that staring down from the wall of your family room?

But hey, that's just me. If you have them all over your house, then swell for you.