cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Can Black Diamond Bay logon yet? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8852)

Archaea 06-06-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 87494)
Some of you guys? If some of us are "old" what does that make you, Tonto?

I drink from the Spring of Eternal Youth. The Spaniards never found it but I did.

BTW, that remark is directed mostly at you, Creekster, RC Viking, nonsequitur and PAC.

creekster 06-06-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 87499)
I drink from the Spring of Eternal Youth. The Spaniards never found it but I did.

BTW, that remark is directed mostly at you, Creekster, RC Viking, nonsequitur and PAC.

Gee, thanks for spelling it out, pal.

BarbaraGordon 06-06-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 87502)
Gee, thanks for spelling it out, pal.

Well, at your age he wasn't sure you'd pick up on the implication. ;)

SeattleUte 06-06-2007 05:06 PM

Some regulars here may think they're pretty smart but wouldn't have the hubris to come and openly reject the weight of scientific opinion about carbon dating. Now that takes a real smarty pants.

All-American 06-06-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 87512)
Some regulars here may think they're pretty smart but wouldn't have the hubris to come and openly reject the weight of scientific opinion about carbon dating. Now that takes a real smarty pants.

Good grief, man. Expressing doubts about the certainty of carbon dating is not tantamount to openly rejecting reason and scientific research in the world and calling for a return to the year 1100. She wanted more information on the matter before she accepted the process as reliable. Such an inquiry should be encouraged by a champion of "enlightenment" such as yourself.

If, in fact, she is being openly belligerent and willfully ignorant of the facts in order to maintain her view of the world (which I very much doubt), it establishes nothing regarding her status with the board, except that the two of you ought to go out sometime.

Archaea 06-06-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 87516)
the two of you ought to go out sometime.

I'd pay to watch that date.

BarbaraGordon 06-06-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 87512)

You know Seattle, this illustrates the point Lingo and Tex have tried to make. That in spite of the board's attempts to be a space for exchange of all viewpoints, those with conservative or perhaps less-academic positions are often demeaned/dismissed in rather condescending fashion.

It is one thing to point out the weaknesses in someone's position. It is another to resort to sarcastic insults.

But BDB is clearly capable of her own defense, so I will leave it to her (if she returns) to address your comment.

Sleeping in EQ 06-06-2007 05:22 PM

Carbon dating? I must have missed something.

BarbaraGordon 06-06-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 87523)
Carbon dating? I must have missed something.

check the polynesian chicken bones thread from yesterday.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8833

SeattleUte 06-06-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 87516)
Good grief, man. Expressing doubts about the certainty of carbon dating is not tantamount to openly rejecting reason and scientific research in the world and calling for a return to the year 1100. She wanted more information on the matter before she accepted the process as reliable. Such an inquiry should be encouraged by a champion of "enlightenment" such as yourself.

If, in fact, she is being openly belligerent and willfully ignorant of the facts in order to maintain her view of the world (which I very much doubt), it establishes nothing regarding her status with the board, except that the two of you ought to go out sometime.

This is has all grown pretty silly but FYI she said she'd stick to "educated guess" rather than resort to carbon dating. When I asked her, is that because you believe the world is 6,000 years old?, which in my experience is what makes people wholesale reject carbon dating, things got testy.