cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Welcome Prof-Bball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14460)

Indy Coug 11-30-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 157636)
I didn't see that. I thought our freshmen looked like reserves and freshmen. I don't think it speaks poorly of them that they were unready to compete against the best competition in the country.

Exactly. Why can't freshman have freshman-esque expectations of them and have the patience to allow them to develop over a couple of years?

Travis Hansen didn't exactly look like all that and a bag of chips his sophomore year.

RockyBalboa 11-30-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 157640)
Well, Loyd was put in to play the 2 ahead of Jimmer. So what does that say?

Loyd was put in to play the point, not the 2 guard.

MikeWaters 11-30-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 157672)
Loyd was put in to play the point, not the 2 guard.

Murdock and Loyd were on the floor at the same time. If you want to say it was Murdock at the 2, then whatever. Point is still the same. Coach would rather have someone out of position than play Fredette at the 2.

Prof-Bball 11-30-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 157640)
Well, Loyd was put in to play the 2 ahead of Jimmer. So what does that say?

I don't think the coaches trust Jimmer's on the ball D yet. If you notice in the past that when Lloyd comes in at the 2 he usually guards the point guard, like against Jackson st. I dont think them putting LLoyd in was not showing confidence in Jimmer, I just really think they like how Lloyd defends, even more than murdock. That said if the coaches could do it over again they might put Jimmer in. Lloyds turnovers killed us and we needed some buckets. The point is I think the coaches would rather put in a freshman who is a very good defender in cruchtime than go to a freshman for offensive firepower when you have guys like Lee, JT, and trent on the court.

Goatnapper'96 11-30-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof-Bball (Post 157699)
I don't think the coaches trust Jimmer's on the ball D yet. If you notice in the past that when Lloyd comes in at the 2 he usually guards the point guard, like against Jackson st. I dont think them putting LLoyd in was not showing confidence in Jimmer, I just really think they like how Lloyd defends, even more than murdock. That said if the coaches could do it over again they might put Jimmer in. Lloyds turnovers killed us and we needed some buckets. The point is I think the coaches would rather put in a freshman who is a very good defender in cruchtime than go to a freshman for offensive firepower when you have guys like Lee, JT, and trent on the court.

Don't let Mike bother you, he has some strange self-loathing or Ghandilike fetish of self-deprivation. Most people from Texas are miserable like unto he.

MikeWaters 11-30-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 157712)
Don't let Mike bother you, he has some strange self-loathing or Ghandilike fetish of self-deprivation. Most people from Texas are miserable like unto he.

You will notice that Prof BBall just agreed with me.

Goatnapper'96 11-30-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 157716)
You will notice that Prof BBall just agreed with me.

You own the site, he is being kind and tasteful. He leaves it to me to tell you that on many occassions you are full of shit.

See, my old man grew up in Schnectady, NY and Glenns Falls is real close as they both are suburbs of Albany. So I am all over the Jimmer Fredette protection from Mike Waters' racist stereotypes of his skeelz committee.

To quote the former Brother Brinkley "it is a New York way of life."

jay santos 11-30-2007 10:10 PM

I think it was both offense and defense reasons Loyd went in to play the 2 over Jimmer. UNC's quickness rattled Jimmer when he went in the first half. He looked like a TO waiting to happen. Loyd didn't do much better. My opinion: it was partially a talent issue but mostly a confidence issue. He'll get better. UNC can do that to a lot of people. You guys remember us trying to run our offense from 40 ft from the basket in games over the last five years against Cincy, UCLA, UCONN, UNC, etc.

Prof-Bball 11-30-2007 10:47 PM

I'm not saying I dont think it was a coaching mistake putting Lloyd in instead of Jimmer, all I meant to say in my response was that I can understand the thought process of the coaches. Honestly I think they were less concerned in winning than they were keeping the score close, but you cant blame them for that.