cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What's the most evil/controversial thing the Prophet has asked you to do? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13257)

FMCoug 10-26-2007 05:33 PM

Obey the law of the land. This means civil disobedience is contrary to the counsel of the Prophet. Not a good place to be.

Indy Coug 10-26-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 142151)
Obey the law of the land. This means civil disobedience is contrary to the counsel of the Prophet. Not a good place to be.

But you can still effect change through lawful community involvement and exercising your right to vote, correct?

FMCoug 10-26-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 142177)
But you can still effect change through lawful community involvement and exercising your right to vote, correct?

Sometimes that's not enough.

Indy Coug 10-26-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 142193)
Sometimes that's not enough.

Regardless, this is a thread about reality, not theory.

YOhio 10-26-2007 06:38 PM

I always regret investing so much into the Kirtland Safety Society.

Tex 10-26-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 142201)

*Whiff!*

FMCoug 10-26-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 142195)
Regardless, this is a thread about reality, not theory.

In my short life, maybe so. But it would hopeully have presented a dilemma for saints just a generation or two ago. Would you have supported segregation and Jim Crow laws because they were the "law of the land"?

Indy Coug 10-26-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 142214)
In my short life, maybe so. But it would hopeully have presented a dilemma for saints just a generation or two ago. Would you have supported segregation and Jim Crow laws because they were the "law of the land"?

Again, this is a thread about reality, not theory. There are innumerable threads on this site about the unspeakable evils that will inevitably be committed by a blindly obedient church membership when a prophet asks them to do something evil.

P.S. Polygamy was an extended case of church civil disobedience.

myboynoah 10-26-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 142201)

"No, but you . . . you . . . you're thinking of this place all wrong. As if I had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in Joe's house . . . . . . right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to build, and then, they're going to pay it back to you as best they can. Now what are you going to do? Foreclose on them?"

My hope is that Joseph was more George Baily than Uncle Billy during the whole episode. I wonder if Violet and Fanny Alger bear any physical resemblance.

Indy Coug 10-26-2007 07:13 PM

[SoonerCoug]When I was a poor Mexican, the prophet made me pay the same tithing percentage as everyone else.[/SoonerCoug]