cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tough run this morning (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18272)

ThatSportsFan 04-07-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 205635)
So here's my dilemma: I have the SL Half next Saturday the 19th. What should I do as far as training while keeping off the IT Band?

If I were you I would just take this week off and follow the instructions from Steele. I had to take a week off for my shin and I really didn't feel like I missed anything fitness wise after that week off. Ya it sucks but it will help you in the long run.

fuegote 04-07-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205638)
the horizontal tango?

That's good for 3 minutes, but what will I do for the 1:47' that I'm usually running every other day.

The good news is I didn't have any symptoms of this until this week and I'm pretty sure it is a reaction to my sprained ankle of 3 weeks ago. I rolled my ankle playing basketball and started running on it 4 days later (cause I'm an idiot). Not too long afterward my left hammy started tightening up (due to over compensating for my ankle) and I'm pretty sure that is what cause my IT band on my right side to be inflamed.

Good times. Stupid basketball. I blame basketball.

MikeWaters 04-07-2008 04:30 PM

I had IT tendonitis, when I first got a road bike, because I did 100k after only having ridden my bike a couple of times.

It took several weeks to recover.

SteelBlue 04-07-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 205635)
So here's my dilemma: I have the SL Half next Saturday the 19th. What should I do as far as training while keeping off the IT Band?

I hate to tell you this, but a half marathon in two weeks is likely to put you right back where you are today. You may get away with a week's rest and some light running the week of the race. I'm almost certain though that 13.1 miles is going to aggravate your IT band all over again. You'll probably need to plan on a minimum of 2 weeks without running after your half. Hopefully bluegoose will weigh in on this thread today. But his advice is likely to be worse news.

fuegote 04-07-2008 07:19 PM

I'll probably do that then. this week off, light training next week. Run the 13.1 that Saturday and then take 2 weeks off of running. Hello swimming pool.

Sea Chicken 04-07-2008 07:42 PM

The good news is if this is your first half marathon, you'll set yourself up for a smokin' new PR for your next race!

bluegoose 04-07-2008 07:59 PM

I just accidentally deleted a nice little response, so I'll just summarize this time.

Good advice so far. Immediate management can include rest, ice (pack or ice massage), anti-inflam meds and eventually stretching. Local AI cream would also be helpful. Ketoprofen is the most common one used in the clinic. Other PT treatment modalities can be helpful, but aren't usually necessary.

Cross friction massage to the ITB just above the knee can also be very helpful. 5-10 minutes several times daily.

Preventing further problems can be tricky. Make sure your shoes are in good shape. Check your running routes to make sure you're not always running with your affected leg downhill. Figure out how to stretch it out on the road as well. It may be awhile before its gone completely.

Is there something other than pavement that you can run on next week?

fuegote 04-07-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 205826)
Is there something other than pavement that you can run on next week?

I'm a treadmill guy (done most of my running on the treadmill) so I can do my training there.

fuegote 04-08-2008 02:29 PM

Frustrating. Usually my long run days are my high calorie loss days and my weight hasn't gone down for almost a month (staying in the same 5 lb area) so I'm even more frustrated.

Dang.

SteelBlue 04-08-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 206100)
Frustrating. Usually my long run days are my high calorie loss days and my weight hasn't gone down for almost a month (staying in the same 5 lb area) so I'm even more frustrated.

Dang.

When I was rehabbing my ITB I took my frustrations out with upper body lifting. You can burn a ton of calories lifting. Unfortunately, you have to stay away from the leg exercises for the most part.