cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The story on Craig Jessop (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18775)

Tex 04-23-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malapert (Post 212344)
This post is so replete with conjecture and speculation, my head is shaking involuntarily, and it isn't that I am plagued with Parkinson's desease.

Kinda my thought as well. But Cali's good at posting anonymous "Inside Baseball" church rumors without attribution.

And no good story about what SOBs the leaders are goes unheralded on CG. After all, it makes them more human, right?

MikeWaters 04-23-2008 08:07 PM

Tex, we do like the embarrassing stuff written down on church letterhead. It makes it harder to deny.

Tex 04-23-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212349)
Tex, we do like the embarrassing stuff written down on church letterhead. It makes it harder to deny.

Church letterhead would certainly lend this tale some credibility.

malapert 04-23-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212340)
Does Jessop have the guts to tell his story? If he tells his story will he be excommunicated, if it is like you said?

If your story is true, I can only imagine how upset Elder Packer must be with Gladys Knight.

Good point. Pres Hinckley encouraged Gladys Knight to form her choir and, being personally aquainted with many in the group, I can tell you their service has produced outstanding results and touched the hearts of many.

MikeWaters 04-23-2008 08:13 PM

Btw, ecclesiastical leaders telling choir directors and ward music chairpersons not to play certains kinds of music happens ALL THE TIME.

In fact it happened with my wife in my ward (she is the music chair).

I thought the music was appropriate. Obviously everyone else involved in the musical production thought it was appropriate. But the decision was made that it was not to be done.

Are our meetings more boring, and solemn than they need to be? Yes, I think so. But it's my own personal opinion, and my opinion is not going to change 150 years of solemn boredom. It's a tradition. That's why people asking the congregation to repeat "Aloha!" is so subversive (and why I like it).

All-American 04-23-2008 09:08 PM

Hmm. I have contacts in and over the choir. Let me send out a ping and see if there is any response. There probably won't be any, though-- I don't think anybody I know would talk. But we'll see.

Cali Coug 04-23-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 212395)
Hmm. I have contacts in and over the choir. Let me send out a ping and see if there is any response. There probably won't be any, though-- I don't think anybody I know would talk. But we'll see.

Feel free.

All-American 04-23-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 212340)
Does Jessop have the guts to tell his story? If he tells his story will he be excommunicated, if it is like you said?

If your story is true, I can only imagine how upset Elder Packer must be with Gladys Knight.

I'm thrilled that Jessop didn't have the "guts" to air his grievances. Would that more members showed such wise restraint.

Tex 04-23-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 212403)
I'm thrilled that Jessop didn't have the "guts" to air his grievances. Would that more members showed such wise restraint.

Maybe Packer forced out Danzig as a message to Jessop to keep his mouth closed.

MikeWaters 04-23-2008 09:46 PM

Did Jessop start this underground whisper campaign? I think it takes more guts to be open and public than start a gossip-fest.