cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   My prediction for a Tex thread tomorrow (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23175)

ute4ever 10-03-2008 02:36 AM

Was that the same Palin who has been stumbling over how to spell "Alaska"? Goodness the difference between this debate and all of her media appearances from the past five weeks were like night and day.

Jeff Lebowski 10-03-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 273779)
Gwen Ifil just said there will be 2 minutes for discussion after each question, and that she has not shared the questions or topics with anyone.

Where did you get your bad information, Leb?

I don't recall.

Jeff Lebowski 10-03-2008 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 273780)
It came out in the NYTimes a couple of weeks ago. The candidates must have continued negotiations after that agreement was negotiated. Either that or the Times had its story wrong.

I swear I read it somewhere.

Jeff Lebowski 10-03-2008 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 273788)
I'm calling this. Palin wins.

I thought she got her ass kicked. Eye of the beholder, I suppose.

BarbaraGordon 10-03-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 273818)
I saw it too. I will try to hunt it down.

It was me. I posted it. You read it. And as I've established myself as such a credible, reliable, unbiased and worthy authority on these matters, you both understandably logged it as fact instead of as standard message board drivel.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?p=269296

Indy Coug 10-03-2008 05:32 AM

I didn't watch any of the debate, but I did turn to several networks afterwards and the consensus seemed to be that both did well.

myboynoah 10-03-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 273793)
I thought she got her ass kicked. Eye of the beholder, I suppose.

While I do have conservative political leanings, I do not let those views affect my analysis of political events. Trust me on this.

Also, I was handicapping Palin significantly.

BlueK 10-03-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 273837)
By the way, what in the world was up with Palin just deciding to answer questions nobody asked and refusing (literally) to answer those asked? She was all over the place tonight.

can we go back to discussing our energy policy?

myboynoah 10-03-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 273809)
That's good, because you also called McCain's win after the debate. I hope you are equally right now as you were then!

(polls once again indicate the Dem won).

Jesus won his debates as well, although public opinion was significantly against him. Something to think about.

Tex 10-03-2008 03:26 PM

Far more interesting debate than last week's, and more interesting than the last couple of VP debates.

Biden did quite well. He avoided gaffing and did not come across as a bully or condescending. He took many shots at McCain--which is what he's supposed to do--that Palin let slide, probably because she doesn't possess his encyclopedic knowledge of the last 35 years of federal law. He did come across as a little wonkish, which I don't think appeals to the common man.

By now this is cliche, but Palin easily exceeded all expectations. She was relaxed, a little funny, and very comfortable. She made good points on the topics, particularly on energy, and held her own on foreign policy. She even pushed back on Joe a little.

In the end I think Palin did more for her ticket than Biden did for his. That's probably a result of the media and pundit criticism she's taken the last couple of weeks (no one pays attention to Biden except his gaffes). Typically I'd say no one really votes for VP anyway, but this may be an exception year because so many conservatives (including me) dislike McCain. Those who questioned Palin after the Couric interviews may now come back into the fold.

Did she sway undecideds? Frank Luntz certainly thought so. We'll see if the polls show anything.

All in all, a pretty entertaining debate. I expect the next two to be as dull as the first.