cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "Marry in your own race" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22308)

Flystripper 09-09-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 263273)
This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.

yuck

Jeff Lebowski 09-09-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 263336)
You all can go to hell.

lol.

T Blue 09-09-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 263273)
This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.

I wonder if this is one of waters "gettysburghs" ?

Indy Coug 09-09-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Blue (Post 263341)
I wonder if this is one of waters "gettysburghs" ?

Mike Waters is the Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the short bus.

Flystripper 09-09-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 263345)
Mike Waters is the Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the short bus.

So its a good idea to continue to teach this garbage to the youth? Without people objecting to the curriculum the church will continue to teach the youth this awful doctrine. We need MORE Rosa Parks on this issue not less. Your calling Mike retarded by reference of the "Short Bus" may be funny to some but is indicative of the overall problem.

TripletDaddy 09-09-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 263348)
So its a good idea to continue to teach this garbage to the youth? Without people objecting to the curriculum the church will continue to teach the youth this awful doctrine. We need MORE Rosa Parks on this issue not less. Your calling Mike retarded by reference of the "Short Bus" may be funny to some but is indicative of the overall problem.

I think we are being blessed with more of Indy's infamous humor....much like his recent "fag" joke.

Indy is a crack up!

Indy Coug 09-09-2008 05:00 PM

In our branch of multi-ethnic youth, we're more concerned about them keeping their pants on right now (which is not some abstract, hypothetical problem and I am not resorting to hyperbole) than we are about the ethnic makeup of their future spouse.

Ethnicity is not even a topic of discussion when it comes to talking about temple marriage.

SteelBlue 09-09-2008 05:03 PM

I skipped that quote when I taught that lesson years ago. I recently was in attendance when this lesson was taught in our ward and the instructor began reading the quote and then said "oops, I had this marked as don't read, never mind guys". I think many people leave out that quote. IIRC, the quote also advises that we marry within our own socioeconomic status as well. It's definitely one for the trash bin.

Indy Coug 09-09-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 263350)
I think we are being blessed with more of Indy's infamous humor....much like his recent "fag" joke.

Indy is a crack up!

C'mon. Someone has to poke fun at Mike's little Quixotic crusades.

Archaea 09-09-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 263336)
You all can go to hell.

That's more like it.