cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Brief Intro (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6994)

Solon 03-10-2007 02:47 PM

Oh yeah, I like sports. I just don't like BYU sports.

I have two degrees from Utah.

But I'm not about to come to a message board with "cougar" its name and talk smack on the Cougs. It's your house.

Nice point about Solon's boy-fixation, MRD. It always freaks my students out when we talk about ancient Greek pederasty. No matter how much we think we know about those people, when it comes down to it, we don't know all that much.

I chose the name Solon because he was one of the Seven Sages of ancient Greece. The other names are a little too difficult to pronounce.

Although the Greeks disagreed on the exact makeup of the seven, here's one list:

Solon, Bias, Chilon, Thales, Cleobulus, Pittacus, and Periander.

The Solon who lived in Athens in the 6th century BC laid the foundations for democracy and abolished debt slavery.

But yes, he was into poetry and little boys, and that's where my admiration ends.

Solon 03-10-2007 02:54 PM

Mmmmmmmm Baseball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 65047)
I'm the token Ute moron. Unlike everyone else here, I didn't go to school to get an education. I just went to play baseball.

I'm sure you pursued your "baseball education." Not all learning is done in a classroom.

I can't wait for Opening Day. It's better than Christmas.

YOhio 03-10-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 65073)
I'm sure you pursued your "baseball education." Not all learning is done in a classroom.

Who is your baseball team?

il Padrino Ute 03-10-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 65073)

A Ute and a baseball fan?

Mike, thanks a million times over for providing us with this forum.

Solon 03-10-2007 08:19 PM

I've always liked

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 65088)
Who is your baseball team?

Boston. I know, it sounds like I'm a front-runner, but growing up in Salt Lake, they ran stories on Bruce Hurst every other day. So, I've followed them for 20+ years now.

Since I moved to PA, I've started following the Pirates for an NL team to root for. They're awful, but fun to watch.

You?

il Padrino Ute 03-10-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 65099)
Boston. I know, it sounds like I'm a front-runner, but growing up in Salt Lake, they ran stories on Bruce Hurst every other day. So, I've followed them for 20+ years now.

Since I moved to PA, I've started following the Pirates for an NL team to root for. They're awful, but fun to watch.

You?

The Pirates? Being an Orioles fan, that cuts me deep. I still have nightmares about the 1979 World Series.

I can deal with you being a Red Sox fan. At least you don't follow the cult of the Bronx.

Solon 03-10-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 65104)
The Pirates? Being an Orioles fan, that cuts me deep. I still have nightmares about the 1979 World Series.

I can deal with you being a Red Sox fan. At least you don't follow the cult of the Bronx.

Camden is a special place. And I'm glad we agree on the AL East's Evil Empire.

YOhio 03-11-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

You?

The Reds are my team. They're at least better than the Pirates. I have heard that PNC Park is a terrific sports venue. I'd like to get there some time.

Il Pad and Solon may appreciate my experience at Camden Yards. In the Summer of '04 I attended a game at Camden where the O's played the Red Sox. It turned out to be one of Nomar Garciaparra's last games as a Boston player. It was a fun game and I enjoyed seeing the bottom-dwelling Orioles defeat the eventual World Series champs that day.

il Padrino Ute 03-11-2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 65124)
The Reds are my team. They're at least better than the Pirates. I have heard that PNC Park is a terrific sports venue. I'd like to get there some time.

Il Pad and Solon may appreciate my experience at Camden Yards. In the Summer of '04 I attended a game at Camden where the O's played the Red Sox. It turned out to be one of Nomar Garciaparra's last games as a Boston player. It was a fun game and I enjoyed seeing the bottom-dwelling Orioles defeat the eventual World Series champs that day.

Camden Yards is terrific. I love it there. I was there on Sept. 6, 1995 for Rip's game #2,131. I was at the All-Star game in '93.

Boog's BBQ is awesome.

SteelBlue 03-11-2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Boston.

That makes two of us then.