cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Go Bulldogs!!! (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20448)

cougjunkie 06-26-2008 04:44 PM

Fresno state was 33-27 in the regular season they dont make the regionals without winning the WAC tourney. This is a great story, however they actually had more players drafted than Georgia did.

Mars 06-26-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 234846)
Their pre-tournament RPI was 89, good enough for an NIT invite in college hoops. Pretty impressive run.

But there are 320-ish Div. I college hoops teams, with just 65 teams in the Tourny. How many teams in college baseball overall, and how many in the championship tourny? I would guess it's a lot less...

bluegoose 06-27-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 235246)
But there are 320-ish Div. I college hoops teams, with just 65 teams in the Tourny. How many teams in college baseball overall, and how many in the championship tourny? I would guess it's a lot less...

I'm not completely sure what your point is here?

296 D1 baseball teams. 48 teams in the super regionals, with 12 in the CWS.

Fresno wouldn't have even sniffed the super regionals had they not won their conference championship.

My point is they overcame incredible odds in winning the CWS, let alone just getting there in the first place. The record books would agree with me. Like Steelblue said, this is like a 15 or 16 seed winning the NCAA hoops tourney.

il Padrino Ute 06-27-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 235796)
I'm not completely sure what your point is here?

296 D1 baseball teams. 48 teams in the super regionals, with 12 in the CWS.

Fresno wouldn't have even sniffed the super regionals had they not won their conference championship.

My point is they overcame incredible odds in winning the CWS, let alone just getting there in the first place. The record books would agree with me. Like Steelblue said, this is like a 15 or 16 seed winning the NCAA hoops tourney.

Yep, what Fresno State did was huge. The only thing that would be more of an accomplishment would be if a cold weather school won the CWS.

MikeWaters 06-27-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 235812)
Yep, what Fresno State did was huge. The only thing that would be more of an accomplishment would be if a cold weather school won the CWS.

not huge. never heard about it.

Levin 07-01-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 235813)

B/c MikeWaters-awareness is the barometer for hugeness.

il Padrino Ute 07-01-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 235813)

That's because you don't understand baseball.