cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ancestry roll call (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9718)

jay santos 07-06-2007 06:06 PM

Mostly English with some Danish and other European.

Indy Coug 07-06-2007 06:16 PM

Here it is in descending order

English
Icelandic
German
Norwegian
Danish
Samoan

nikuman 07-06-2007 06:41 PM

In order:

Ukranian
French (via the Huguenots and Canada)
English
Scandanavian
Sioux Indian

I'm also 1/2 Japanese, but that's a different story that's not reflected in my DNA.

marsupial 07-06-2007 06:50 PM

French
German
English
Welsch

My father's father was born and raised in San Francisco by a French mother and a German father, both immigrants. Maybe it's because of all my grandparents, I liked him the best, or maybe it's just that I have romanticized the idea being an immigrant in San Francisco in the early 1900s, but I am proudest of my French and German heritage.

UtahDan 07-06-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 98305)
1/2 English
1/4 Hawaiian
1/8 Japanese
1/8 Chinese

My mother's side was baptized in Yorkshire, England and made the trek with the saints a few generations ago. They settled in Bountiful and then eventually migrated to eastern Idaho.

My father's side was baptized in Hawaii around the turn of the century. Great-great grandparents were full Japanese and Chinese. Ah-puck and Kawashima. They came to Hawaii seeking work in the cane fields. I also, have some Portuguese, my grandmother was a Coelho, but they're the Pollocks of Polynesia so we just as soon not acknowledge it.

This reminds me of one of the funniest King of the Hill episodes:

HANK: So, are you Chinese or Japanese?
KHAN: I live in California last twenty years, but first come from Laos.
HANK: Huh?
KHAN: Laos. We Laotian.
BILL: The ocean? What ocean?
KHAN: We are Laotian. From Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in Southeast Asia. It's between Vietnam and Thailand, okay? Population 4.7 million.
HANK: [after a long pause and a blank stare] So, are you Chinese or Japanese?

So, surfah......are you chinese or japanese? :-)

Actually I think I would have guessed that you were a caucasian/islander/asian combo. Some slight asian facial features but to damn big to not have some poly in there.

UtahDan 07-06-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 98418)
In order:

Ukranian
French (via the Huguenots and Canada)
English
Scandanavian
Sioux Indian

I'm also 1/2 Japanese, but that's a different story that's not reflected in my DNA.

Interestingly, I am also a Huguenot decendent. Remi's.

BigFatMeanie 07-06-2007 07:23 PM

3/4 English/Welsh
1/4 German

Mormon Red Death 07-06-2007 07:29 PM

Ephraimite....

Surfah 07-06-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 98427)
This reminds me of one of the funniest King of the Hill episodes:

HANK: So, are you Chinese or Japanese?
KHAN: I live in California last twenty years, but first come from Laos.
HANK: Huh?
KHAN: Laos. We Laotian.
BILL: The ocean? What ocean?
KHAN: We are Laotian. From Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in Southeast Asia. It's between Vietnam and Thailand, okay? Population 4.7 million.
HANK: [after a long pause and a blank stare] So, are you Chinese or Japanese?

So, surfah......are you chinese or japanese? :-)

Actually I think I would have guessed that you were a caucasian/islander/asian combo. Some slight asian facial features but to damn big to not have some poly in there.

That episode was hilarious. As my fiance pointed out during a game of table tennis where I proclaimed that I was going to whoop her ass because I am Chinese, I am whatever I need to be when it's convenient. And she's right.

I do get that question though quite a bit. I tell them my last name is Chong. And then they ask, so is that Chinese or Japanese? The Korean Club at BYU used to call me every semester as well. And everyone on my mission thought I was latin. I'd explain that I was from Hawaii and then they'd say, but your parents are from Mexico?

I wish I had more height and size though. My father's oldest brother makes my dad look like a runt. And you've seen my old man.

UtahDan 07-06-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 98442)
That episode was hilarious. As my fiance pointed out during a game of table tennis where I proclaimed that I was going to whoop her ass because I am Chinese, I am whatever I need to be when it's convenient. And she's right.

I do get that question though quite a bit. I tell them my last name is Chong. And then they ask, so is that Chinese or Japanese? The Korean Club at BYU used to call me every semester as well. And everyone on my mission thought I was latin. I'd explain that I was from Hawaii and then they'd say, but your parents are from Mexico?

I wish I had more height and size though. My father's oldest brother makes my dad look like a runt. And you've seen my old man.

I don't remember your dad as being a huge guy. I remember him being a good sized guy who is hard as a rock and tough as nails. Didn't he play hoops for like an hour with a pretty badly broken finger?