cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What's more likely to make you apostate, science or theology? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12216)

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 128930)
It's just people's way of trying to explain something that they don't understand, so I wouldn't call it BS, just perhaps scientifically unverifiable, as is almost all aspects of religious activity or belief.

chances are when you move from scientifically unverifiable premises to a conclusion to another conclusion, you'll end up in BS land.

Ultimately, you'll wonder why your BS is incoherent and flawed, and lose your faith.

il Padrino Ute 09-28-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 128912)
I don't believe study creates apostasy for the most part, but the uncaring, noninclusive mullah atmosphere within Church creates it. A big tent environment would eliminate a lot of apostasy.

I disagree that atmosphere creates apostasy. It seems that most apostates choose that path and use the lack of a big tent environment as an excuse to deflect blame.

Archaea 09-28-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 128959)
I disagree that atmosphere creates apostasy. It seems that most apostates choose that path and use the lack of a big tent environment as an excuse to deflect blame.

Some people will leave for many reasons, they don't want to do what's asked, they are struggling and encounter an unsympathetic leader or what not. If we always had wise and caring leaders those who struggle would receive better care. If a person felt loved no matter what fewer would apostasize.

Requiem 09-28-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 129006)
If a person felt loved no matter what fewer would apostasize.

To that comment I would add if leadership could be trusted with openly and honestly discussing their history, there would be less apostasy.:rolleyes:

This may become fodder for a new Jeff Foxworthy bit: You know you must be an apostate when...

Sleeping in EQ 09-28-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 129014)
To that comment I would add if leadership could be trusted with openly and honestly discussing their history, there would be less apostasy.:rolleyes:

This may become fodder for a new Jeff Foxworthy bit: You know you must be an apostate when...

Amen.

...you stop hiding your Sunstone when the home teachers come over.

SoonerCoug 09-28-2007 07:43 PM

Theology.

Archaea 09-28-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 129034)
Amen.

...you stop hiding your Sunstone when the home teachers come over.

Easy for me, ours, if we have any, don't visit. No visits, thank goodness in over two years.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 129036)
Theology.

From my experience theology/religious studies departments have a much higher % of atheists than science depts.

creekster 09-28-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 129044)
From my experience theology/religious studies departments have a much higher % of atheists than science depts.

But that correlation may not support the causation you seem to be suggesting.

ChinoCoug 09-28-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 129048)
But that correlation may not support the causation you seem to be suggesting.

OK, what variables do you propose may affect that %?