cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What is your favorite Story song? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18332)

il Padrino Ute 04-09-2008 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 206413)
You guys are me. I alluded to it in my original post (the part about dragons?) and Il pad posts El Paso ignoring that it was also in my original post. Oh well.

I apologize if you felt that I ignored that you had posted it first. I just finally found a thread where the video is actually a legitimate part of it. If you want to take credit for the video, that's ok with me. ;)

creekster 04-09-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 206417)
I apologize if you felt that I ignored that you had posted it first. I just finally found a thread where the video is actually a legitimate part of it. If you want to take credit for the video, that's ok with me. ;)

No, I just thought that you had missed it. It is a hilarious video.

il Padrino Ute 04-09-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 206421)
No, I just thought that you had missed it. It is a hilarious video.

Yes, it is and I remember when it originally aired on Steve Martin's show from the very late 70s or very early 80s. I'm glad someone posted it over on you tube for all to enjoy.

Parrot Head 04-09-2008 03:51 AM

YOhio mentioned one song, but Ben Folds falls into the category that most of his songs are stories. More appropriate for the semi-sports board would be "Boxing."

And Flight of the Conchords' "If You're Into It" has a what-if storyline:
Quote:

In The Buff Being Rude, Doing Stuff With The Food. Getting Lude With His Food. We Heard That's What You Are Into.

And, of course, throw some Jimmy Buffett into the mix with "A Pirate Looks at Forty."

creekster 04-09-2008 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Head (Post 206431)

And, of course, throw some Jimmy Buffett into the mix with "A Pirate Looks at Forty."

Buffet! Of course a Parrot Head would remind us of this. Buffet is full of good stories. Pirate looks at 40 is a good one.

The Borg 04-09-2008 04:16 AM

I think we've all been suckered into one of Creeksters marketing ploy. He probably works for "RomCo" and is trying to put together a CD to sell:

"50 All-Time Greatest Story Songs.....by RomCo!"

I'm on to ya Creek.

SeattleUte 04-10-2008 03:14 AM

What about Garden Party.

RedHeadGal 11-02-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 206124)
hmm, it seems that Sting was the original, and Johnny Cash covered it later.

I like a pampered Brit, but I still want to hear the other.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5422

I saw Sting in concert this past weekend, where he played "I Hung My Head." He talked a little about how he likes country music but as a person "who's not even from the south of England" he lacks a little country cred. Said that the fact the Johnny Cash had covered this song was consequnetly a proud moment for him. I thought of this exchange on CG.

I still love Sting, aging rocker that he is. I think I was possibly the youngest person there.

creekster 11-04-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 314996)
I saw Sting in concert this past weekend, where he played "I Hung My Head." He talked a little about how he likes country music but as a person "who's not even from the south of England" he lacks a little country cred. Said that the fact the Johnny Cash had covered this song was consequnetly a proud moment for him. I thought of this exchange on CG.

I still love Sting, aging rocker that he is. I think I was possibly the youngest person there.

I cant recall if I said this before, but I Hung My Head is a cool song to me becasue it is in 9/8 time. Cash's version is changed to 4/4 which feels more authentic to the style of the lyrics, but totally loses the unique aspect fo the song, in my mind. I assume that Sting perfromed it in 9/8 time?