cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Inconsistent Application of Church Discipline - Why? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9563)

Archaea 07-02-2007 11:25 PM

By virtue of my position, I became aware of a penitent member who went to a council, confessed his transgression, and received the harshest penalty which that council could issue. The member was compliant yet crushed. To compound the problem, one of the bishopric disclosed both the occurrence of the council and the decision of the council. By virtue of the profile of the member it became instant fodder for the gossip mill. Again the affected member was further crushed, yet none came to the member's assistance or support.

The fire and brimstone members probably believe this member got what was coming to him. I have pause to wonder if the member wouldn't be benefitted more with compassion, not disclosure and mean-spiritedness. It seems it is the goal of some members, even those who become leaders. The lack of compassion for transgressors concerns, even those may deserve some condemnation. This weighs upon me heavily. I never wish to be God's executioner, but if I could assist him in healing that would be fine by me. It seems some cherish the opportunity to be an executioner.

Tex 07-02-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96545)
I consider his body of work, not a few miscellaneous comments. My impression may be erroneous, but he comes across like a company man, and some of his comments on torture make me believe confessing to him would be the same as submitting oneself to the executioner, he'd have a gleem in his eye and he recommended execommunication with no possibility of rebaptism. Perhaps he merely wishes to portray himself as a bad ass that he is not.

What a remarkably unfair representation.

Indy Coug 07-02-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96514)
If Indy, Tex and Lingo were in a bishopric, you'd probably see a high number of excommunications.

What post(s) in this thread would give you that impression???? I even posted against "sentencing guidelines" in this thread because it would likely rob mercy rather than justice.

Archaea 07-02-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 96556)
What a remarkably unfair representation.

You do not perceive your public persona as that of a bad ass? I'd wager a fair number of posters might perceive you as such. Perhaps it is one you do not wish to cultivate.

At least in certain quarters, you are perceived as a Company Man, in light of your tireless defense of Republican politics, some comments you've made regarding torture, and your tireless defense of the infallibility of leadership. In one sense, your loyalty is admirable; but in another, it plays as a pure company man.

Perhaps it's not fair, but that's the public persona.

Tex 07-02-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96560)
You do not perceive your public persona as that of a bad ass? I'd wager a fair number of posters might perceive you as such. Perhaps it is one you do not wish to cultivate.

At least in certain quarters, you are perceived as a Company Man, in light of your tireless defense of Republican politics, some comments you've made regarding torture, and your tireless defense of the infallibility of leadership. In one sense, your loyalty is admirable; but in another, it plays as a pure company man.

It's truly amazing that you can find a way to drag torture and politics into a thread with which it has nothing to do... all to take a cheap shot at someone with whom you disagree.

Requiem 07-02-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96551)
By virtue of my position, I became aware of a penitent member who went to a council, confessed his transgression, and received the harshest penalty which that council could issue. The member was compliant yet crushed. To compound the problem, one of the bishopric disclosed both the occurrence of the council and the decision of the council. By virtue of the profile of the member it became instant fodder for the gossip mill. Again the affected member was further crushed, yet none came to the member's assistance or support.

The fire and brimstone members probably believe this member got what was coming to him. I have pause to wonder if the member wouldn't be benefitted more with compassion, not disclosure and mean-spiritedness. It seems it is the goal of some members, even those who become leaders. The lack of compassion for transgressors concerns, even those may deserve some condemnation. This weighs upon me heavily. I never wish to be God's executioner, but if I could assist him in healing that would be fine by me. It seems some cherish the opportunity to be an executioner.

The very act of making public the outcome of a disciplinary council, followed by the marginalization of the repentant confessor, is nothing more than institutional voyeurism. Do you think that the nature of Mormon wards makes this a more common practice? I wonder why some people take joy in the misfortune of others - it seems to be the antithesis of the Savior's message.

Several years ago, I was made aware of a missionary sent home early because he came forward and confessed a sexual sin to his mission president. He could not handle the public shame and the outright cruelty of his home ward and subsequently took his own life. There are probably many similarly tragic incidents.

Like you, I too take comfort in the premise we should be part of the healing, not the 'eye for an eye' aspect of forgiveness. Life is too fragile.

Archaea 07-02-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 96564)
It's truly amazing that you can find a way to drag torture and politics into a thread with which it has nothing to do... all to take a cheap shot at someone with whom you disagree.

You believe the entire body of work is not worth considering? If not, I stand corrected.

Indy Coug 07-02-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96560)

Your public persona is one of a histrionic woman.

Tex 07-02-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96568)
You believe the entire body of work is not worth considering? If not, I stand corrected.

I don't think my position in the torture discussion has anything remotely to do with my position in this discussion. Connecting the two takes a cognitive leap that could span continents.

But enough narcissism. People can judge my comments for themselves.

Indy Coug 07-02-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 96572)
But enough narcissism. People can judge my comments for themselves.

Evidently, they can't; as evidenced by Archaea's comments the last two pages.