cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What's the most evil/controversial thing the Prophet has asked you to do? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13257)

woot 10-28-2007 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 142627)
You asked for bad things not the result of religious actions.

No, I didn't.

Quote:

Despite your narrow-mindedness, religious is NOT the source of the world's ills. Most of them start with poverty which is NOT religiously based, but based on economic systems.
More simple-minded projection. Please begin reading what I'm actually typing rather than what you wish I were typing.

Archaea 10-28-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 142633)
Ok now I must question your reading comprehension. "Name a bad thing that would not have happened without the influence of religion" is met with a list of bad things that did happen without the influence of religion. That's not smart. Also, you're completely wrong about Nazism. "Gott mit uns" comes to mind, but again, that's irrelevant.

That was a political rubric, but it really stemmed from Nietschean Arian superiority of the races. Read Mein Kampf, it was not a religious movement in the traditional sense, but a nationalist, racist movement.

It is also easy to name what would not have occurred but for religion, civilization. Without the cradles of religion, societies would not have coalesced, from the Code of Hamurabi, to Egyptian Monarchs, the Sumerian societies, and even the Minoan societies were based upon religiously linked processes.

Archaea 10-28-2007 03:37 AM

Without religion, society and civilization would not exist. I submit, man's inner search through religion created the outlook necessary to create empiricism.

So you reject religion in the development of all civilization, you would be left to hunter/gathers and no large society.

woot 10-28-2007 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 142637)
That was a political rubric, but it really stemmed from Nietschean Arian superiority of the races. Read Mein Kampf, it was not a religious movement in the traditional sense, but a nationalist, racist movement.

It is also easy to name what would not have occurred but for religion, civilization. Without the cradles of religion, societies would not have coalesced, from the Code of Hamurabi, to Egyptian Monarchs, the Sumerian societies, and even the Minoan societies were based upon religiously linked processes.

Man you're thick. You continue to misunderstand simple English. I'm not asking for bad things that did happen without religion, I'm looking for bad things that would not have happened if not for religion. 9/11 should be an obvious example. The question is so obvious that the only point is to set up the second question. If you think civilization would not have occurred without religion, you're beyond ignorant.

Archaea 10-28-2007 03:41 AM

Woot you are beginning the questioning process of Master's students, believing your questions are the answers.

A reading of anthropology would show that religion has played a significant role in the development of modern society.

To argue otherwise is insanity.

The more important question is what is its future role in modern society. Reasonable minds could disagree on that point, but if you wish to argue religion has not played a significant role in the development of civilization, then you have no credibility and we have nothing to discuss.

Archaea 10-28-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 142640)
I'm looking for bad things that would not have happened if not for religion. 9/11 should be an obvious example. The question is so obvious that the only point is to set up the second question. If you think civilization would not have occurred without religion, you're beyond ignorant.

You're asking a question which I refuse to examine because it's a red herring.

However, I challenge you to find one primitive civilization and any major ancient society that would not have been created and coalesced without a religion at its center or periphery.

The question about bad things arising from religion is non sequitur. Religions involve people and anything involving people will necessarily involve bad and good. Ask a relevant question not a non-sequitur. I don't answer dumb ass questions from Masters students with no life experience.

woot 10-28-2007 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 142643)
Woot you are beginning the questioning process of Master's students, believing your questions are the answers.

Yet more empty platitudes. Why can't you just say what you mean?

Quote:

A reading of anthropology would show that religion has played a significant role in the development of modern society.
Yet again, you completely miss the point. I happen to be a graduate student in anthropology, by the way, so you might want to reconsider the lecturing about anthropological ignorance. I asked for a good thing that couldn't have happened except for religion, and you offer "civilization." Society, which has existed for many million years among various animal populations, if combined with agriculture or some other nutrition source that allows for a stable location, equals the beginnings of civilization. The rise of agriculture correlates very well with the archaeological evidence suggestive of civilization, no matter where it occurred in the world.

We don't have great knowledge of what most early civilizations believed, but the evidence that we have suggests that they all had some sort of metaphysical belief system. This is not evidence for the usefulness of religion. You're making the exact same mistake I already corrected you on earlier. That they happened to be religious isn't evidence that religion was necessary, or even helpful. If it was in fact helpful, and an argument can be made that it was in certain areas, that still doesn't mean it was necessary or even a net positive.

Quote:

The more important question is what is its future role in modern society. Reasonable minds could disagree on that point, but if you wish to argue religion has not played a significant role in the development of civilization, then you have no credibility and we have nothing to discuss.
And if you want to argue that the moon landing was a hoax, then we have nothing to discuss. Luckily, I am able to recognize that you didn't actually make that argument. :)

myboynoah 10-28-2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 142645)

However, I challenge you to find one primitive civilization and any major ancient society that would not have been created and coalesced without a religion at its center or periphery.

The question about bad things arising from religion is non sequitur. Religions involve people and anything involving people will necessarily involve bad and good. Ask a relevant question not a non-sequitur. I don't answer dumb ass questions from Masters students with no life experience.

Arch, you go girl!

woot 10-28-2007 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 142645)

It was used as a rhetorical device in order to set up the second question. That should have been obvious, and if you are offended that it took you an hour to figure out what I was even asking (and I'm still not convinced that you have figured out what I'm asking) isn't my problem. I love the talk about real world experience. Yet more irrelevant, empty rhetoric. For now, I'll go ahead and not explain to you how completely wrong you are on that point to see if we can get back on track.

Archaea 10-28-2007 04:03 AM

woot we know full well you're a grad student, not a Phd in anthropology, one of the "softest" of all sciences, unlike the hard sciences of physics, chemistry and biology. Yours is a blend of both, but anthropology is still a lot of guesswork.

We will have difficulty "proving" the necessity of a metaphysical belief system, but I've settled it in my mind. Until contrary evidence of a great society formed without one, you'd be hard-pressed to convince anybody that the belief system did not play a significant role in the formation of that civilization. My proof is of the recorded societies from about 3000 BCE on, all had some sort of metaphysical belief system. Pre-historical societies don't appear to have achieved much greatness, until writing developed, and writing is usually linked to religion, governmental and liturgical rites. At least initially.

The only societies which reject religious thought are basically later societies which took the earlier benefits of an existing society, i.e., Chinese society.