PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Spinning...

DirtyHippieUTE
12-30-2005, 05:09 AM
I hit the spin bike for a couple of hours today. It was a little easier because I was at the gym where they have ESPN and I was watching the Utes play.

Has anyone else tried to sit on a spin bike for 2+ hours? I can crank out an hour without much trouble but after that I start to go a little crazy and it seems like the taint ache is worse.

I can go for 3 or 4 hours on the road but after about 90 minutes of spinning I'm ready to walk away and never touch a bike again...

What ever will I do...?

SteelBlue
12-30-2005, 06:29 AM
A good friend advised me to stand and pedal for at least 30 seconds every 5 minutes on the trainer/spinner. This will spare you some taint pain.

DirtyHippieUTE
12-30-2005, 02:35 PM
A good friend advised me to stand and pedal for at least 30 seconds every 5 minutes on the trainer/spinner. This will spare you some taint pain.

I spend plenty of time out of the saddle. When I'm doing "hills" I usually spend at least half of my time standing on the pegs. I can't get my heart rate up over 88% if I don't.

Anyway... I think it's a boredom thing. More time to think about the taint and notice the ache.

Springtime in N. Idaho can't come soon enough. I just moved here and the roads are a cyclist's dream. Rolling wheat fields as far as the eye can see.

bluegoose
12-30-2005, 02:41 PM
For me, about an hour on a spinner or a trainer is all I can bear. More than that and I am going out of my mind. I read, listen to music or watch a dvd, and that helps, but still I have never even considered 2 hours. I've heard it said that riding a stationary bike is the equivalent of riding about 50% further on the road. An hour on the trainer equals 90 minutes on the road. Less downhill, drafting and soft-pedalling time. Wow, a 3 hour road ride equivalent in the winter. You are the man.

DirtyHippieUTE
12-30-2005, 02:51 PM
I started wearing a HR monitor last spring. One thing I noticed is that I'm working TONS harder on a real bike than on a spin bike. I think it has something to do with all of the other muscles involved in stabilization and balance.

I can see where the distance thing might be true, but it's really apples and oranges as far as effort is concerned.

SteelBlue
12-30-2005, 07:26 PM
So Dirty, will you be joining us in Solvang in March?

bluegoose
12-30-2005, 07:41 PM
I started wearing a HR monitor last spring. One thing I noticed is that I'm working TONS harder on a real bike than on a spin bike.

I love my HRM. I'm thinking of proposing soon.

Some people don't like them because they think it can limit your effort and intensity during hard workouts. For myself, I did the Death Ride this past year, with the goal of riding hard but keeping my HR below lactate levels at all costs. 10 1/2 hours later, I felt incredible, and was able to ride the last mountain pass harder than the previous 4. If I had spent much time above LT level, no question I would have bonked and bonked hard.

DirtyHippieUTE
12-30-2005, 07:55 PM
A. I have no idea what that means.
B. I hope it is nothing of a sexual nature.
C. Is for "Cookie" and that's good enough for me.
D. I doubt I will be joining anyone for anything in March.

From what I understand, the profs like to really dump on the 1L class right before spring break. We'll see.

What is Solvang?

SteelBlue
12-30-2005, 07:58 PM
A. I have no idea what that means.
B. I hope it is nothing of a sexual nature.
C. Is for "Cookie" and that's good enough for me.
D. I doubt I will be joining anyone for anything in March.

From what I understand, the profs like to really dump on the 1L class right before spring break. We'll see.

What is Solvang?

Don't worry, it's not a trip up Brokeback Mountain. Here's a link:
www.solvangcentury.com

Bluegoose, myself, Arhaea, Creekster, PAC and (maybe?) MikeWaters are doing the Solvang Century.

DirtyHippieUTE
12-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Nope... My Brother-in-law is getting married on the 9th. I told Mrs. Hippie that I'd "do what I can" to go to the wedding. I can just imagine how heading to CA for a ride would go over after making a fit about ditching school to go to a family wedding.