PDA

View Full Version : Check out Jimmer Fredette video

Indy Coug
05-25-2007, 12:56 PM
http://cougarsportsline.blogspot.com/

After seeing him for the first time, here are some of my thoughts:

1. Has superior range on his shot. He has a couple of pet moves to get open shots off the dribble, but I'm not sure how effective those moves will be at the D1 level
2. Has a solid frame
3. Quickness may be an issue at the D1 level
4. Appears to only be able to go to his right and uses his right hand near the basket when he should be using his left.
5. The clips don't show him do anything but shoot, so it's unclear what kind of PG he'd be in terms of running the offense and creating scoring opportunities for others.
6. His shot is a little unusual, with a little lower release point. His elbow gets a little flared out which might create a little inconsistency in his shot. He gets off his shots relatively quickly without a lot of wind up or wasted motion.
7. It's hard to tell, but he may not have a lot of verticality to his game.
8. I have no idea what kind of defender he is

So based on what I've seen (which may not be fair since the clips don't show all facets of his game)

1. He doesn't look like our future PG
2. He looks like he'd be an excellent instant offense guy off the bench who could run off of screens or making teams pay for collapsing on Plaisted
3. I see him being the replacement for Mike Rose, not Austin Ainge or Rashaun Broadus.

tooblue
05-25-2007, 01:26 PM

1. Has superior range on his shot. He has a couple of pet moves to get open shots off the dribble, but I'm not sure how effective those moves will be at the D1 level
2. Has a solid frame
4. Appears to only be able to go to his right and uses his right hand near the basket when he should be using his left.
5. The clips don't show him do anything but shoot, so it's unclear what kind of PG he'd be in terms of running the offense and creating scoring opportunities for others.
6. His shot is a little unusual, with a little lower release point. His elbow gets a little flared out which might create a little inconsistency in his shot. He gets off his shots relatively quickly without a lot of wind up or wasted motion.

So based on what I've seen (which may not be fair since the clips don't show all facets of his game)

2. He looks like he'd be an excellent instant offense guy off the bench who could run off of screens or making teams pay for collapsing on Plaisted
3. I see him being the replacement for Mike Rose, not Austin Ainge or Rashaun Broadus.

He's 6' 3" 190 -that size along with the ball handling and shot cannot be taught. His size, if he is able to put on some muscle, will allow him to get into the lane at the D1 level.

I hate to make comparisons but he looks and plays a lot like this guy who happens to be 6' 3" 210

http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profiles/DeronWilliams.html

Indy Coug
05-25-2007, 01:30 PM
He's 6' 3" 190 -that size along with the ball handling and shot cannot be taught. His size, if he is able to put on some muscle, will allow him to get into the lane at the D1 level.

I hate to make comparisons but he looks and plays a lot like this guy who happens to be 6' 3" 210

http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profiles/DeronWilliams.html

You must have access to a whole bunch of game film on Fredette that I haven't seen then.

MikeWaters
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree with Indy. I could see him playing the 2, or as a point scorer like Jason Terry (though their games are quite different).

If Fredette ends up being the same quality as Mike Rose, that will be a big disappointment.

One thing that sort of perplexes is me is the competition he is facing. Is New York that whitebread where he is? Hardly ever see a black player on the court. Let's face it, the competition is not all that and there isn't a lot of height on the court. Allowing all those dipsy-doo wrong-handed layups and 4 footers.

I assume that the fact he did well in AAU stuff indicates he can do well against better competition.

One of the real keys here is quickness. It's hard to tell how quick he is. And that will be important on defense especially.

jay santos
05-25-2007, 02:27 PM

2. Has a solid frame

Indy with the critical analysis instead of the homer defense. I like it. Keep it up.

Check out the Tyler Haws video and compare it to the Jimmer video. Haws would probably start for BYU as a high school junior. We need this kid.

I'm not going to give up on Jimmer, but the video is a little condemning. Incredible shot, but questionable quickness and athleticism, and level of competition that is pretty much a joke. My 12 yo daughter could defend him better than that poor #14 in the second video.

Indy Coug
05-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Indy with the critical analysis instead of the homer defense. I like it. Keep it up.

Check out the Tyler Haws video and compare it to the Jimmer video. Haws would probably start for BYU as a high school junior. We need this kid.

I'm not going to give up on Jimmer, but the video is a little condemning. Incredible shot, but questionable quickness and athleticism, and level of competition that is pretty much a joke. My 12 yo daughter could defend him better than that poor #14 in the second video.

Tyler Haws is probably the most important recruit in the last 10 years, especially if he isn't going to go on a mission.

(I have zero clue about his mission plans)

tooblue
05-25-2007, 03:12 PM
You must have access to a whole bunch of game film on Fredette that I haven't seen then.

My ridiculous comparison is equally ridiculous as your predictions, for we have seen the same game film ;)

Why don't we withhold judgment until we see him play. Now of course we could consider the fact that a number of eastern schools have recruited heavily, namely Syracuse ... I think that's the best evidence to date as to his talent.

tooblue
05-25-2007, 03:15 PM

How do you know the competition is so inferior to that of say Utah High school basketball? You're right, colleges all across America are flocking to the State of Utah for a chance to recruit Utah kids!

MikeWaters
05-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I think Utah basketball is inferior as well.

jay santos
05-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I think Utah basketball is inferior as well.

Watch the Collinsworth video and the Haws video, then watch the Jimmer video. It doesn't take much of a trained eye to see that the first two are a significant step up past Jimmer's video in terms of competitiveness. My point is not that Utah basketball is all that great in the first place.

Indy Coug
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
My ridiculous comparison is equally ridiculous as your predictions, for we have seen the same game film ;)

Why don't we withhold judgment until we see him play. Now of course we could consider the fact that a number of eastern schools have recruited heavily, namely Syracuse ... I think that's the best evidence to date as to his talent.

I can virtually guarantee you Syracuse didn't recruit Jimmer as a PG.

tooblue
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Watch the Collinsworth video and the Haws video, then watch the Jimmer video. It doesn't take much of a trained eye to see that the first two are a significant step up past Jimmer's video in terms of competitiveness. My point is not that Utah basketball is all that great in the first place.

There is not a significant step up as you call it, even to the untrained eye. Furthermore there are many trained eyes, commonly known as scouts who have Jimmer rated very high. You don't think they understand the relative competitiveness of high school ball in many different regions?

Indy Coug
05-25-2007, 03:38 PM
He had offers from BYU, Utah, Siena and UMass. Not Syracuse.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=2546323

tooblue
05-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I can virtually guarantee you Syracuse didn't recruit Jimmer as a PG.

But you can't Guarentee they or the many other eastern schools that recruited him didn't.

I see him as a bigger Jaycee Carroll -I think he will play both the point and the two guard.

jay santos
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
There is not a significant step up as you call it, even to the untrained eye. Furthermore there are many trained eyes, commonly known as scouts who have Jimmer rated very high. You don't think they understand the relative competitiveness of high school ball in many different regions?

I've never said anything about Jimmer that would rate him any lower than the scouts and major college programs do. But there's no question there is a significant competition difference between the Collinsworth/Haws videos and the Jimmer video.

Indy Coug
But you can't Guarentee they or the many other eastern schools that recruited him didn't.

I see him as a bigger Jaycee Carroll -I think he will play both the point and the two guard.

BYU didn't sign Lloyd, Morgan, Martineau and Rose because they thought Fredette was our PG of the future.

tooblue
He had offers from BYU, Utah, Siena and UMass. Not Syracuse.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=2546323

According to Scout.com, hardly the be all and end all source. According to media outlets in up state New York he was recruited by many other schools that moved on after he voiced a desire to go to BYU, namely Syracuse -when he was a sophomore and Junior.

tooblue
05-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I've never said anything about Jimmer that would rate him any lower than the scouts and major college programs do. But there's no question there is a significant competition difference between the Collinsworth/Haws videos and the Jimmer video.

It's relative ... who's taking and editing the video footage? Let's get them on the floor and see how they play!

Indy Coug
05-25-2007, 03:48 PM
According to media outlets in up state New York he was recruited by many other schools that moved on after he voiced a desire to go to BYU, namely Syracuse -when he was a sophomore and Junior.

Link?

tooblue
05-25-2007, 03:49 PM
BYU didn't sign Lloyd, Morgan, Martineau and Rose because they thought Fredette was our PG of the future.

Now you are in the mind of the coach? Maybe they have signed a number of guys to ensure a quality rotation at the one and two guard positions ... after all that would be wise, good recruiting ... considering your only real point was Ainge and he's gone.

tooblue
05-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Link?

Don't have one. Living near the region, watching ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox affiliates tv from Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse etc. I have followed the reports ... in fact didn't know he was a Mormon kid.

tooblue
05-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Don't have one. Living near the region, watching ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox affiliates tv from Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse etc. I have followed the reports ... in fact didn't know he was a Mormon kid.

By the way Canadian satellite and cable companies offer the major network affiliates from all of those US cities as a part of their basic package. The antennae atop my house picks up those stations as well.

I've seen Jimmer watching sports highlights and had no idea he was a Mormon ... nearly fell out of my chair when they talked about his choice of college.

RockyBalboa
05-25-2007, 04:52 PM
He reminds me of Gerry McNamara from Syracuse which is something I'm totally fine with.

mpfunk
05-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Word is on Tyler Haws is that he will be looking bigger than the instate schools. Someone said he will be deciding between UNC and Duke.

I do know this much Boylen has already offered him, but I doubt he is too optimistic that he gets him.

RockyBalboa
05-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Word is on Tyler Haws is that he will be looking bigger than the instate schools. Someone said he will be deciding between UNC and Duke.

I do know this much Boylen has already offered him, but I doubt he is too optimistic that he gets him.

Wouldn't surprise me if does go out of state. Still he's quite aways from committing to anyone simply just finishing up his Sophomore season.

I don't expect him to stay in state. Anything more would be a major recruiting upset in my opinion.

Blood_Runs_Blue
06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Are you kidding me? How are comparing the competiveness of Utah high school basketball to New Yorks? That is just laughable. I have seen Chris Collinsworth play my old high school at timpanogos last year and he didnt impress me at all, in fact his team lost that game and Timpanogos was a horrible team. I have seen Tyler Haws highlights from the chapionship game but I wasn't that impressed with him either. He is a good player but come on, he isn't as great as you make him out to be. All you have gone by on Jimmer's video is his offense, you haven't seen his defense you don't know how quick he really is so you can't be making these judgements already. Personally I think Jimmer is going to be an incredible player who is going to help us a lot.

San Juan Sun
06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Personally I think Jimmer is going to be an incredible player who is going to help us a lot.

Why exactly do you think he'll be an "incredible player"?

UteStar
06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Are you kidding me? How are comparing the competiveness of Utah high school basketball to New Yorks? That is just laughable. I have seen Chris Collinsworth play my old high school at timpanogos last year and he didnt impress me at all, in fact his team lost that game and Timpanogos was a horrible team. I have seen Tyler Haws highlights from the chapionship game but I wasn't that impressed with him either. He is a good player but come on, he isn't as great as you make him out to be. All you have gone by on Jimmer's video is his offense, you haven't seen his defense you don't know how quick he really is so you can't be making these judgements already. Personally I think Jimmer is going to be an incredible player who is going to help us a lot.

No offense, but that entire paragraph is laughable. I am not going to get into the quality of state of Utah hoops...but I am happy to do at another time (interstate games, AAU games, in state players playing college ball, etc.). I am not going to get into the quality of Jimmer--but we have seen high profile, big time players out of New York recently that came to the University of Utah that have done average at the university level.

Ricky Johns was all Bronx and the leading scorer of New York City hoops (30 points per game). He was heavily decorated out of high school. He led his team to the New York Public School championship as well. He played at Utah and though he did have a very fine senior season, expectations were not met.

Lawrence Bohra was an all-stater and was also the leading scorer for New York City (31.3 points per game) while averaging 13 boards a game. He then headed off to California for his senior season where he put up comparable numbers to his New York junior season. Bohra has been average at best for Utah.

What I am trying to say is--talk all you want about Jimmer. We have heard the talk before. Lets see what he does on the court in college before we label him the biggest thing ever. Cause us Ute fans have heard it before in regards to all New York, all world players.

il Padrino Ute
06-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Perhaps blood_runs_blue is a youngster and is impressed with style over substance.