PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft

marsupial
03-30-2007, 08:27 PM
My parents recently forwarded a piece of mail sent to me from a university that I applied to but never attended. Apparently they had a few desktops stolen that contained personal information on them and were warning individuals about the possibility of identity theft.

They recommended that I put a fraud alert on my credit file with the three credit reporting agencies. Has anyone done this before? We will be moving in a few months and with that comes numerous credit checks from landlords, power companies, etc. Could having a fraud alert cause some problems there?

Also, why in the heck would a university I never attended keep my information on file for more than 12 years? What is that about?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

MikeWaters
03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
serves you right for applying to a school besides BYU.

marsupial
03-30-2007, 08:31 PM
serves you right for applying to a school besides BYU.

Rest assured. I never applied to the U.

MikeWaters
03-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, it could cause problems I think. They have to jump thru an extra hoop to do a credit check. I put a fraud alert on after I lost my driver's license in an office depot (left it on the xerox machine when making a copy of it). I think you just call one of the agencies.

Mormon Red Death
03-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Rest assured. I never applied to the U.

there's your first problem..

SteelBlue
03-30-2007, 08:48 PM
You just call the agencies and it's all done via an automatic menu. The phone numbers are available online. IIRC the names are equifax, experian, and I can't remember the 3rd (Transunion?).

I did it when my wallet was stolen. Basically, anytime somebody tries to take out a loan using your name the institution offering the loan has to call you at your home phone to make sure it is really you. Well worth doing imo.

Equifax 1-800-685-1111
TransUnion - 800-916-8800
Experian - 888-397-3742

cougjunkie
03-30-2007, 09:20 PM
TJmaxx just had 45 million credit card numbers stolen.

ute4ever
03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
About 10 years ago I had to notify the three companies about fraud. They each put a 7-year alert on my record. I remember it being a real pain trying to open a checking account, and apply for a cell phone. (This was back when cell phones were not as common and procedural as today). The creditors were estopped from verifying my credit history.

Solon
03-31-2007, 12:10 AM
About 10 years ago I had to notify the three companies about fraud. They each put a 7-year alert on my record. I remember it being a real pain trying to open a checking account, and apply for a cell phone. (This was back when cell phones were not as common and procedural as today). The creditors were estopped from verifying my credit history.

I had to do this too about 1.5 years ago, but it was pretty easy. On the bright side, you probably won't get a lot of junk mail credit card offers. I know that part of the procedure was prohibiting unsolicited credit offers for a temporary amount of time.

BarbaraGordon
03-31-2007, 12:26 AM
On the bright side, you probably won't get a lot of junk mail credit card offers. I know that part of the procedure was prohibiting unsolicited credit offers for a temporary amount of time.

That's worth it right there.